Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Black Pearl espresso from ChrisCoffee
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Black Pearl...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
rstevens
rstevens
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E
Drip: nope- French press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Sep 8, 2006, 7:03pm
Subject: Black Pearl espresso from ChrisCoffee

I recently received a pound of a new espresso blend from Chris Coffee, Black Pearl.  I am lucky to live only a few miles from his shop so I end up there on a regular basis picking up accessories etc.  A few weeks ago they mentioned they were getting into the roasting business and I was even shown the new roaster.  The folks at Chris Coffee are very friendly and they took the time to explain about the process and how they have enlisted the help from Mane Alves, a world renown coffee expert (http://www.coffeelab.com/level.itml/icOid/5) to get the roast and blend just right.  The set up Chris has in place for roasting coffee is impessive to say the least.  I am very new to espresso so I am not going to pretend to post a tasting review here but to my taste I really like the new blend.  The blend has tons of dark chocolate flavors with a hint of caramel and all the crema a person could ask for.  I enjoy this with cappas as well as straight espresso.  Looks to me like Chris pulled out all the stops on this one and at least for me ...no need to mail order from speciality roasters 1/2 way across the country anymore :).  I would be interested in what others think of this Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

-Rob
 View Profile Link to this post
AWholelattalatte
AWholelattalatte
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco 3 group linea...
Grinder: SJ mazzer
Posted Fri Sep 8, 2006, 7:48pm
Subject: Re: Black Pearl espresso from ChrisCoffee

I just purchased a pound, and will try it out tommorrow morning (before a 2hr car ride that starts at 5:00am).  I let you know what I think.

I am looking forward to it.

Adam
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Sep 8, 2006, 9:07pm

Hi Rob. Last week I tried a pound of the Black Pearl and found it quite good. (But not good enough to wean me off home roasting. :-)
________
John
rstevens
rstevens

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E
Drip: nope- French press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Sep 9, 2006, 4:39am

Home roasting eh?  I've been thinking I may try that sometime.  Do you find you are able to home roast an espresso blend as good as the pros?  I saw the machine Chris has ...full PID computer controlled with some sort of machine which can gauge the "shade" or color of the roast to insure a consistant result....quite amazing.  I looked at the iRoast 2 machine ond the Zach and Dani units which I thought would be fine for SO batches (for French press say) but how do you use these to get that "special espresso" blend?  I can't imagine you could roast the differnt beans at the same time can you...or must you roast them seperately and mix after?  Does sound very interesting though...

-Rob
leoz

Espresso: ECM Giotto P, Elektra MCAL
Grinder: macap m4 stepless
Vac Pot: Press Pot - Bodum
Drip: Cuisinart DBG600
Roaster: Hot Top
Posted Sat Sep 9, 2006, 5:51am

interesting,, looking forward to more reviews!

i tried his european blend, and it had a nice taste, but sat a bit funny afterwards.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Drip: misc
Posted Sat Sep 9, 2006, 1:52pm

rstevens Said:

Home roasting eh?  I've been thinking I may try that sometime.  Do you find you are able to home roast an espresso blend as good as the pros?  I saw the machine Chris has ...full PID computer controlled with some sort of machine which can gauge the "shade" or color of the roast to insure a consistant result....quite amazing.  I looked at the iRoast 2 machine ond the Zach and Dani units which I thought would be fine for SO batches (for French press say) but how do you use these to get that "special espresso" blend?  I can't imagine you could roast the differnt beans at the same time can you...or must you roast them seperately and mix after?  Does sound very interesting though...

-Rob

Posted September 9, 2006 link

Warning, OT post:

Home roasting as good as the pros? Please don't ask me to go there! :-) Suffice to say that home roasting is probably responsible for the biggest improvement in my personal coffee odyssey. I put it in the same category as baking bread. Sure, there might be a few truly exceptional bakeries with special ovens that make better bread than you can at home. But practically anything fresh out of the oven will taste wonderful, far better than standard supermarket bakery fare. So it is with home roasting. The freshness of the roast and the quality of the green beans guarantee better results than the vast majority of commercial products. Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed the Black Pearl. But I like my home roasts as much or more. I'd say that about all the commercial roasts that I've sampled.

If you're interested in home roasting, perhaps the best place to start is Sweet Maria's. There's a good page on blending basics here. Yes, you can roast different beans together. It's more convenient, but offers less control than roasting separately. I do both, depending on my mood and available time.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
kennye

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Synesso, GB-5, Faema E61...
Grinder: Mazzerzzz
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: n/a
Roaster: n/a
Posted Mon Sep 11, 2006, 1:27pm

I just sampled some of this blend about two weeks ago.  We keep a log of everything
that we sample so that the staff can compare notes.  Here is what I noted on Black Pearl:

"It seemed to do best after 4-5 days of de-gassing,  and it is still
behaving well at day eight.  It was pleasently complex,  with good body
(med/full) and mouthfeel. Experimented with extraction temperatures
between 201 and 203.5,  and found that the blend was fairly forgiving at all
temps in this range.  Lower temps seemed to emphasize some of the citrus
(orange/lemon) notes in the blend.  Higher temps (203.5) reduced the citrus
notes and introduced a more winey flavor to the cup.
 These flavors seemed to be balanced by hints of dry  cocoa in the finish.
Preferred the results at 203-203.5,  Initial impression was somewhat
bright with fruit and wine,  and the cocoa notes came on towards the end of
the cup.  The wine and cocoa lingered around on my palate for several
minutes.... nice finish.  The blend also did well with milk. The flavors
seemed to be a bit softer and sweeter with out getting lost. Very nice in a
macchiatto."

Look forward to tasting it again... Kudos Chris...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheArtfuldodger
TheArtfuldodger

Espresso: Saeco Classico W/ non...
Grinder: Macap-4,Zassenhaus Box
Vac Pot: Vintage, Cory, Bodum and...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hot Top-RK Drum
Posted Mon Sep 11, 2006, 8:02pm

I received a pound of the Black Pearl from Chris Coffee. It sat for about three days before my wife and I had time to give it a try. I prepared it as an Espresso, 6 oz Cap and 2 x4 Americano, we enjoyed each preparation. I found it to have a full body and a nice Carmel finish a touch of spice and a lingering chocolate aftertaste. The Crema was thick, chestnut in color and very persistent. I am a home roaster and drink mostly SO Espresso but I do have a blend that I do enjoy (just to lazy to roast and blend it).
I gave half of the Espresso to a friend (home roaster as well) who also found it to be better then the espresso we purchase from our local roaster.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Sep 11, 2006, 8:17pm

I also was fortunate enough to receive a pound for tasting, and Chris asked me to post an opinion about Black Pearl.

I found this blend to be quite "refined" and very tasty. I got the best results brewing at around 199F, using about 17.5 grams in a LaMarzocco double basket. I don't know what the roast date was, but the flavor peaked for me 4 or 5 days after I received it.

Black Pearl seemed rather "high-toned," rather than rich or earthy. This was refreshing, and probably pretty difficult to pull off.

Some of the flavors I tasted were almond, fruit, bitter chocolate and, believe it or not, artichoke! I don't remember tasting artichoke in coffee before, but there's always a first time. And I liked the taste!

Overall this espresso was very nice and I'd be pleased to order it from time to time. If I could wish for a minor tweak, I'd like a bit more sweetness. Of course, tastes vary. and others more skilled than I might have been able to extract more sweetness where I did not.

I think Chris is off to a great start with Black Pearl and it holds up very well compared to many of the well-known specialty blends.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Mon Sep 11, 2006, 9:17pm

andys Said:

Black Pearl seemed rather "high-toned," rather than rich or earthy. This was refreshing, and probably pretty difficult to pull off.

Some of the flavors I tasted were almond, fruit, bitter chocolate and, believe it or not, artichoke! I don't remember tasting artichoke in coffee before, but there's always a first time. And I liked the taste.

Posted September 11, 2006 link

Artichoke? I'll need to remember that; it sounds so much better than "vegetal."

You've been practicing, Andy, that's a good description; espresso sounds good too. Is the fruit citrus, pit, or berry?

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Black Pearl...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282543897629)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+