Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Try my blend?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Try my blend?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 6:59am
Subject: Re: Try my blend?

I've written a comprehensive review of the HG One for this site about a month ago.

It's awesome to use.  I called it the Ferrari of hand grinders :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:51am

Sorry for getting back so late, I've been away from life with work lately. I can't seem to get your email from your profile if you are still interested in another tester.
bodkacoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: US Roaster 5k
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:57am

David@bodkacoffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 12:33pm

I froze the rest of the batch in Ball canning jars and zip bags, pulled one out last night to defrost. Still awesome, love it in milk.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 1:32am

Okay I just finished reviewing some additional beans David sent me after my initial negative reaction with the first batch of beans he sent out to everyone for taste testing.

I have come to the conclusion that the Bodka blends are much too lacking in acidity for my tastes.  David sent me a second package containing two lighter roasts, the first being a lighter, unspecified roast, and a second being an Ethiopan+Sumatran blend.   The burnt taste still dominate the flavor profile of both roasts.

Thank you David for letting me test your coffee.   I genuinely found it very educational. Not only do I learn about the coffee but more importantly I learn something about myself and/or my technique.
bodkacoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: US Roaster 5k
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 3:44am

Ok, thanks. Now somebody educate me. Why would there be a lack of acidity and a burnt taste In a lighter roast? I don't stall the roast.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 5:21am

Definitely didn't get any burnt taste, don't see how thats possible with a lighter roast and no lack of acidity either, even if stalled, I think of burnt flavors as akin to charred dark beans. Weebit - are you sure your Cremina parameters aren't off again? Even in milk the acidity came through clearly for us, maybe not as bright tasting as some others, maybe thats what you meant? Then again everyone has different taste.

wish I had that setup though, we all know its finicky but a Cremina + an HG One sounds killer lol
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 1:03am

CMIN Said:

Weebit - are you sure your Cremina parameters aren't off again? Even in milk the acidity came through clearly for us, maybe not as bright tasting as some others, maybe thats what you meant?

Posted November 26, 2013 link

Not really.  I guess my palate has been calibrated to the deep, fruity flavors of the "third wave" coffees that I've grown accustomed being served up at coffee bars.

About the question of parameters.  Of course it's not outside the realm of possibility that something was off, but I would say that I'm very certain they were good.  Given my last mistake, I made sure the boiler was always adequately filled and as a result the brew temps at the group consistently measured 200 degrees F, give or take a degree.    Adjusting the grind coarseness and upping the dose did bring out more of the fruit flavor, however at that point the shots became closer to double ristrettos than single espressos which in turn accentuates any flaws in the cup.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Try my blend?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236625909805)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+