Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Higher and higher shipping costs of favorite beans....
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Higher and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 2:20pm
Subject: Higher and higher shipping costs of favorite beans....

I found one of my favorite blends of all (thus far)---Barrington Gold.  Very smooth, but yet robust & chocolately, caramelly.   Holds up wonderfully as a cappuccino.  Shipping has gone up $2 more now to $8.75.   This puts a crimp in how often I will be able to have that one shipped.  The shipping is more than 1/2 of what a pound costs.   They say this is the best deal they have found, yet FedEx has always been a pricier option when people ship to me that way.  USPS has its downfalls, but most of the beans I get (or shall I say all, except Barrington) ship USPS.  It is normally $5-6 for shipping (acceptable), and I still get it within 3-4 days.  That's fine with me because I never break open a bag of beans until it is at least 4-5 days from roast date.  Oh well......
 View Profile Link to this post
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 2:27pm
Subject: Re: Higher and higher shipping costs of favorite beans....

Buy five lb from redbird, shipping charge, nada.
Chanty

Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 3:16pm

Thanks, but freezing doesn't work in our very, very old fridge/freezer.  So, most I can order at one time is maybe (BIG maybe) 2 lbs.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 3:31pm

If you can, you can look into getting a small deep freeze chest for pretty cheap. Yeh older freezers won't work well, my fridge freezer works perfect I've gone two months out from freezing. But a friend has an older fridge/freezer and even after having a tech come out to check same beans I use do not seem to freeze well in his, pry something to do with temp stability and defrost cycles on older units.
coffeeshone

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 5:59am

I never really liked the freezing option.  I think if you can find a place that sells by the LB or will sell you a Kilo (2.2) for under $40 shipping included your better off. I find that that amount lasts me 10-12 days, so just when the coffee is fading I'm at the end or maybe have a shot or 2 worth left to flush the machine. Paying shipping for a lessor amount just doesn't make sense to me.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 2:09pm

I'm way out in California, but have you tried here?

The Stone Creek Coffee Factory
422 N. 5th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53203
Tel: 414-270-1008
Fax: 414-273-1251

I'm sure there might be local roaster around you like this place, they have like 9 stores in the area.
I pay about $7 for a half pound of coffee from a place close to me, if I miss my roasting for the week.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 3:26pm

Verve has free shipping and has NEVER disappointed me.

-Dave-
Chanty

Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 4:46pm

I do on and off get Stone Creek.  It's good, not the best--but in between waiting for my favorite mail order roasts, I use them.
Chanty

Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 4:48pm

Verve is very good also.  I really like their Sermon.  Very blueberrish.  Not my favorite, but one I will go to on and off.  My favorites are Barrington Gold and Caffe Fresco's Ambrosia.  I really enjoy Redline by Metropolis.  They have a sale right now that I took advantage of.
Buckley

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 2:39am

Dear Chanty,

First, let me commiserate with you.  Shipping has gotten ridiculous.  Buying drinkable amounts of freshly roasted artisan coffee across the country may become a indulgent luxury.

Suggesting second-best roasters (with respect to your preferences) based upon shipping costs is hardly a reassuring option.

Freezing is okay but does take the highest quality roasts down a small amount and, as you observed, refrigerator freezers may not perform up to standards.

Buying a chest freezer is an expensive option.  You still pay high shipping - albeit less frequently on a more efficient cost-per-weight basis.  The freezer costs only pennies per day to run - but it runs every day.

My solution was a coffee-lifestyle change.  I now buy green beans in bulk; no problem with storage.  I roast my own and I am learning a lot about varietal character and roast character.  I will even claim that my jaded palate is being trained to be more accepting of the immense variety of notes that are present in coffee.  The trade-off is that I no longer taste the unique results that highly trained and experienced roasters can pull out of a crop of SO beans that they have cupped and bought for that very purpose.  The consolation is that I can regularly appreciate the very fleeting and short-lived flavor notes that can only be tasted from freshly-roasted beans for the first or second day after degassing.  A hot air popper is not so expensive and works surprisingly well with careful attention.

"As we live our lives, we find that there are no true options - only accommodations."

Buckley
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Higher and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222244024277)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+