Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Origins suitable for espresso
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Origins suitable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
ReecesPieces

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza, Moka Pot
Drip: Ceramic pourover
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 5:24am
Subject: Re: Origins suitable for espresso

emradguy Said:

I'll say it once more...get yourself a good grinder!

Now, back to your original question...espresso is a method. Light roast, dark roast, doesn't really matter. Any bean type can be used. Having said that, most 'spro is made with a blend and mostly the roast is medium to slightly dark. Brazils are pretty heavily used in some of the better blends I've tried, and I really like the Daterras I've had as s.o. espresso.

Posted October 27, 2013 link

I didn't realize blends were preferable. Good to know. Most of the roasters I had sought advice from to find my pourover coffee had steered me towards Single origin, so I suppose I thought espresso would be the same. I'm really glad I asked around here first. There's so much to learn!!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 7:40am

ReecesPieces Said:

I didn't realize blends were preferable. Good to know. Most of the roasters I had sought advice from to find my pourover coffee had steered me towards Single origin, so I suppose I thought espresso would be the same. I'm really glad I asked around here first. There's so much to learn!!

Posted October 28, 2013 link

Yeah, it's all very subjective.  You just have to try different beans and blends and figure out what you like...and what you're in the mood for.  I almost alwyas use single origins in my presspot, and almost always prefer blends for my espresso...but every so often... :-)

The mass producing part of the coffee industry has convinced the general public that there's something called an espresso roast...espresso blend, yes, but roast - utter nonsense.  On one hand, it allows them to buy whatever cheap-a$$ beeans they can find, roast them until they taste like charcoal, and then sell them to their customers. Of course, this also allows the beans to all taste the same, no matter where they came from. It's kind of sad really, because people then start to think that it's good.  This bean burning also allows them to convince people that espresso tastes best when you pay an extra dollar for pumping in a flavored sugary syrup (which is actually necessary, just to cover up the ash flavor).  So now, you've got people drinking overpriced, over-roasted beans, and then overpaying for the flavoring to make it palatable...oh, and don't forget the scorched milk...and that's why they're making money hand over fist.  Ah, but I digress...sorry

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ReecesPieces

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza, Moka Pot
Drip: Ceramic pourover
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 2:47pm

Haha! I know exactly which mass producer you're referring to. It always amazes me that no matter which of their coffees you drink, they manage to have the same trademark taste. It's so obvious even a coffee newbie could pick it out of a blind taste test. And I agree, everything there is burned to $#!+ and overly bitter and you need the flavorings to make them even remotely palatable.
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 9:10am

ReecesPieces Said:

I'm just getting into coffee and have purchased my first espresso machine, a Gaggia Carezza. I am still trying to decide on a grinder, so for now I will have to buy coffee every few days and have them grind it at the shop. What I'm  wondering is what origins are best suited to espresso? For my pourover coffee I use a Costa Rican Tarrazu, which suits both my boyfriend and myself perfectly, and for my mokka pot I have been using a Sumatra Mandheling, which we were happy with but would like to keep searching. I'm truly new enough that I'm not sure what direction to try next. I know the Tarrazu is on the light end, so not ideal for espresso, and the Mandheling is darker, but isn't quite my perfect flavor profile. Any advice on what I should try or easy to understand resources that offer some education on the topic? Thanks for your help!

Posted October 27, 2013 link

Just to answer your original question any origin can be used for espresso. It's more dependent on roast and grind. I mainly drink SO espesso and have enjoyed Tarrazu as an espresso many times . it's all a matter of your taste preference. Do you like 3rd wave fruity espresso or traditional expresso. If you like 3rd wave SO's try Guats and Africans. for more traditional espesso try SO Brazilians or go the old world blend route. As far as your grinder issue preground coffee will not net you a good espresso no matter what origins you choose. Fresh coffee is key - read the rules of 15's . Once you get your grinder try your Tarrazu as espresso again (world of difference when ground fresh). For espresso the Tarrazu your drinking now is prob only roasted to a city or city+. If you want more chocolate and caramels ask your roaster to take the roast a little farther like to a Full City roast.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Origins suitable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243157863617)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+