Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Best espresso in GTA, Canada?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Best espresso in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka, Bodum...
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 6:57pm
Subject: Best espresso in GTA, Canada?

Ok, calling all Coffeegeeks in Southern Ontario. In your opinion, what Cafés pull the most exceptional shots in the Toronto, Oakville, Hamilton area?

And what roasters in Ontario do you recommend for beans?

This is one of the largest markets by population in North America. Somebody must be brewing/roasting something magical.

Thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 7:10am
Subject: Re: Best espresso in GTA, Canada?

Anyone....anyone there?
john_ertw

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 4:52am

Check out this thread which included roasters in the Toronto area:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
ECM
ECM

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 6:02am

Oh man… I have a really exceptional espresso bar for you to try out:  http://tampcoffee.com/  

The shop is located in down town Burlington, Ontario at: 2049 Pine Street Unit #65.  

I stumbled upon it by accident one day when walking my dog.  I ordered an espresso expecting the usual affair; a burnt tasting over extracted mess.  What I received was something quite wonderful and uplifting.  In fact, I was so blown away I even wrote up a small review which is now posted on their site:  

http://tampcoffee.com/2013/04/customer-review-2/#comments

Their preparatory espresso blend was developed by Social Coffee specifically for the owner and his customers. They use a Mazzer Robour E grinder and pull the shots on a La Marzocco Strada BP.  Trust me … the owner Jimmy and his lovely wife knows their business when it comes to dialing in the grind perfectly.  The espresso has a spicy yet fruity flavor that just about brings me to me knees every time!  

What’s more, they are more then just your average espresso bar.  Jimmy takes great pride in educating the public regarding other less know methods of coffee preparation such as chemex and pour-over.  It’s not unusual to be sitting there enjoying your brew and hearing Jimmy discuss the finer details of coffee preparation with his customers.  All his coffee is fair trade which is an important part of being a responsible business owner and world citizen.  His shop also provides gluten free treats as well as other really tasty items to tempt the pallet.  

If you are ever in the Burlington area drop by and pay Jimmy and his crew a visit.  Tell him that Rob suggested you come in for a cup.  

Have fun,

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:50am

Hi Rob. This is great news! I actually live in north Burlington. I just assumed my hometown was a Starbucks/Second Cup wasteland, and didn't even consider it possible that we had a place like Tamp Coffee.

I work in Toronto, and until I invest in my home espresso equipment, I have been, and continue to get my espresso fix at Cafes in Toronto. Although, there's a wide range of espresso quality in Toronto, from disappointing to sometimes excellent. But I still have many places to sample.

I can't wait to give Tamp Coffee a try. It looks like they're very serious about every aspect of what they do. Your review certainly paints a vivid picture of their meticulous preparation and daily routine.

Cheers for telling me about them. I had no idea Tamp Coffee even existed. This is the kind of local place I’ve been hoping for.

I'll let you know how it goes when I pop in! Any other places you like in the GTA?
ECM
ECM

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 9:37am

No that's really it for me as I don't drive.  I'm like you... I thought this place was a NO espresso zone until I doscovered Tamp.  

Best of luck,

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Best espresso in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224186182022)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+