Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Looking for a few excellent espresso roasts to try.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
chiror0b

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: mypressi
Grinder: hario mini mill
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 3:59pm
Subject: Re: Looking for a few excellent espresso roasts to try.

I'm new, but my local roaster puts out some amazing beans and has me hooked. I am still shopping for a real machine so my equipment is limited to French press, drip, and a mypressi at the moment..

She has a decent variety, so far my favorites are the brass knuckle espresso, peaberry and Costa Rica.  

Y'all try it out and give me feedback if you want, I plan to sample beans from the big list to expand my palate as well, but I love mamamocha's cappuccino.

www.mamamocha.com.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 9:43am

Chanti I like these guys and I just discovered them. The Sermon is great...up there with the best of the best I've had and use...Klatch,Intelligentsia and my fav...Vivace ( hands down winner )

Click Here (www.vervecoffeeroasters.com)

Chanty Said:

I do 2 oz. of espresso with about 6-7 oz. of steamed milk.  Then I add some micro foam on top.

Posted March 20, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 10:36am

How did you like redline????

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:12am

Vivace was a bomb for me (and not in a good way).  That one I couldn't find the right grind & no matter what I did/adjusted--it came out like hot light colored water.  Ended up wasting the whole pound.  Yup.... the WHOLE pound.   Never did that before.  Was very disappointed.
Redline was very good, not the best I've had---but very good.  I will probably order again, not constantly, but again.  I really like Redbird,  & have ordered it numerous times--but not always consistent with the grind issue I can have.  Barrington Gold, (ordered 3 times) has been delicious and very equipment friendly.  Thing is, this last time the flavor seemed to be "off" (more sharp/bitter).  Normally when I open a bag of sealed "freshly" roasted beans, the aroma will waft out and give me a coffee "high".  This was the case with the Barrington Gold with 2 of the 3 bags.  The last bag had hardly any coffee aroma whatsoever.  I always open within days to less than a week(depending on roast date).   I mentioned it to them.  I'm sure it will be "just me".   I begin to think most people don't complain when they are not happy with a product....they just suck it up.  Sorry, not me--especially when I pay big bucks for beans with shipping.  I would like to try the Sermon, but geez I hate this 12 oz. thing....$15 is very pricey for 12 oz. PLUS shipping.  $20 + shipping for a pound will be the most I ever paid for a pound of great beans.  The most I paid for a pound + shipping is $17.50.
I do love Ambrosia by Caffe Fresco.  Just like to switch it around.
Chanty

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:14am

Redline was very good, not the best I've had---but very good.  I will probably order again, not constantly, but again.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:23am

I like finding more unknown roasters, and so far pry my fave would be Fair Mountain www.fairmountaincoffee.com , I've had their espresso blend, nicaraguan, bali blue krishna, and costa rican. All excellent. I also like how if you want you can have them roast something to your liking, i.e. medium espresso instead of dark. I'm not the biggest fan of bright coffee's, but the Bali Blue was one of the best I've had and works well in milk drinks (we drink a lot of iced coffee), not many bright coffee's can pull that off good. They entered their espresso blend into the Coffee Fest in NY a few weeks ago, not sure what the results were. They do 2lbs shipped for $27, perfect for us as we like ordering 2lbs at a time and being able to try different things, vs 5lbs of X coffee.
Chanty

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:58am

It looks like fair mountain only lists one as an espresso blend, and it is dark.  I have been getting away from the dark roasts & sticking to medium or a medium/dark cuz many of the dark end up tasting burnt to me, and the beans are oily which can gum up my expensive grinder.  I used to love the dark, but now find if the medium is robust enough to punch through my cappuccino with flavor; then I will go  with medium.  I bought a roast recently that they told me was their house espresso blend.  I said, "Is it a medium roast"?  She kept saying, "Medium-light".   I wasted that pound.  Tasted like hot water with a tiny bit of flavor.  Hate, hate, hate light roasts.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 9:42pm

Go to sweet marias and look at the coffee color chart.  Then you can have an idea of what the roasters call City, full city, full city + etc.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 11:23am

Chanty Said:

I would like to try the Sermon, but geez I hate this 12 oz. thing....$15 is very pricey for 12 oz. PLUS shipping.  $20 + shipping for a pound will be the most I ever paid for a pound of great beans.  The most I paid for a pound + shipping is $17.50.
I do love Ambrosia by Caffe Fresco.  Just like to switch it around.

Posted March 24, 2013 link

Verve has free shipping on their coffee unless you want express or something, even for just a 12 oz bag.

Less water, more grounds.
Chanty

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 8:57pm

If a blend was roasted on Wednesday, March 27th, would Saturday, March 30th be too early to open the bag & make my espresso with it?  Do you count the day it was roasted (March 27th) as the  1st day of roast cuz the 4th day is usually when they say the beans are ready for grinding.  Thanks.
showing page 7 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281754970551)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+