Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Looking for a few excellent espresso roasts to try.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 1:19pm
Subject: Re: Looking for a few excellent espresso roasts to try.

Coffeenoobie Said:

FromNYtoSF

Posted June 16, 2013 link

I wouldn't spend too much time responding to this user. It appears she came in, posted 10 responses to threads, and then posted her Silvia in the BS&T. Common tactic to get around the intent of the 10 post minimum for BS&T.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 2:01pm

Since I started this thread,  I hope I can continue it without issues?  I'm confused what you mean about a 10 post thread limit?????   Anywho,  got a question regarding the weather & the grind.  In Wisconsin, the weather has not been hot.  We have had a cool June, temps 50s-mostly 70s, occasional very low 80s.   What I've been noticing lately with some blends I've used and had no grind issues is this:  On my Vario, normally I would have the grind set around R-S (the lower quarter of the micro).  Consistent.   Now over the last month, even though it is the same age 4 days post roast, I am finding for it not to blond quickly--I have been putting the micro anywhere from  G-O (top quarter of grinder).   That's a big step.  I'm not a novice.  Anyone know why this could be happening?  I'm not doing anything differently.  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 2:02pm

They don't want strangers posting their gear to sell, so they want you to have posted 10 times before you list something to sell. That is what she must have done.

In the winter, I can reliably predict how much to move the grinder on redbird from one day to the next.  Not so this spring. My grind is changing a lot because we have had 4-5 hot very low humidity days followed by 3-4 cloudy/rainy very high humidity days. This is unusual weather for June in PNW.  Normally it is all very humid or all very dry for months rather than a few days. The amount of water in the beans changes the grind.  Beans being a porous natural product they absorb or release moisture depending on the humidity.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 3:57pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

FromNYtoSF,
you are in place where there are quite a lot good roasters in your state and probably more than a few in your city.  I encourage you to go to good coffee shops at off peak times and watch the baristas and sample their wares.   When you find one you like then take those beans home and try to duplicate it.

Too bad she can't, she just sold her sylvia. Maybe if she'd tried decent beans a long time ago......
Sorry- back to the topic at hand.
Chanty

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 9:36am

I have been making my own cappuccinos for over 10 years, but believe it or not have only finally started grinding my own beans (instead of buy preground---YUK) over the last 5 years.    Grinding question:  Our June weather here has been cooler and rainier, temps going from 50s to 70s; with a few 80s thrown in.  We haven't had a lot of humidity issues yet.    Yet my beans, (a couple blends in particular) are acting frustratingly inconsistent.   My frustrating is that I can understand changing the grind  finer as the beans age, but changing it from R-S  all the way up to D in a day---especially when the roast is only 5 days old???  I don't remember this happing last summer, and our summer was hideously hot and humid.  Arghhhhhh.  Yet I do have to say that my bad home espresso days is still much better than most coffee shops.   Do they train these baristas?  I ask for a dry cappuccino and get a huge cup of steamed milk that tastes like nothing but hot milk.  I then go on to say very little milk.  They still don't get it.  My husband said I should tell them exactly how much.  That would be about 5 oz.   I doubt they have measuring cups around to measure the milk.  Ninenty-nine percent of the time I just make it at home.  Sometimes I just like the social aspect of getting out to enjoy it, but most just don't know how to make them other than a wet cappa or so dry you could call it straight.  They don't "get" the in between.  Okay, sorry....I'm hitting a lot of topics on here, but the most important is the grind issue at hand.  Thanks!!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 2:28pm

You should get a gauge that shows the humidity in your house.  I expect it is changing more than you realize.  I often tell baristas I want a double shot in 4 oz of steamed milk if they don't understand what I want.

At places that sell stumptown they are trained well by the stumptown people and you can order a traditional cappuccino and get what you want.  Also at spella's you order a traditional but he is only in portland.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Buckley

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 3:08pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

FromNYtoSF,
you are in place where there are quite a lot good roasters in your state and probably more than a few in your city.  I encourage you to go to good coffee shops at off peak times and watch the baristas and sample their wares.   When you find one you like then take those beans home and try to duplicate it.

He very likely does not have a grinder.  We might have to start from scratch (or grind).

B
VetranoMan

Espresso: Vetrano; La Pavoni; Giotto
Grinder: Pasquini Moca
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 6:59pm

I have a local roaster (Mpls, MN) that has some of the best espresso I've tasted.   Here's the link: http://www.paradiseroasters.com/categories/Coffee/Espresso/

They ship it right away.
VetranoMan

Espresso: Vetrano; La Pavoni; Giotto
Grinder: Pasquini Moca
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 7:00pm

And I like the Classico the best, even though the Nuevo has a higher rating
Slowgrind

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 4:18am

Sweet Marias has a few good selections, I'm partial to the Espresso Monkey blend
showing page 9 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267928123474)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+