Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
"Forgiving" vs. "unforgiving" blends
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > "Forgiving" vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nile13

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 10:07pm
Subject: "Forgiving" vs. "unforgiving" blends

So, I'm fighting with Stumptown Hairbender yet again for the last few days. Go searching and find a couple really informative threads here to help out with experimenting on my QM Anita and Vario. Everybody pretty much agrees that Hairbender is a very unforgiving blend. But a wider question comes to mind.

Which blends do we consider forgiving? Which are unforgiving? Let's try to make a list here. And maybe keep it pinned if a good reference comes out of this thread?
 View Profile Link to this post
Will_H

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Linea Single Group Rebuild...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 1:16am
Subject: Re: "Forgiving" vs. "unforgiving" blends

I am with you.  I go back to Hairbender every few months and find myself feeling like bending something other than hair.  I try to buy from lots of west coast roasters, but end up mostly buying from Northwest roasters that ship.  Instead of offering a list of unforgiving blends, I will list a few that I have had multiple successes with.  

First, and my wife's favorite is Venia Coffee's Square Peg espresso.  I like it most at 200 degrees or a little more, brings out the chocolate, cranberries and peanuts.  If pulled a lower temp citrus (possibly orange zest?) brown sugar and nuttiness.  Either way it is really balanced on both ends of temperature and grind.  

Second, Veltons bonsai blend espresso.  Think they are mail order only, but have ordered a few times with great success.  Have had better shots before, but in the early morning when my machine isn't quite up to temp and I can't wait any longer it still pulls a very nice shot.  

Third, Kuma Red Bear espresso . It changes a bit more than other espressos through9out the year i have noticed, but usually is very nice.  Chocolate and fruity.  Maybe not as forgiving as the Square Peg or Bosnia, but still easy enough to get a good shot.  

Lastly, I like how Venia and Kuma tell you what beans are in their espresso blends, just like the transparency.
coffeeshone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 7:31am
Subject: Re: "Forgiving" vs. "unforgiving" blends

I've never found Hairbender to be a consistent and balanced espresso blend, for my taste. VS other roasters like redbird and Counter Culture where without adjusting the grind and starting in on a new bag I;m likely to get a great shot the first time around. for Stumptown, I actually much prefer the Holler Mountain. Not as acidic and more interesting flavors in my opinion. I likea large dose on a double shout and go for a 1.25- 1.5 oz super ristretto shot. Yeah!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > "Forgiving" vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.185513973236)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+