Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Very expensive venture trying new espresso blends
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Very expensive...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
coffeeshone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 8:02am
Subject: Re: Very expensive venture trying new espresso blends

Wow, I guess my dosing must be wayyy more than Jman, but I've never gotten near 19 double shots out of a 12oz bag. I've gotten pretty good at dialing in the grind within a shot or two. I'd say I get about 10 shots from a 12oz bag. HWen I way using a triple filter, I way getting about 8 shots from a bag. If I have a few people over, we'll rip through most of a bag in one sitting. I wish more places offered a 1.5 pound or Kilo (2.2lb) option. Seems like for those of us with good home machines and a serious habit that'd be a more appropriate amount. I've gotten the 5lb bag before. I dont like freezing the beans, and I just frankly dont want to drink the same coffee for 3 weeks to get through it. 12 ounces sucks, it's too little to really dial it in and get a flow going, you know?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:24am

I agree 12oz seems too little to be of any real good.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:00pm

I agree 12 oz. is nothing.  I've talked to several roasters as of late, and got the same response, "12oz. is what most roasters use, that's just what we use".  Makes no sense....  Geez, roasters out there hearing this?  I think you know your very here and there people (that you forget) & the customers who keep reordering over the years.  Maybe they can't order constantly due to the cost of $15 and up for 1 lb. of beans plus shipping, but they still keep coming back.  Do them a favor and offer 1 1/2 lbs.  That would be great!!!!   For me I could get by with ordering  1 1/2 lb. 2x per month & not have to go out for coffee runs locally (and not be as happy).    I wonder how many roasters out there will read this & off this?  What would it hurt them?  The customer gets what they want & they obviously pay more for the additional 1/2 lb..
MatP

Grinder: Macap MXP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:10pm

Chanty Said:

I agree 12 oz. is nothing.  I've talked to several roasters as of late, and got the same response, "12oz. is what most roasters use, that's just what we use".  Makes no sense....  Geez, roasters out there hearing this?  I think you know your very here and there people (that you forget) & the customers who keep reordering over the years.  Maybe they can't order constantly due to the cost of $15 and up for 1 lb. of beans plus shipping, but they still keep coming back.  Do them a favor and offer 1 1/2 lbs.  That would be great!!!!   For me I could get by with ordering  1 1/2 lb. 2x per month & not have to go out for coffee runs locally (and not be as happy).    I wonder how many roasters out there will read this & off this?  What would it hurt them?  The customer gets what they want & they obviously pay more for the additional 1/2 lb..

Posted March 15, 2013 link

I may have missed something, but why don't you purchase 2 12oz bags? :-)

BTW, sweet maria offers 1 pound bags of roasted coffee at a decent price, if it is of any help. They also have a subscription to get 2# or roasted coffee every other week, but I am not sure it is specifically meant for espresso.

MatP
Chanty

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:24pm

12oz. is not really a good deal.  You pay almost as much for 12oz. as  you do for 16oz.  That's pretty much why.  No, unless I want to try a certain roaster, and they only sell the 12 oz. bags, I may try it.  I ALWAYS keep my eyes open for the 1 lb..  To me, 12 oz. is not optimum.  I used to buy 2- 1b. bags from one roaster.  Still do on and off--as he is one of my favorites.  Come to think of it, when I buy two pounds at a time from this roaster, the 2nd pound is always great despite not freezing it and despite not opening the bag for at least 10 days after receiving it.   I'm not going to go out & buy a small freezer so I can freeze my coffee beans.  Our fridge is really old (20+ years), but still working.  I just wasn't happy with the last episode of frozen beans.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 4:13pm

MatP Said:

I may have missed something, but why don't you purchase 2 12oz bags? :-)

BTW, sweet maria offers 1 pound bags of roasted coffee at a decent price, if it is of any help. They also have a subscription to get 2# or roasted coffee every other week, but I am not sure it is specifically meant for espresso.

MatP

Except almost all of those offering 12oz bags charge same or usually over what others offering 1lb bags do and generally have higher shipping. I've ordered from a lot of places. I pretty much only stick to the ones offering 1lb options, just way easier to track and for our use for the woman and I. Like I've ordering some various beans from Fair Mountain (their espresso is at competition right now) where they do 2lbs for $27 shipped (got bali blue and nicaragua right now)... whereas almost all places I used to order 12oz bags from charged $15-20 per bag plus shipping. I wouldn't mind if the beans were beyond good and easily stood out, their good don't get me wrong, but not worth the premium over other offerings, and I've noticed that most of the ones offering smaller packages seem to have higher shipping then 1lb orders I've done for whatever reason even from similar locations.

Sure I could save more doing 5lb =+ orders but don't feel like drinking that much coffee of the same type and no room in my freezer anyway.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 5:00pm

I think the 12oz bag is to obscure the per pound price.  The price looks good till you realize the amount is so small.  And I agree the more expensive places often have bad shipping deals and don't bother disclose the shipping costs before you order.

And Chanty, no one is suggesting you buy a chest freezer- I doubt you would come out a head on that cost per pound.  But a frost free freezer is not recommended for long term bean storage and if that is what you did then I suggest that is why you failed.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 5:07pm

I kept the beans in the freezer (as the roaster told me to) for about 1 1/2 weeks.  I'm sure that is not considered long term.  I don't even keep food in our freezer very long before using...
coffeeshone

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 4:26pm

True. There are a lot of roasters that I'd like to try, or those that I've tried and really like that only offer 12 oz bags.   I just won't buy from them. They charge 6 -8 dollars for shipping on top of that, which is pretty rough deal. You pay $15 or $16 for each bag + shipping and you're looking at nearly $40 when all is said an done for 1.5 pounds of coffee. I think if they offered a size in between, a lot of these roasters would have to offer a much better deal. Who orders one 12 oz bag and pays shipping? Not very economical...

I have a lot of retail options living in NYC where I can buy without shipping, but even still I much prefer to get a couple pounds and get to know a batch of coffee. Trying different dosing, shot volume, etc.. There are a lot of different variables that make for a different espresso shot if you can work with a blend for a little while. For me, 2lbs is perfect, takes about a week to 10 days to get through. Just when its fading, I'm on the end of it.
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 9:29am

Coffeenoobie Said:

I think the 12oz bag is to obscure the per pound price.

The reason many roasters use 12 oz. bags is because the US Postal Service, Fed EX, et al mandate that anything over 16 oz. ships as 2 pounds, i.e. they round up to the next pound. So 16 oz. of coffee + bag + shipping box + tape + label = a 2 pound shipping rate even though it is only a few ounces over 1 pound. It is you, the consumer, who ultimately pays for shipping.

At Len's Espresso Blends we ship 16 oz. bags knowing that our shipping cost is for 2 pounds. Also, we have found that we can fit 19 oz. of beans in our bags and still get a good seal and these 19 oz bags ship at the same cost as 16 oz. bags. Hence, we give our customers their choice of either 16 oz. or 19 oz. bags at the SAME shipping costs...but that cost is higher than if it were a 12 oz. bag.

Dana, PLEASE do not issue another strike as this is NOT a commercial post; the content is germane to the discussion at hand! If you find this too offensive, merely delete it and I will go back to lurking for another year.

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Very expensive...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282197952271)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+