Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Portland, OR: Stumptown: Holler Mountain
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Portland, OR:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SeattleSlew
SeattleSlew
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium, Rancilio...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Chemex 12 & Bodum Vac Pot
Roaster: Stumptown!
Posted Tue Mar 22, 2005, 12:27am
Subject: Portland, OR: Stumptown: Holler Mountain

Here in Portland we have a flair for the sustainable, renewable and organic. In that vein there's a coupon book published (there's a seattle variation as well) called the Chinook Book. I was having some geek friends over for an evening of dinner, beers, gaming and of course coffee, so I decided to hit up Stumptown and treat the boys to something special. Normally I get the Hairbender for my espresso, but I wanted to use my Chinook Book coupon "Buy 1/2 lb. get 1/2 lb of any organic coffee free". I didn't really want to stray from my favorite blend, but i had the coupon and the cheapskate got the better of me, so I got the Holler Mountain and brought her home.

I'm new here so apologies if this is a repeat, and I won't be surprised if it is, but the heavenly fluids that came pouring forth from my Andreja this evening were bar none the finest that I've not only produced, but likely have ever tasted to date.

That's it. Just a gleaming recommendation on a coffee I probably wouldn't have otherwise tried. So thanks Chinook Book and Stumptown. If you're interested, the book has the same type of coupons for a few other Portland roasters, along with a lot of other great stuff. The $20 price tag quickly pays for itself when you're saving $6 a pop on a pound.

As an aside, the double machiatto they poured me at stumptown when I ordered my beans was also fantastic. Even had a machiatto sized bit of latte art to boot.

Another one of the portland roaster coupons is for K&F, has anyone had good experiences? I've had it years ago, but haven't tried it since joining the ranks of prosumer owners. Any other smallish portland roasters you like?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Tue Mar 22, 2005, 8:06am
Subject: Re: Portland, OR: Stumptown: Holler Mountain

Glad to hear you liked it.
You might also want to check out the Nicargua Segovia that's in stock right now as well the Rwanda Karaba. Both make very nice single-origin espresso.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SeattleSlew
SeattleSlew

Posted Tue Mar 22, 2005, 11:31am

I'll have to burn through the two pounds I have on hand but I'll give it a shot once I'm out.

What can I expect to be different out of a single-origin vs.a blend like Holler Mountain or Hairbender? When I used to drip I'd get single origin sometimes and noticed differences, but I'm guessing I'll find that one or two characteristics are really jumping out at me when making espresso with the same.

Thanks!

So on top of your other duties, do you put in time behind the machine at the shop? I've only been to the Stumptown on Belmont because it's closest, but I'll venture out to the others once I'm beanless.

-- Erik
malachi
malachi

Posted Tue Mar 22, 2005, 1:01pm

as a very serious generalization... with single origin espressos you're more likely to get a clearly defined picture of the varietal/terroir/harvest/roast. this can often result in a flavour that is less rounded than what you would get with a blend.

of course - good single origin espressos tend to be wonderful to drink, great single origin espressos tend to be as good if not better than good blends and bad single origin espressos are (to paraphrase Dr Illy) like 30 minutes of dentistry.

i usually work at least two bar shifts per week and rotate through all the locations. right now, however, i'm not working bar shifts for a while due to a broken leg.

each location has its own distinct feeling and style. most people have a favorite for them. i'd suggest trying them all and figure out which one you feel best in.
SeattleSlew
SeattleSlew

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:22am

Checked out division last afternoon and had a very sexy machiatto and was able to get some work done. I'm headed over to NW for a friend's art show this afternoon so I'll stop in at the new store and check it out as well. Just about out of Holler Mountain, I'll take your advice and pick up a couple SO's to try.
mortgageman

Espresso: andreja premium
Grinder: mazzer mini
Drip: press pot/presto scand.
Roaster: wife won't let me
Posted Fri Mar 25, 2005, 1:21pm

Sorry if I'm not supposed to be changing subjects like this but since I saw Chris' reply I hoped to ask a ? about Hairbender. Just went through my 1st lb - Seemed to me to be better at lower temps . Is this generally the case with hairbender ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
malachi
malachi

Posted Fri Mar 25, 2005, 1:25pm

On commercial machines we spec a brew temp of 200F and a brew pressure of 9.1BAR.
We also spec 19gram dosing for an OEM La Marzocco double basket and 27 second extraction of 0.9oz per shot.
You should get some nice high-toned fruit good sweetness up front, butterscotch in the body and dutch processed cocoa in the finish.
Lovepink8921

Posted Tue Aug 13, 2013, 6:50pm

Does the holler blend have any nutrition info?
Flori

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 1:19am

thank you for sharing this. will definitely get myself a bag and taste it for myself.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 10:43am

I like it better than hairbender.  It seems less harsh than hairbender when I make it at home.  I have not had it prepared by a barista in a shop.  Most places if they serve stumptown use hairbender.  And when I have gone to stumptown directly I have always had single origin or something else exotic.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Portland, OR:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237465143204)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+