Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Redbird Espresso
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Redbird Espresso  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 46 of 55 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jwark
jwark
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041TQE
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 7:33am
Subject: Re: Redbird Espresso

bugbus Said:

If you're paying with paypal, it probably uses the shipping address from there.

Posted February 28, 2013 link

You are correct. He emailed me and said paypal sent it to him.

“It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.”  - Jack Handy
 View Profile Link to this post
JimOD
JimOD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma Non Pressurized
Grinder: Baratza Preciso with Esatto
Drip: Bunn NHBX-B
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 5:35pm

Impressive customer service:

Ordered Monday
Roasted Wednesday
Shipped Wednesday
Beans arrive in Orange, CA on Friday
Enjoyed first espresso Friday afternoon.

Free shipping on the 5lb bag, so the price per lb is a fantastic value.

I love the blend.  Very flavorful.  The little chocolates are a classy touch.  What a great company!

My tongue is burned
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 6:10pm

How many days post-roast is this best?  

I put my 5 pound bag into smaller jars the same day it arrived.  Should I have waited a few days before doing that?
JimOD
JimOD

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:08pm

tinytot2 Said:

How many days post-roast is this best?  

I put my 5 pound bag into smaller jars the same day it arrived.  Should I have waited a few days before doing that?

Posted March 1, 2013 link

I don't know, but here's what I did, and why I did it:

The only meaningful test on freezing beans I could find is this one by Ken Fox and Jim Schulman:  www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html

They reached these conclusions:

"Two months is safe: Freshly roasted coffee that is immediately frozen after roasting in a near airtight container in a very cold freezer, can be kept undisturbed in the freezer for at least 2 months and be expected to produce espressos that are not obviously inferior to those made from fresh coffee that has never been frozen.

Freezing does not accelerate staling after defrosting: At least over a period of time extending to about 8 days after roasting, using the roasting and freezing procedure used here, there was no evidence that previously frozen coffee deteriorates more quickly after defrosting than does coffee that has never been frozen."

So I did what they did:  I froze the beans as soon as possible after roasting (two days in this case).  I put them in Mason Jars.  I put them in a very cold freezer.

Time will tell.

My tongue is burned
Buckley

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 8:09pm

JimOD Said:

So I did what they did:  I froze the beans as soon as possible after roasting (two days in this case).  I put them in Mason Jars.  I put them in a very cold freezer.

Time will tell.

Perhaps that is only half the freezing story.  What Ken and Jim buried in the fifth paragraph of the conclusion section but what you could see in the first photo, and what was mentioned to me by Nicholas (HB of home-barista fame) was that this coffee storage was done in a chest freezer.  Quoting from the fifth paragraph of the conclusion:

The second is that not all freezers, especially freezer compartments of refrigerators, can maintain very cold temperatures. Self-defrosting freezers are especially problematic in that regard.

Very cold in a chest freezer is different than very cold in a refrigerator freezer and it is not just a matter of how cold it registers on your thermometer (if you bother to use one) when you open the door.  A refrigerator freezer has a heat coil in the floor that cycles on and off to prevent ice buildup between the freezer compartment and the refrigerator compartment; a chest freezer has no such coil or need for one.  The temperature of the refrigerator freezer cycles up and down daily because of this and it will not be possible to get the cryostability of the chest freezer or the ability to store coffee for two months without deterioration, as was noted in that study.

Buckley
JimOD
JimOD

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 8:26am

Buckley Said:

Perhaps that is only half the freezing story.  What Ken and Jim buried in the fifth paragraph of the conclusion section but what you could see in the first photo, and what was mentioned to me by Nicholas (HB of home-barista fame) was that this coffee storage was done in a chest freezer.  Quoting from the fifth paragraph of the conclusion:

The second is that not all freezers, especially freezer compartments of refrigerators, can maintain very cold temperatures. Self-defrosting freezers are especially problematic in that regard.

Very cold in a chest freezer is different than very cold in a refrigerator freezer and it is not just a matter of how cold it registers on your thermometer (if you bother to use one) when you open the door.  A refrigerator freezer has a heat coil in the floor that cycles on and off to prevent ice buildup between the freezer compartment and the refrigerator compartment; a chest freezer has no such coil or need for one.  The temperature of the refrigerator freezer cycles up and down daily because of this and it will not be possible to get the cryostability of the chest freezer or the ability to store coffee for two months without deterioration, as was noted in that study.

Buckley

I understood they used a chest freezer, and that the defrost cycle may change the outcome.  Jim and Ken pointed this out, and stated "the data in this study can be augmented by reports of readers who have used less rigorous approaches, and I solicit their findings in the comment thread following this article."

The comment thread following the article currently has 52 posts, stretching over about a 2 year period.  As far as I can tell, all the posters who freeze coffee beans have experienced the ability to store beans without detectable taste deterioration for at least two months, in either a chest freezer, or a refrigerator freezer.

I think the posters are probably correct.  I have taken temperature readings in my refrigerator freezer during different times, and have noted only about a 6 degree temperature deviation.  It seems like the heating of the coils, located ouside the freezer box, does not have much effect on the inside temperature of the freezer.   Maybe the defrost time is very short, and the insulation of the freezer box is very efficient.  Maybe I'm keeping the door closed during defrost periods.  My refrigerator is a side-by-side, which may make a difference.  I really don't know why, but over the last week, while I was waiting for my Redbird order, the temperature stayed between -1F and -7F during approximately 10 measurements.

However, I'm curious to read more information on the subject.  Could you tell me

1. What is your source for the statement - " ... it will not be possible to get the cryostability of the chest freezer or the ability to store coffee for two months without deterioration, as was noted in that study."  I understand it is not possible for the refrigerator freezer to be as stable as the chest freezer, but does this make it impossible to store coffee without detectable taste deterioration for two months?

2. What standard of cryostability is required?  Is a 6 degree deviation too much?

3. What is the normal temperature deviation in a modern, top-end refrigerator freezer?

Anyway, I'll have actual taste results in about 4-5 weeks, when I use the last jar of frozen beans from this batch.  I'll let you know how it comes out.

My tongue is burned
Dules

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 3:41pm

I must say I am quite impressed with Jeff's customer service. So I placed my 1st order for some redbird espresso, and for one reason or another the order never got shipped. Which sucks as I ended up running out of beans and have had to resort to less than ideal local roasted beans that are older than I like to use. I contacted Jeff via email; and, within two hours a new bag was shipped out via USPS for me, and I have checked and this order was picked up, and will hopefully arrive by tuesday. The fast response to my email, and fixing the situation by sending out a new bag of beans was really appreciated, and it made a horrible experience a little better.
Buckley

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 5:06am

Dear JimOD,

In order not to hijack this thread, I have started a thread http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/general/618712 where I attempt to address the questions that you, indeed all of us, have about refrigerator/freezer storage of beans.

Buckley
JimOD
JimOD

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 4:34pm

I posted this in Buckley's new thread, but I thought I would put it here also because so many people buy RedBird Espresso in 5 lb bags.  I think it may improve the freezing process when using a refrigerator/freezer, to place the container of beans inside a soft insulated lunch bag prior to putting them in the freezer.  I actually put the empty lunch bag in the freezer, fully open, for a couple of hours to cool it down, prior to putting my jars of beans into it.  The lunch bag doesn't take up much space, and changed the temperature readings significantly.  I have a side by side refrigerator/freezer.  Here is what I found:

I did some measurements of my freezer temperature today to determine cooling loss and recovery after the door is opened for a given amount of time.  I placed a digital thermometer at the front of a shelf, nearest the door, to try and get a reading in the area with maximum temperature fluctuation.  The thermometer probe was placed near a jar of coffee, so I am measuring the temperature of the air around the stored coffee.  The initial temperature was -6F.

After the door was open 30 sec the temperature rose to 2F, a rise of 8 degrees above initial temperature.
After the door was open 60 sec the temperature rose to 17F, a rise of 23 degrees above initial temperature.
After the door was open 90 sec the temperature rose to 40F, a rise of 46 degrees above initial temperature.

I closed the door after 90 sec to begin measuring recovery time.  I had determined from earlier observation of family members during the week that the freezer is rarely open longer than 30 seconds, and I have never observed it open for longer than 60 seconds during my week of observation.

After the door was closed for 1 min the temperature fell to 30F, a recovery of 10 degrees below the last observed temperature with the door open.
2 min   23F   recovery of 17 degrees
10 min  10F  recovery of 30 degrees
25 min   2F   recovery of 38 degrees, back to temperature loss when door was open 30 sec.
39 min   -3F  recovery of 43 degrees
53 min   -3F  recovery of 43 degrees, temperature is only ticking down by 10ths of degrees over several minutes at this time, and I stopped measurements.

I measured a significant increase in temperature, with slow recovery time.

I took a second set of measurements after placing two of the jars of coffee into a soft insulated lunch bag.  The two jars fit snugly.  The top had a zipper type closure.  I opened the zipper just enough to put the probe into the bag, again measuring the temperature of the air surrounding the jars of coffee.

The initial temperature in the bag was -1F.

After the door was open 30 sec the temperature stayed at -1F, no rise above initial temperature.
After the door was open 60 sec the temperature rose to 0F, a rise of 1 degree above initial temperature.
After the door was open 90 sec the temperature stayed at 0F, a rise of 1 degree above initial temperature.

I closed the door after 90 sec to begin measuring recovery time.

After the door was closed for 1 min the temperature rose to 1F, a rise of 2 degrees above initial temperature.  There appears to be a lag time within the insulated bag.
2 min   2F   rise of 3 degrees.  The lag time is still affecting the temperature.
6 min   3F   rise of 4 degrees.  The lag time is still affecting the temperature.
7 min   2F   recovery of one degree over the highest recorded temperatue in the insulated bag.  Recovery has begun at this time, and I stopped the measurements.

The total observed rise in temperatue of the air surrounding the uninsulated coffee jars was 46 degrees, compared to a total observed rise of the air surrounding the insulated jars of 4 degrees.

Concerning the issue of thermostat control, my freezer has a seperate control.  It is a dial from 1 to 8, with 8 being the coldest.  My dial has been set to 4 since I began measuring freezer temperatures about a week ago.  Today, I have begun moving the dial up one number, and will measure the temperature each 24 hours, to see how cold I can get the freezer.

Three things now come to mind that would allow a refrigerator/freezer to more closely simulate a chest freezer.

1.  When opening the freezer door, do so for the shortest amount of time.

2.  Put the coffee bean containers in an insulated environment within the freezer.

3.  Adjust the thermostat to the coldest setting.

My tongue is burned
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 2:28pm

Ordered on Friday 3-1-13 and received today Wed. 3-6-13 on the coast of NC. But the USPS let the package get wet. but the contents weren't harmed even the chocolates were ok

Gery Bastiani
showing page 46 of 55 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Redbird Espresso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310191869736)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+