Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
La Colombe Torrefaction beans
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > La Colombe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mthedude

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: La Spaziale Junior
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew
Roaster: n/a
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 8:30am
Subject: La Colombe Torrefaction beans

Ok, I'll admit it, I've been watching the show on the Travel Channel "Dangerous Grounds" where the guy from La Colombe Torrefaction goes to 3rd world countries and risks his life for coffee and I decided to try some of their beans. Here's my thoughts on what I've tried so far;

I ordered about 3 weeks ago and I got the following;
1 bag of Nizza - their espresso blend
1 bag of Single Origin Haiti Mare Blanche
1 bag of Lyon - their other espresso blend

I was a bit hesitant to order because the bags are 12 oz rather than a full pound, I emailed them to see if a roasted on date would be on the bag and they assured me the beans are roasted fresh, but no roasted on date, just a best by date and I wasn't really able to find many reviews of their beans, but I decided to go for it.

Their shipping method wasn't the fastest so I believe I waited about 5 to 7 days to get my order which was UPS ground from Philly, PA to IA.

I've only tried 2 out of the three bags so far and I'll say this, these beans are unlike anything I've ever had. You can really tell they are coffee geeks at heart as he attests on the show. The Nizza is probably my favorite as it's very light, but also sweet, nutty and a bit of a burnt sugary-caramelly taste to it. Very nice coffee that works well in milk. This morning I tried the Mare Blanche and I'll admit I was a bit pressed for time and my shot produced a bit too much volume in the cup compared to what I usually get, so I'm thinking my tasting notes aren't going to be 100% valid from this limited tasting, but it too was very light, but this one seems very very delicate...again I'm going to chalk this one up to incorrect grind, so I'll adjust tonight and report back my findings after I get it dialed in.

They don't print dose sizes and temp reco's on the bags either, so you're kind of flying blind, but for the Nizza what I've found is a cooler temp does well, call it 197 to 198 and my dose size is typically between 17 and 21 grams with 18 being that sweet spot for me.

I'm by no means a tasting or cupping expert but I really did enjoy the Nizza and I'm excited to get into the Lyon to see if it's as unique as the Nizza.

I'm going to email the company and suggest that they up their Geekiness to put roasted on dates on the bags as well as brew temps and dose reco's and perhaps suggest 1 lb bags.

All in all, I'll probably go back to 5lbs of Redbird for my next order but this was a very pleasant detour indeed.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 9:09am
Subject: Re: La Colombe Torrefaction beans

Thanks for posting. What were the "best by" dates? You could probably figure out the roast date using them or simply ask La Colombe what their freshness window typically is. Whenever I get beans without clearly marked roast dates, I email requesting more info. If for whatever reason the roaster isn't forthcoming with that info., I think less of them and don't feel bad in doing so.
mthedude

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 10:37am

the Best By Dates were in Jan so that either means their best by dates are a lot shorter than most coffee roasters or the order I received was very old. At this point I'd say it's the former as the beans smell and taste very fresh. I don't suspect they were roasted months ago, but I could be wrong.

I think I will email them and ask the date parameters of the Best By date.
mthedude

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 12:18pm

Emailed them and got a quick reply; I asked about the Best By date and Roasted Date here's what they said;

We actually do not provide a roasted on date as beans are roasted daily or the day before they are shipped, we give the beans a 8 weeks best buy date from the day they are roasted.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 12:34pm

Nice. Your taste buds were right. That's a tight "best by" window IMO--better than expected, at least.
mthedude

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 10:48am

I was surprised. I like the fact that they don't put a 9 month or 1 year date on the bags (looking at you Green Mermaid) and expect them to still taste fresh. I really wish there were some brewing parameters and dosing suggestions on the bag and I told them that as well.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 9:07am

mthedude Said:

"We actually do not provide a roasted on date as beans are roasted daily or the day before they are shipped, we give the beans a 8 weeks best buy date from the day they are roasted."

Posted December 5, 2012 link

While I agree that it's better to use a "Best Buy" date of +8 weeks rather than +9 or +12 months, I'd still rather see a "Roasted on" date . . . after all, OTHER roasters can . . . why can't they?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
MDiddy

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 5:56pm

]Just want to ring in here and say I can't agree more.  

I recently gone through 1 1/2 pounds of their Madagascar Single Origin and man, was this stuff fantastic!

Click Here (shop.lacolombe.com)

I live outside of the Philadelphia area so I can swing by the Rittenhouse location when need be and will be going back here for my coffee for a while.  If you haven't' tried this one yet, give it a whirl.  The chocolate notes on it are fantastic and really stand out.  The crema I was getting from it was outstanding as well, so I'm sure their stuff is fresh.

After going through this, I picked up a pound of week old roasted pure Kona from a local roaster here and have to say I'm disappointed in it.  I know Kona, with the volcanic activity, is going to be more acidic, but the taste of it after having the Madagascar is just really bad IMO.   Looking forwards to trying some of the the blends you mentioned as well as their other single origins.
zackz
zackz

Espresso: Saeco Via Veneto
Grinder: Capresso Infinity, Nemox Lux
Drip: Beehouse
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:50pm

Has anyone tried the PNG Blue Mountain featured on the last episode? I wonder if the market in Finisterre is as exclusive as Todd makes it out to be

_mano cornuto_
MDiddy

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:36am

zackz Said:

Has anyone tried the PNG Blue Mountain featured on the last episode? I wonder if the market in Finisterre is as exclusive as Todd makes it out to be

Posted January 18, 2013 link

Don't see that on their site anywhere.  I'll have to stop in and see if it's available.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > La Colombe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
100% Organic Guate Coffee
Temblor is a very smooth Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate.
www.thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256792068481)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+