Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Try my blend?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Try my blend?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
bodkacoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: US Roaster 5k
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 5:50pm
Subject: Re: Try my blend?

Please post your opinions, good or bad.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 6:59pm

bodkacoffee Said:

Please post your opinions, good or bad.

Posted November 16, 2013 link

I guess I'm the only one here that found the beans to be undrinkable.  The beans looked okay, smelled okay, and even pulled perfectly, but all had an overwhelming burnt flavor and lacked any acidity or bitterness or coffee flavor. Nothing what espresso should taste like.  Anyway I hope I'm not being too harsh.. Just honest.

To ensure my parameters were consistent, I pulled shots before and after pulling the David's blend, using two different roasts (my own and Heart Coffee's Stereo blend), and they both produced outstanding shots.

I asked my SO to record my process to share with you guys..

http://youtu.be/_aV94QSeRdk

I have tried them every day now since getting the beans, to see if they would improve over time, but unfortunately they haven't.  

BTW, I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but I don't think so.  Comments welcome.
 View Profile Link to this post
bodkacoffee

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 9:00pm

I did get some good reviews on this roast. I wonder why your beans taste so bad? I mean, is there something, anything, that could happen to them in shipping? I doubt it as the coffee bag itself should have kept bad stuff out. I sent you a lighter roast. See if that's an improvement.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013, 9:56pm

Weird, mine didn't taste burnt at all, actually similar to another blend I have, pry b/c they both may be heavy on the Guatemalan? My wife liked it too, both as shots and in milk.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 1:01am

Okay I'm going to try again, I think my settings must be off.  I will be checking my shot temp, brewer temp and pressure.

Will report back.. i'll take another video for you guys.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 11:19am

Good news, guys..   I figured out what was wrong.

Last night, I pulled a couple of shots last night and to my surprise it actually tasted alright, a huge difference from the last few days. I still couldn't figure out what the difference might be.  It was getting late so I decided to sleep on it.

Thinking about it more this morning, an interesting thought came to me. The only difference was that last night I had filled the boiler up to the very top because the water level was getting low. I thought..hmmm could that have something to do with it?  

So with the boiler close to full, I pulled out my pressure gauge and hooked it up to the steam wand.  I measured the boiler pressure at 1.2 bar.  I measured the water temperature at the group and it was exactly 200F.  Then I proceeded to flushed the boiler down to 1/3 full and waited for the light to go out on my Cremina.  The pressure was again at 1.2bar but this time the water temperature at the group had risen to 207!  I continue doing short flushes and the temperature kept rising.. 209.. 210.. Holy crap.  By the time the boiler was almost empty the thermometer was reading 214.  BINGO!!

It turns out the for quite some time I had been pulling shots with the boiler half full.  Each day I was only filling up the boiler as much as I used the previous day, rather than to full. My revelation--with subsequent shots, as the water decreases so does temperature stability, despite normal boiler pressure.  

Until now, I hadn't run into this problem because day to day while the water level was only half full, the water temperature were okay because I would only pull one shot each time I used the machine.  But in my tests, I was doing many shots in succession without filling the boiler up, so naturally the water temps were rising as the water decreased, which was the reason why the shots with the David's blend tasted totally burnt.

Now you might be curious about another point-- I did previously state that I pulled before and after shots with my own roasts when I initially tested David's for comparison purpose. So why didn't those taste burnt? Because coincidentally those were the first shots, and as for the after shot, I must have added cold water to the boiler (because it was low after 6 shots) and so the water temp for that final test shot was back at proper temperature.

Despite the confusion, I'm pretty glad I ran into this problem.  I learned something new about lever machines.  The manual does say to fill up the water to full but I thought it was only saying that because a new machine is always empty!  <facepalm>

I might not be so critical next time I see a someone mod their Cremina with a PID! LOL.. These machines can be tricky!
bodkacoffee

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 4:17pm

That makes me feel better. I have found, though, that not everyone cares for the same coffee. I'm glad you found that it tastes better now. :)
gophishin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: bonavita immersion dripper
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 12:44pm

For the "vario shooting all over", it's actually pretty minimal, but the beans I was using a few days prior, ground directly into the PF, all made it there.  This roast, for whatever reason, seems to be a little more erratic, not a big deal really, just an observation.  This was with different doses as well.

As for the beans themselves, I'm really pleased with how well they hold up in a latte.  They were good in an americano and straight, but so far with milk, the blend powers through (in a good way) to make a well rounded latte.  I'm still playing around with them, but so far finding slightly lower doses (17.3 in) than previous are working really well.
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 12:59pm

z0mbie Said:

http://youtu.be/_aV94QSeRdk

Posted November 16, 2013 link

Scotty,

What grinder is that in the video? Where did you get it? How do you like it and what other grinders have you used?

Ahhhh...I see it is an HG One. Did you pay (anything near) list for yours?

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
bodkacoffee

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 4:23pm

That is a really cool grinder. I'd like to use one and see what it's like.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Try my blend?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271863937378)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+