Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
What's a good place to buy in NYC or on Amazon?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > What's a good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 6:31pm
Subject: Re: What's a good place to buy in NYC or on Amazon?

NobbyR Said:

What exactly are you looking for?

Posted April 8, 2013 link

Local source of beans for my CC1+Vario setup. I like strong coffee.

CMIN Said:

http://www.fairmountaincoffee.com/ as I like 2lb options

http://cafedonpablo.com/store/subtle_earth_organic.htm

In general when I've ordered coffee it's almost always delivered in around 3 business days or so, which is right about the best time since it's had time to degass.

Thank you for those two! Don Pablo is in FL, might take a while to ship.

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

And this list doesn't work for you?

Thank you for the link!

shawndo Said:

in NYC, I typically go for stumptown for $14 (12oz)
Gimme is also $14 as well as the Dallis blends.   (roughly $1.16 per ounce)

What price are you going for and you wouldn't consider expensive?

I stood in line at Stumptown for 45 minutes and ordered a shot. It was awful. Bad luck? What variety would you suggest I try?

What sort did you have a good experience with at Gimmee and Dallis?

I don't mind paying within $16 per pound as long as the quality is there. I do realize that it would take some experimenting in any case, however it would be nice to identify a good option within 30 varieties than 100 varieties (especially at $16/lb)

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
 View Profile Link to this post
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 6:42pm

Intrepid510 Said:

Heard a few things about Kobrick's, http://www.kobricks.com/. Although a little misleading as their shop is Jersey City but they have NYC in their logo... But you might be able to find it around and at 12-14 dollars a pound is budget friendly.

Posted April 9, 2013 link

Will try! Thank you

shawndo Said:

I also heard about this one.  It's an Australian company that has a roastery in Brooklyn.  
They have an espresso blend for $12 for a 12oz bag
http://www.tobysestate.com/contact

Posted April 10, 2013 link

Several people suggested this one. Will definitely check it out this week.

eieio Said:

will try them over the next several days  ;)   stay tuned.

Posted April 18, 2013 link

how did it work out?

BrianNelson Said:

You might also visit one of the Joe's coffee shops there in town

Posted April 21, 2013 link

You know, Joe's did not work for me. Thank you though.

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 1:26pm

eieio Said:

i stumbled upon La Colombe (Lafayette near Prince Street) when they first opened around 8 years ago, and i love their coffee - rich, robust, not bitter.  they are around $11.50 per 12 oz bag.

i find Porto Rico Imports to be less costly but i am uncertain if i love their many options as much...but i just got some from them yesterday and will try them over the next several days  ;)   stay tuned.

Posted April 18, 2013 link

which La Colombe blend did you use?
coffeeshone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 6:59pm

I also live in Brooklyn and have tried them all, just about. The Coffee at Puerto Rico imports is all in the open air bins which = stale coffee.
I've never once had good luck making espresso with coffee sold in any kind of bulk bin or dispenser. I'd can't recommend buying from those sorts of places.

I think as far as value is concerned, buying locally at NYC prices doesn't really save you money over mail ordering because retail here is overpriced. I can get stumptown for $13 for a 12oz bag which is about as low as artisan coffee can be had in NYC. For stumptown, I much prefer the Holler mountain to the hairbender blend for espresso. All the other options that I like  Counter Culture, Intelligensia) are more expensive. Brooklyn Roasters has at times had coffees I've liked.

The 3 places I order from consistently are Redbird, Dodd, and CQ roasters. I try to buy 2lbs at a time. I can dial it in and get great espresso for me, the wife, and anyone that visits for 10-12 days. I find for my intake 12oz isn't really enough. I use a double basket and borderline overdose it to pull a 30-35 second 1-1.5oz ristretto - thats my style, really syrupy and thick. I find that the really light roasts are too bright for my taste.

To be fair I haven't had Dallis Bros except for a sample at Coffeefest, which I liked. To me Toby's is wayyyy too bright. Grumpy is also on the bright side and expensive (15-19 a bag.)

Also, so much of it has to do with personal taste and the skill/art of the barista. I didn't like Intelligentsia until I tried it and dialed it in the way I like at home. So if you don't like a certain coffee at a shop, it may be the barista's style.....

Anyhow, just my 2 cents...probably more than you wanted to know.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > What's a good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323318004608)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+