Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Cheap Coffee Confessional!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Cheap Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:19am
Subject: Re: Cheap Coffee Confessional!

Oooooohhhhh...what's a coffee geek to do????

My father-in-law returned from Venezuela the other day...and brought me coffee beans (for the first time ever).  Now...5 years ago, I would have been elated and anxious to try them, as I was used to Peet's Italian Roast which I'd chop up in my Rocky and run through my Silvia.

So...the beans in question are in a cellophane bag and were picked up off the shelf in a grocery store (I think).  They seem to have a roast "date" of August 2012.  Supposedly, these are the espresso beans of choice down there.

Now that I know better and have better gear, I pretty much want to use them to clear residue from the machine after a detergent backflush or descaling, or to run through the grinder to clean out Grindz residue...but alas, I don't want to offend him...well, maybe I'll get lucky and the espresso won't make me want to expectorate.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:03am

You take out the beans and replace with good beans and tell him what a nice gift he got you after pulling him a nice shot.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 2:52pm

oooh, that's sneaky...I likes :)

Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 2:57pm

Until he comes back with a 20lb bag next time!

Less water, more grounds.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 3:28pm

Good point.  Maybe I'd be better off brewing it at off temperatures or overextracted and giving it to him to drink?  Although that could just as easily backfire, as he';ll pretty much eat or drink anything and like it.

Well, today he brought it up and suggested we try "just a little" to see how t is.  I suggested it might be best off used in the Moka pot.

...just gonna have to bite the bullet one of these days very soon...

I'll report back once the dust settles.

johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:22am

I was given a bag of "Sam's Choice" Espresso (whole bean) by a well-meaning relative.

For those of you who feel that Starbucks espresso is as good as it gets, "Sam's Choice" is almost as good and, I suppose, considerably less expensive.
MikeNH

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 6:43pm

I actually just got my Rocky in the mail that I got from my friend that just got me into espresso, and used it for the first time tonight with my Silvia... I ordered some black cat and it is currently on the way, but I couldn't wait to start pulling my first shots so I picked up a small bag of Starbucks 'espresso blend'...

After dialing in the grind and temperature surfing, I was pulling shots with extraction times around 27 seconds which I thought was decent, but the shots were very dark with only a thin layer of crema on top and tasted quite burned... Do you think that is due to operator error or do you think it's the Starbucks coffee and I'll have better luck with Black Cat?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 8:47pm

johnboddie Said:

For those of you who feel that Starbucks espresso is as good as it gets . . .

Posted November 29, 2012 link

One cannot help but wonder if anyone here feels that about *$

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 9:32pm

MikeNH Said:

After dialing in the grind and temperature surfing, I was pulling shots with extraction times around 27 seconds which I thought was decent, but the shots were very dark with only a thin layer of crema on top and tasted quite burned... Do you think that is due to operator error or do you think it's the Starbucks coffee and I'll have better luck with Black Cat?

Posted December 5, 2012 link

That nasty burnt taste is the primary reason most of the people here dislike *$$! For sure you'll like Black Cat better...although I have to say I'm personally not all that fond of it

mthedude

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: La Spaziale Junior
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew
Roaster: n/a
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 3:08pm

I'll admit, some days when I'm out of beans and didn't prepare by placing an order well in advance, I'll either run to the local Friedrich's Coffee which buys locally roasted beans...still not great, but not bad, or go to Grounds for Celebration which uses locally beans but they pull them out of larger bags and they're usually roasted within 4 days of when I buy.

I HAVE IN THE PAST...bought beans from Target, their store brand Archer Farms. I'll buy the lightest roast and pick the bag with the furthest out best by date and honestly, they have some decent beans, very drinkable shots (assuming you're making milk based drinks) and an overall "Not Bad" experience.

There are those that say that beans from Target won't even make espresso...but I've bought many a bag of 7 or 8 dollar 12 oz bags of mostly just OK beans while waiting for shipments of the real stuff....granted when I get the good beans in my grinder I have to loosen the grind setting quite a bit which would tell me the store bought beans are older.

I've bought beans from Whole Foods that were roasted the day I bought them and honestly, some of the more interesting Archer Farms Fair Trade beans produce better tasting shots.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Cheap Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266247987747)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+