Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
In Tastebuds We Trust
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > In Tastebuds We...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
branmuffin17
branmuffin17
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 4:28pm
Subject: In Tastebuds We Trust

My story of the day:

So I had ordered Intelligentsia's Black Cat Analog Espresso beans for the second time, having been very pleased with the first batch.  Got the shipment, put a pound into my bean storage container and commenced with drinking.  First shot timing was great, but I thought the taste was noticeably different.  Had just talked with Wayne, who said that Intelligentsia's beans might vary batch to batch based on their use of whatever beans they have available, so didn't really think twice...but I did notice, besides taste, that the beans looked a bit lighter in roast level, and were definitely a bit denser (16 grams didn't quite fill up my basket like the previous batch).

As I got down to the bottom of the first pound, pulled out the second bag to refill, and did a double-take when I realized that they sent me their Classic rather than Analog.  Aha!

So I contacted them, and I've now got a replacement shipment incoming =)  But I guess I should trust my tastebuds a bit more.  It's awesome finding out that I can in fact tell the difference in beans, hahaha.

And just an FYI, I definitely prefer the Analog beans.  Extremely rich and chocolatey!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:46pm
Subject: Re: In Tastebuds We Trust

Interesting to hear that, because I'm drinking classic right now.  I went to Intelly in Chicago and asked for a double shot and a bag of whatever he pulled for me.  So he pulled a classic and I bought a classic.  At intelly, the shot was amazing.  Really well balanced, but more acid/citrus notes than I expected.  On my home machine, I'm brewing tasty stuff, but not quite as well balanced as in the shop, and I'm having a hard time dialing down the citrus, which I'm getting even more of at home.  Maybe a switch to Analog is the right move for the next go around.
 View Profile Link to this post
branmuffin17
branmuffin17
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 2:20pm

Hey JerDGold,

The taste you're getting is pretty much what I'm experiencing, I think.  This would go along with my guess (because I didn't have the beans side by side for visual comparison) that the new beans (that turned out to be the Classic) are lighter roast in comparison to Analog.  I'd guess that the Classic is a bit closer to medium, and Analog is probably medium-dark.

On the website, suggested roast temp for the Classic is 1 degree F higher than Analog (200 vs. 199).  My machine has temp control at 1 degree C, so I can't get that precise, but I usually get beans that are closer to medium-dark, so I just leave it at 93 C (199.4 F).  Have you tried increasing temp just a bit for the Classic?

Let me know how you like Analog, if you get it!

~Brandon
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 9:29pm

Well I'm running a non-PID silvia, however, that being said, yes.  I have attempted brewing at what I believe to be a higher temperature than I would normally use.  Basically, when the Silvia is at her highest temp, I flush to boiling-temp water for about 1.5-2sec and then brew right away, and I'm still getting serious bright notes.  Tomorrow AM I plan to try lowering my dose from 16g to about 14.5g and tightening up my grind a bit and see what that yields me.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > In Tastebuds We...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.182955026627)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+