Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Looking for a few excellent espresso roasts to try.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SteveFreides

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Syncrony
Drip: No Drip - French Press
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 2:57pm
Subject: Re: Looking for a few excellent espresso roasts to try.

Two recommendations for espresso roasts:

Six Bean Espresso from CoffeeBeanDirect.com - we use this here, one part of this to two parts Sumatra Mandheling, but it is an excellent espresso blend all by itself and many people really like it.  We now buy it green and roast it ourselves here.

Barrington Gold from BarringtonCoffee.com - it's pricey, IMHO, but, boy, is it delicious.  We discovered it when we were at Tanglewood, MA one summer - as we left town, we picked up an iced latte for the road, and were so impressed with the espresso in it, even in an iced latte, that we called the shop, tracked down the coffee and the roaster, and started mail-ordering it.  Ultimately, though, I find $17 per pound plus shipping more than I want to spend on coffee I drink every day so we haven't ordered it in a while.  You can't buy this green, only roasted.  The company was featured in the book, "American Artisanal," if things like that appeal to you - we found out about the coffee before we learned of the mention in the book.

-S-
 View Profile Link to this post
Chanty

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 8:33pm

S,
I ended up ordering the Barrington Gold espresso beans.  You are right.  Pretty pricey at $24 (1 lb. including shipping), but my Vario &Gaggia Classic were very happy with this blend/bean.  No dialing in the grind problems, and really enjoyed the flavor.  Lots of crema also.  Alas, at $24 a pound (yes, with shipping)--I won't be able to get it regularly.
kafegeek

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 5:25am

ECM Said:

I would highly recomend the Malibar Gold blend.  You can pick this up at wholelattelove or 1stline.  I currently roast this blend and it's beautiful!  

Rob

Posted January 14, 2013 link

I would recommend the Malibar Gold blend as well. ;)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:33pm

I get a little nervous buying beans at places like Whole Latte Love, stores (that are not the roaster's place).  My reasoning is you never know how long they have had the beans.  Normally a pound lasts me 1-1 1/2 weeks, and if beans are sitting around--even that long somewhere & by the time they ship it to me--stale, stale and more stale.
That's why I can't buy Barrington Gold or even some of the others I love--constantly because I would end up spending (with shipping) about $100 a month on beans.  Budget would choke like beans ground too fine!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 12:44pm

That is why I buy 5 lbs and freeze in small batches.  I do have a freezer that is bulk storage and it doesn't defrost itself.  Better for long term storage of any food stuff.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chanty

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 1:01pm

I never had luck with freezing beans.  That process always ruined the flavor, etc. of the beans.   I can   1.  Get a  part time job to feed my coffee "fix", 2.  Ask for gifts (for birthdays, holidays) that entail the gift giver to send me coffee from my fav roaster.   3.  Give up eating to feed my "fix".
Just kidding (a little bit)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 1:07pm

Chanty Said:

I never had luck with freezing beans.  That process always ruined the flavor, etc. of the beans.

Posted February 6, 2013 link

Then clearly you aren't doing it right . . . .

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Chanty

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 1:11pm

I froze it in the unopened bag (that you have to cut open to open) inside a freezer ziplock bag.  That's how a number of "geeks" told me to do it.  I think you are going to find advocates for freezing and those that are really against it.    Can you simplify how YOU do it?   I will read the lengthly stuff you attached when I have a little more time.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 1:18pm

Chanty Said:

I froze it in the unopened bag (that you have to cut open to open) inside a freezer ziplock bag.  That's how a number of "geeks" told me to do it.  I think you are going to find advocates for freezing and those that are really against it.    Can you simplify how YOU do it?   I will read the lengthly stuff you attached when I have a little more time.

Posted February 6, 2013 link

Doesn't work, tried that before (coffee bag in zip). I use ball canning jars (have to be canning as they seal) with a zip bag of beans in each, so each time I use one up can keep squeezing air out of the bag then put back into the jar. Only way freezing worked for me. Can tell a slight difference towards the end but waaaaaaay beyter then storing beans (even same way) in cabinets.
Chanty

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 1:29pm

Thanks for that info.  Right now I order 1 pound, 2 at the most.  I have air tight coffee canisters (one-metal, one-glass with a metal top.)  You can hear the swoosh sound of air going out when closing.  Never had a problem with these.  But will check yours out when/if I decide to order more than a couple pounds.
showing page 3 of 11 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270717144012)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+