Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Recent Espresso success
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Recent Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
coffeeshone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 1:20pm
Subject: Recent Espresso success

Hey Folks,
Just wanted to quickly share a couple of coffees I've had recently that I really like. Tried Dodd coffee's Columbian Narino for single origin espresso. Really awesome body and crema.
I'm into single origin espresso.
I also love Redbird Brazil Sweet Blue for single origin, or blend sweet blue with Ehtopian, 60/40 with a bit more of the Sweet Blue.

What have you folks been into lately? I'm always into trying new stuff and new roasters. My only pet peeve- no 12oz bags. I hate it. Sell it by the pound, please. Drives me nuts. If I'm going to go to the effort, I wanna order a couple pounds, ya know?

Anyone else stumbled on something exceptional lately?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 11:48am
Subject: Re: Recent Espresso success

Yes making the bags smaller is a way of raising the price on the sly.  I dislike it in all things.  And coffee is getting really bad about it.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 11:55am

I basically only order from places that offer 1lb bags now, too damn annoying trying to track and when to order with my fiance and I dealing with 12oz bags. Plus majority of those 12oz bags cost same/more then 1lb, with shipping, it usually avgs close and sometimes higher then $20 a bag for 12oz, crazy imo.

Heard about this company Fair Mountain www.fairmountaincoffee.com , got the espresso, nicaraguan, and peru roast, really good, the nicaraguan was awesome. order 2lbs or more and ships free, good prices for a pound. Yeh you can do a little better on pricing from other places when you do 5lbs+ but I can't store that much in my freezer lol.
Intrepid510

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 2:48pm

I really enjoy Black Torpedo from Aj's Coffee Company. http://www.ajcoffeeco.com/

Good deal too, 5lbs for $55 shipped.

Speaking of places i go to keep costs down, Metroplis Coffee. Redline can had for 25 for a two pound bag and shipping is free over 50 so that comes up to 12.50 a pound.

Less water, more grounds.
Buckley

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 3:59pm

I recently received Redline and I am having trouble 'dialing it in' to get something delicious.  My best coffee purchase of the year 2012 was Datera Reserve from Greenway Coffee out of Houston.  They are small batch roasters, so don't look for it now.  Probably in June, again.  They have that annoying practice of bagging sub-pound amounts and, even worse, they sell it in grams.  Their 350 gram bag translates to 12 ounces but they are even selling 300 gram (10 ounce) bags online.  Soon we will be buying 'nickle bags' on the corner from middlemen.
But rather than complain about it on this forum, let others get their blood pressure up - we know better.  We will just call Ecky at Greenway, or call our other favorite roasters and just ask them, quote me a pound.  OK?  Then send me a pound.  Or two.  Who will not do it?  I wanted a roast from an out of state company that does not have an online store.  They said online that you could call them for a commercial order, so I called them and ordered 5 pounds and acted like I was a business.
Roasters like to sell coffee.  Yes, its too bad that the price keeps going up.
Buckley
Intrepid510

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:55pm

I don't know about the increase in some prices, sure inflation happens. However, some of these places I see all their offerings are from Coffee Shrub, and they are still charging on the plus side of 15 for a 12 oz bag and I know your coffee was only 5 dollars a pound green. Seems a little much to be triple the price of the greens.

kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 8:49pm

one way to get around that,start roasting your own. you can aford to roast some amazing beans wich would normaly be out of your price range. I always have a small supply of Geisha or Jbm floating arround that I picked up for cheap considering the price of the roasted version. it's a good way to beat back the high price of this wonderful hobby. alot of roasters sell there varitals in green now at a fraction of the price per pound. Klatch is a good example and barefoot is now ofering greens apon request. I think metropolis even has greenline wich is a green version of redline for 7.50lb
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:16pm

Yeah have thought about roasting my own, but I really don't mind paying for coffee when it's priced what I consider fair. Just tired of see 20 dollar twelve ounce bags of 5 dollar per pound green coffee.

Buckley

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 9:03am

My opinion is ... if you start roasting your own you will have advantages and disadvantages.

The disadvantages will suggest why roasters have to triple (quadruple?) their cost of beans.  That is, even after getting the time - temperature roast profiles down pat, there will be batches that are not up to par for taste - for many reasons.   (The 'usual' crop of green beans changes in bean size or moisture content or a shipper decides to substitute a 'similar' variety, etc.)  We can 'bite the bean' and drink our lesser roasts if they are not too far off but if we are in business we can't possibly sell it and we are left with expensive compost.
The advantages are those fresh, fresh flavor notes that only last a day or two (after the roast is rested) and that, I'm sorry to say, do not seem to endure the process of freezing.  Economy is not an advantage.  After a small batch roaster buys a machine and pays for gas or current and throws out the occasional bad roast, I would say it is an even break.

B
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 10:20am

If I home roast, I can absolutely save ~75% of the price of roasted beans, and have more control over the process.  (assuming I don't have too many bad batches)

However, that is not to say that roasters are making a 75% profit margin.  As you say, they have to cover employees, insurance, facilities, machines, etc. etc.  When I home roast, all I have the capital expense of the roaster, so my "profit" margin is pretty close to 75% over buying roasted beans.

I don't see how you can say it is a wash between home roasting and buying roasted.  Unless I was throwing out a ton of beans, or unless the quality was really poor, I can't help buy come out ahead.

A HotTop is about $1000.  If I can save $15/lb, I can recover that cost in about a year  (assuming a lb a week).
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Recent Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224395036697)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+