Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Roasted espresso bean storage
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Roasted espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 10:30am
Subject: Re: Here we go again! Roasted espresso bean storage

Okay, here's my take on the things I've used to store beans.

I started out keeping them in the the bags I purchased them in.  They didn't last more than a week before I could tell the were getting old.

Then I moved to ziplock bags.  Each time, I squeezed out all of the air.  This worked well as they seemed perfectly fresh for at least 3 weeks before I started noticing changes.  Handling the bags were a bit unwieldy, so I got kind of tired of using them.

For convenience, I moved to these semi-opaque plastic "tuppeware" containers. I don't know if they were actualy tupperware, but it's all the same junk anyway.  They were terrible and the coffee immediately degraded within a few days of using them.

I finally got around to buying some containers made especially for coffee.   So I got a pair of tightvac containers, one for 1/2 lb, and one for a full lb of roast.   They didn't work all that much better, only lasting about 2 weeks before I notice changes in the coffee.  My biggest gripe with TightVac is that they are not TIGHT nor are they vacuum.   The seal is not only semi-air tight, but air does flow freely in and out of the container.  Its only when you try to force it open when you create a vacuum..And even then if you persist, air continues to seep into the container through the narrow gaps between the lid and the bottom half.  There is absolutely no rubber seal.  Just sort of held on by static. It's pretty ingenious, despite the false marketing.  Nevertheless they aren't as great as I had hoped, after reading so many reviews on them on Amazon.

Lastly I moved to AirScape SS canisters.  These have two lids, a clear one on the outside, and an inner air-tight one that has a hinged handle, a one way valve and a seal around the edge..  The idea is to push the cap down to let all of the air out through the valve, and then pushing down the lid handle into a flat position which seals the valve.  Then you put the plastic cover on the top of the canister, as a secondary measure.  It works great and is the best product of them all for storing coffee.. (next to using a food saver and vacuuming the beans tightly and placing them in an opaque bag or container, or simply in an enclosed cupboard).

I don't believe in buying vacuum canisters with a vacuum device because the seals never hold over time and vacuuming is a cumbersome thing to do every time you want to put your coffee away.
 View Profile Link to this post
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 8:27am

z0mbie Said:

Then I moved to ziplock bags.  Each time, I squeezed out all of the air.  This worked well as they seemed perfectly fresh for at least 3 weeks before I started noticing changes.  Handling the bags were a bit unwieldy, so I got kind of tired of using them.

Posted November 8, 2013 link

Well, I NEVER keep beans for more than ~1 week unless they are in the freezer. (Not that I wouldn't. It is just that I only buy 1 pound or less of each blend at a time - OK, sometimes I buy 19 oz. - and use them up too quickly.)

z0mbie Said:

I finally got around to buying some containers made especially for coffee...They didn't work all that much better, only lasting about 2 weeks before I notice changes in the coffee...

I am using truly air-tight containers like these but with NO vacuum and mine are smaller as each will hold a little over 1 pound of beans. These work fine but I don't put the beans into them until ~3 days post roast to allow time for de-gassing.

z0mbie Said:

Lastly I moved to AirScape SS canisters.  These have two lids...It works great and is the best product of them all for storing coffee...

These were considered but I use my beans too frequently...5 to 8 times per day, every day of the week. It seems too "bothersome" to be going through the closing/sealing gyration.  

z0mbie Said:

I don't believe in buying vacuum canisters with a vacuum device because the seals never hold over time and vacuuming is a cumbersome thing to do every time you want to put your coffee away.

AGREED!

So, with what are we left?

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 5:14pm

I buy my beans in 5 pound packages for the sake of postage then freeze all but 1/2 pound of it.  I put all of the frozen beans in these cans that are available at:
Click Here (www.specialtybottle.com)

I get about 6 shots worth of beans in a single can.  When one can runs about 1/2 full I pull out the next can for it to warm up.  The cans have a plastic liner in the lid that keeps a tight seal.  When I get a new batch of coffee I just fill the cans to level and cap, label with bean, roast date & freeze date.  Whatever doesn't fit into the cans goes into a foodsaver vacuum bag for freezing and later bulk dispensing.

I've found the small cans to be really good for my use.

DanoM: ttl8.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Buckley

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:24pm

DanoM,
Thanks for the link.  Very Handy.  If you need a larger size, an Illy can sounds like the same plastic-lined twist top container.
B
DanoM

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 2:58pm

Yes, I was using an Illy large can for my shelf storage before these.  The Illy smaller can would be perfect for someone going through more shots or more volume I think.  I got tired of vacuum sealing all those small foodsaver bags, and these cans have helped the situation tremendously!
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 9:23am

DanoM Said:

...When I get a new batch of coffee I just fill the cans to level and cap, label with bean, roast date & freeze date.  Whatever doesn't fit into the cans goes into a foodsaver vacuum bag for freezing and later bulk dispensing.

Posted November 11, 2013 link

These cans clearly don't allow de-gassing? Does this mean that you just let them in thier shipping bag until de-gassed?

I am trying to avoid letting my beans in a non-airtight container for 3 days after roasting because I have found that they do degrade somewhat in those 3 days vs. beans stored in bags with one-way air valve. Sealing them in an airtight container THAT DOES NOT HAVE A ONE-WAY AIR VALVE immediately after roast causes nasty tasting espresso.

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 12:47am
Subject: Re: Roasted espresso bean storage

I roast my beans and leave them out overnight in an open CorningWare bowl. Since the beans are giving off CO2 immediately after roasting them, I don't worry about the effects of oxygen on the beans. The next morning I cover the beans tightly with Saran Wrap and poke two/three pin holes in the Saran Wrap. One day later I change the wrap and go air tight for a day. The beans are then ground for espresso, gone in two days.

I find this works as well as my old method. I used to roast commercially, but lost my accounts, leaving me with at least 300 one pound mylar coffee bags, with gas buttons. I have a handheld sealer capable of sealing these heavy duty bags. It just got to be a pain taking scissors to the bag to open, then heating up my sealer and resealing everytime I wanted a fix. I like the new plastic lined paper bags with gas buttons and wire crimp seals, but they are pricey for home use.

I now use the bags for the few customers I have left that buy 1 pound bags of my roasted coffee.
DanoM

Posted Mon Nov 25, 2013, 7:59am

Worldman Said:

These cans clearly don't allow de-gassing? Does this mean that you just let them in thier shipping bag until de-gassed?

I am trying to avoid letting my beans in a non-airtight container for 3 days after roasting because I have found that they do degrade somewhat in those 3 days vs. beans stored in bags with one-way air valve. Sealing them in an airtight container THAT DOES NOT HAVE A ONE-WAY AIR VALVE immediately after roast causes nasty tasting espresso.

Posted November 15, 2013 link

Sorry for the late reply.
No, the can's don't allow for degassing, but keeping them in the freezer they don't degas at all anyway.

Generally my repacking goes like this:
I order beans, they take 2 days to get to me post roast date.  That's 3 days.
They sit in the box 1 more day.  That's 4 days.
All beans go into airtight containers be it the little cans or plastic tubs filled.  Into a -10F freezer until the day before use.
Come out of the freezer and stay sealed until they reach room temp.  At that point I open the can for a couple hours to let them breathe a bit.  The can gets opened up every shot for a couple minutes to breathe too.

Granted, there are probably better ways to divide and store, but this works well for me.
adie
adie

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:23am

someone mentioned freezer storage- I thought I'd rad that keeping beans in the freezer wilel lead to moisture build up? that an airtight/sunlight blocking container might be better? (I use a sealed canister and keep it in a cool cabinet and don't purchase large amounts of beans at a time)

As for bean blends: There is a coffee shop in Kansas City, MO called the Broadway Cafe- their espresso blend is the best I've found for my little machine. I' always get their beans when I travel to KC, MO and have ordered online as well- they do sell their blend online- I love it. It's not a dark/oily mess- it's a blend of beans each roasted then blended- who knows if that matters but that's what they do- and it's a lovely flavor.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:43am
Subject: Re: Roasted espresso bean storage

I freeze no prob, I usually have at least 2lbs at any given time and there's no possible way to store that in vac containers in a cabinet without it going stale fast once popped open (been there done that lol). I break batches down into zip bags with air squeezed out then placed inside Ball Canning Jars and stick in the freezer, each one usually last like 3 days or so... like having fresh beans all the time. Even had a batch today from 2 months ago, and pulled shots with no prob with only a little tighter adjustment on the micro arm.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Roasted espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339972019196)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+