Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Higher caffeine levels in some beans?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Higher caffeine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 7:40pm
Subject: Higher caffeine levels in some beans?

Just out of curiosity, do some roasters have a higher caffeine content in their beans than other roasters?  I occasionally get a particular blend and noticed that my heart tends to start beating faster & skipping beats with this particular blend and not with other blends I've used.  I only use espresso blends.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 1:55am
Subject: Re: Higher caffeine levels in some beans?

Caffeine contents vary: Green beans contain about 0.92.6% of caffeine depending on the variety. After roasting about 1.32.0 % still remain, whereupon arabica beans generally have less caffeine than robusta.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 9:03am

Chanty Said:

Just out of curiosity, do some roasters have a higher caffeine content in their beans than other roasters?  I occasionally get a particular blend and noticed that my heart tends to start beating faster & skipping beats with this particular blend and not with other blends I've used.  I only use espresso blends.

Posted September 30, 2013 link

Absolutely.  Other than the obvious Arabica vs Robusta, caffeine levels in your cup are also affected by the coffee bean's growing season, roast level (lighter roast are generally higher in caffeine), and brew method.  I'm sure there are other factors.  Perhaps you are more caffeine sensitive right now.  On the other end of the spectrum, people can also build up a caffeine tolerance.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ryebread119
Ryebread119
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Elektra Sixties
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 1:42pm

Yes! When you order an espresso roast from different roasters, you are specifying the roast profile (i.e., the darkness of the coffee). Most roasters create their own espresso blend. Each blend is very different between roasters. Some might use a blend of Kenyan, Ethiopian, and Guatemalan for example, while another roaster blends together a Honduran bean with a Brazilian bean. Right now, it's pretty popular to pull "single origin" espresso. The caffeine content is dependant on the coffee strain, the country of origin, and the roast profile. If you are only buying espresso roasts, lets assume they are arabica, then the caffeine content is most reliant on the specific blend of coffee's they include in their roast.

I've attached this link which lists the relative caffeine content of arabica and robusta by country of origin:
http://vdpcoffee.nl/Coffein.pdf

Listen to the steam, the sign of a good drink is in it's acoustics.
LaurenMartin
LaurenMartin
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 2:56am

I have heard that espresso coffee has more caffeine than regular drip coffee. and that all depends on several factors including brew time, dwell time, water temperature, grind level, roast level, bean type, blend, etc. that all have a significant affect on the final extraction of caffeine.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 3:44am

LaurenMartin Said:

I have heard that espresso coffee has more caffeine than regular drip coffee. and that all depends on several factors including brew time, dwell time, water temperature, grind level, roast level, bean type, blend, etc. that all have a significant affect on the final extraction of caffeine.

Posted October 3, 2013 link

The OP is asking two different questions:

The first being in the subject title, which refers to caffeine in beans.. Answer: The roasting process actually reduces caffeine in beans.  The darker the roast the less caffeine. Thereby light and medium roasts have higher caffeine content than French and Italian roast.   And obviously green coffee will have the most.

The second question is in his message body and pertains to the drinks themselves.  He asks if espresso coffee has more caffeine than regular drip. Answer: By equal volume, absolutely. Espresso is far more concentrated.  But assuming the both drinks used the same quantity of grounds by weight (albeit roasted differently), then no.  The 1 oz shot of espresso will actually have less caffeine than the 8 oz cup of coffee because of the reason above. Espresso roast is generally darker and therefore contain less caffeine concentrations.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 6:51am

Yes, caffeine content varies on the kind of beans being roasted. However, roasting also affect the caffeine content.

Here are the facts about the caffeine content when roasted:
  1.  Measuring the coffee by weight can actually have more caffeine in dark roast because the water loss is faster than the caffeine loss during roasting.
  2.  Measuring the coffee by volume such as by scoop, less caffeine can be expected because beans expand as you roast.
  3.  Light roast can simply have more caffeine because you will have more coffee grounds.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Higher caffeine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255990028381)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+