Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
New to home brewing Espresso, looking for a chocolaty mocha to brew.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > New to home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Hdale85

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 8:16pm
Subject: New to home brewing Espresso, looking for a chocolaty mocha to brew.

As the title says I'm new to Espresso brewing and just ordered an EC155 that I'm going to de-pressurize as well as upgrade the steaming wand. Now I'm looking to order some beans for when it arrives later this week, I'd really like something with lots of crema and a nice chocolate mocha flavor as we make a lot of milk drinks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, we do have a roaster that's not far from here but it's kind of hard to pick a coffee based on what they write on their site so I figured I'd ask you guys.  I'd like to spend around 20 bucks shipped or so for now. I did see the Muddy Dog coffee site and they have lots of options including one that says True Mocha which sounds interesting. Some of these sites don't really mention if they are espresso blends or more drip coffee? I'm not sure if it matters?
 View Profile Link to this post
Hdale85

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 4:10pm
Subject: Re: New to home brewing Espresso, looking for a chocolaty mocha to brew.

Did I post in the wrong forum or something?
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 7:31pm
Subject: Re: New to home brewing Espresso, looking for a chocolaty mocha to brew.

Ok, I'll bite.  I don't usually.

Klatch's Belle Espresso blend is highly recommended for "chocolatey" without actually having chocolate in the coffee.

Mocha Java isn't really mocha in flavor or in the cup.  It's a blend of coffee beans from Yemen and Java.  It tastes like coffee.

You get lots of crema from fresh beans, the proper grind and pressure.

Moka isn't mocha either.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Hdale85

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 7:57pm

wabbitt Said:

Ok, I'll bite.  I don't usually.

Klatch's Belle Espresso blend is highly recommended for "chocolatey" without actually having chocolate in the coffee.

Mocha Java isn't really mocha in flavor or in the cup.  It's a blend of coffee beans from Yemen and Java.  It tastes like coffee.

You get lots of crema from fresh beans, the proper grind and pressure.

Moka isn't mocha either.

Posted December 16, 2013 link

I see, what is Moka?

So basically any coffee shop that does a Mocha is adding chocolate to the drink?
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 8:04am

Hdale85 Said:

I see, what is Moka?

So basically any coffee shop that does a Mocha is adding chocolate to the drink?

Posted December 16, 2013 link

Moka is a type of stovetop brewer...you can check one out on google.

Yes, a mocha is espresso, frothed milk and chocolate syrup.  Now, there are beans that have tones of chocolate in their flavor profile, but that's not to say they "taste like chocolate".

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Hdale85

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 10:55am

Thanks! Well I ordered a 12oz bag of the Klatch's Belle Espresso as a lot of people seem to really like it so I'll give it a shot. I ordered from Whole Latte Love, are they generally pretty good about being fresh?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:02pm

Wait...you ordered Klatch beans from WHL? Why didn't you order them from Klatch? If you order from Klatch freshness is guaranteed because they ship to you on roast day. One can only assume that the beans you ordered we're shipped to WHL, and then sat around waiting for you to come along and order. Or maybe you're just paying WHL to order them for you from Klatch? The Belle sells for $13.50/12oz bag on klatchroasting.com.

Hdale85

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:02am

Well I was going to order them directly from Klatch but he doesn't accept AMEX, and unfortunately that's what my card is.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 10:16am

ah, I see.  Shoot them an email or call them. They are super friendly and will help you figure out the best way for you to order.

A few months ago, my bank terminated their VISA debit services and made all customers get a Discover debit card.  We were pretty pissed off.  In fact, when my wife told them we were going to change banks because it wasn't working out for us, they sent us VISA debit cards again.  

However, I found out a couple of things in the process.  One was (pertinent to your situation perhaps), Klatch will accept orders via email and send you a Paypal invoice. Some websites show more or less payment options available depending on whether you use Firefox, IE or Safari.

Hdale85

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 1:24pm

Oh, that's awesome. If I like it next time I order I'll have to do that. With how easy paypal makes it to put their merchant services on their site it'd be nice if they put it as an option.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > New to home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269073963165)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+