Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Starbucks like blend?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Starbucks like...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
bdixon

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 7:14am
Subject: Starbucks like blend?

I'm pretty new and realize that you are thinking...who the heck would want a blend that tastes similar to Starbucks.  However, this geek was conditionally allowed to purchase my first expresso machine and grinder but ONLY if I could replicate the drink my wife orders from Starbucks (she drinks lattes and caps mostly).

Personally, I like caps and traditional Macchiato's which I get from a local coffee shop to date and I will be trying lots of the recommended blends with my new machine over time (Redbird, Velton's, Klatch, etc).

But for my wife, I need to quickly dial in a replica before she has time to hold it over my head (like most good wives do).  What internet order blend would have a similar taste profile?  The cheaper the better obviously.

Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:07am
Subject: Re: Starbucks like blend?

she doesn't like the latte's produced by higher quality blends? I would think to replicate starbucks you'd just have to add a lot of sugar and other unhealthy additives.

Well, we call it charbucks for a reason so you'd need a darker roast, which i think redbird would satisfy (probably cheaper than starbucks too). I'm not saying redbird is charred, just that its the only higher quality coffee i know that is roasted longer.
bdixon

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:15am

Charbucks lol.  I never thought it was that bad from a taste perspective, but the price and the proportions of espresso to milk is where I have found it severely lacking.  

Well, I imagine she will be a convert over time...but initially she expects (demands) that she get's it exactly like what she gets at Starbucks.  Surprisingly, she doesn't get the usual assortment of sugar additives.  If Redbird is the solution, that will be easy (as that's the first I've ordered for myself).  But as close I can get to the charbucks blend initially, the more likely I will survive.
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:22am

If your wife likes the Starbuck's taste so much, why not simply get their beans for her coffee? But then again, who knows? Maybe she'll like a latte made with real espresso even better.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
bdixon

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:26am

NobbyR Said:

If your wife likes the Starbuck's taste so much, why not simply get their beans for her coffee? But then again, who knows? Maybe she'll like a latte made with real espresso even better.

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Do they actually use the same "dark espresso beans" that they sell?  Probably so, just older beans in the bags I would guess?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:32am

She really likes Charbucks that much? I would take a Mc Donalds latte anyday over Charbucks lol. 6+ month old stale beans, burnt to a char so no flavor is left except burnt cigarettes, then they use expensive superautos that still perform crappy and make even worse coffee (there was a time when they used LA Marzocco machines and were worlds better then the swil they make today). It's all the sugar, syrups, and Pectin etc (Pectin is what places use to give the oily thick feel in the mouth that many forget about when their trying to replicate at home), but they throw so much stuff in that what your left with doesn't even resemble coffee anymore lol.

There is no possible way she won't like Redbird and your drink, over Charbucks version, that'd be like putting a Yugo and a Lambo in front of someone and telling them to choose and they go for the Yugo lol. You can also buy pectin if it's the mouthfeel she likes. Just she how she likes it, how much milk, sugar etc (maybe even a sweetener like splenda, agave etc) and go from there.

But imo when I see people preferring Charbucks etc, over fresh coffee drinks, it's either A)they like all the sugar and syrups etc more, or B) they don't know about Pectin which gives the drinks that mouthfeel. My fiance was the same way, Charbucks addict to the core nothing better, till I started making her coffee and drinks with fresh roast.... she won't even step foot into their stores now unless its a last resort when traveling and theres no real coffee place around. She even just got back from a Chicago trip and brought back fresh roasted beans and even told me was asking the places for roast dates etc hahahaha

What machine/grinder are you looking at? And is it iced or hot drinks she likes?
bdixon

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 9:09am

Tell he how your really feel lol.  Interesting about the Pectin as I had not run across that before.  I have high confidence that over time she will become a convert just like yours, but I have to play the game for now :)

I ended up going with the Baratza Vario-W grinder and the Breville dual boiler machine.  I was tempted to stretch to the $2500 price point machines but thought I would get shutdown.  I suspect in a few years, I will justify the jump to the nicer dual boilers if I need to.

It's so much easier when you are single lol.
bdixon

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 9:13am

She does both...heated and iced.  About 5 or 6 a week on the hot drinks and maybe 2 iced.  Budget killer.  Mostly hot lattes and caps and if iced, she gets a iced latte.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 9:17am

bdixon Said:

Tell he how your really feel lol.  Interesting about the Pectin as I had not run across that before.  I have high confidence that over time she will become a convert just like yours, but I have to play the game for now :)

I ended up going with the Baratza Vario-W grinder and the Breville dual boiler machine.  I was tempted to stretch to the $2500 price point machines but thought I would get shutdown.  I suspect in a few years, I will justify the jump to the nicer dual boilers if I need to.

It's so much easier when you are single lol.

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Nothing wrong with that combo, exactly what my friend has except for the regular Vario, and since your newer once you get it down and dialed in (plenty of vids etc for steaming milk) that combo can make exceptional drinks.

Yeh she was the same, seriously the machine and grinder will pay for itself fast, as my girl drank a lot of starbucks at what like , $5 a pop for swil lol. I mean that's like almost $2k yearly at about 8 drinks a week. I make iced drinks every morning for us, 2oz double, over ice and then milk (16oz tumblers so pry 5oz or so milk) little splenda and little Davinci caramel syrup and so damn good lol.

If you buying redbird, don't know if your doing the 5lb order. If you are looking into freezing. I use ball canning jars (pint size) and weigh out beans into zip bags to place in them and freeze. When one is almost done, I take another out to defrost overnight (actually they defrost pretty quick and some grind frozen though I haven't tried that) and so on. Otherwise the beans will start going stale if just left in a cup board.
bdixon

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 9:25am

Good to know.  I've watched a ton of videos so now it's just a matter of playing around with technique and dialing things in.  Should be fun.

BTW do they mix the pectin with the milk first before they pour it over the double shot or do they mix the milk\espresso\pectin to get the mouth feel pretty consistent?  In my googling, I see pectin (or Xanthum Gum) referenced as a means to create separation in their frozen drinks which of course is all blended together before they put the dessert toppings in.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Starbucks like...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251415967941)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+