Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Looking for a good Decaf Espresso?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
pizzaman383

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 4:53pm
Subject: Re: Looking for a good Decaf Espresso?

For darker roasts, I like Velton's Three Ravens and Klatch Decaf House Espresso.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 8:21pm

Some decafs do better as drip, some as espresso, a few, both, such as the "Greenline" (decaf Redline) from Metropolis.
My favorite decaf espresso is Donkey from Sweet Maria's. It's green, so you'd have to roast it.
My opinion is, buy a roaster such as a Behmor ($299, and they give you 4#'s of free green beans0 or a DIY Convection Oven/Stir crazy combo. ($125 including a few parts)
With either you can easily roast 14oz.
Drinking a # a week, at $7.50 a # for the green coffee including shipping, you'll pay for the roaster in no time, and have different choices at your fingertips.
Home roasting is not difficult nor time consuming, and you get to roast some regular for gifts.
I have over 400 roasts on my Behmor.
click here

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 6:06am

Dear JasonBL,

In what way do you prepare Luna Nuova?  How would you characterize its flavor?  When I opened the bag, they looked like little charcoal briquettes.  I currently own a pound but I can't get by the impression that they taste like charcoal briquettes, as well.

I have just the opposite problem with Redbird.  No matter how much dialing in I do for an infusion or for drip, there is just no flavor.  What do you do with it?

There is no problem for me in getting a good flavor profile from regular roasts, with some regular roasts being more complex in flavor than others.  But the flavor quality of decafs seems to be much more variable, so it is either the decaf technology or the selection of beans that a roaster decides to send to the decaffeinator.  

Buckley
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 6:17am

Dear Robert,

Thank you for the suggestions.  Home roasters have this advantage over roast-buyers.  This is one of the dichotomies on Coffeegeek: roaster or nonroaster.  Roasting has always tempted me as a zen activity for coffee.  I decided not to go that route.  In doing so, I realized that I sacrificed accomplishment, convenience and thrift for freedom from yet another learning curve and the ability to drink the widest selection of coffees available from the widest selection of roasting talent available.  Naturally, one attempts to select from the 'upper end', but with decaf coffees, this parameter is poorly defined.  You can see on this thread that several contributors swear by roasts that I consider to be a waste of beans.  Its enough to make one start to roast at home.

Buckley
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:13pm

Buckley, what do I do?  Who the **** knows?  I pour the coffee in the grinder; dial in the grind; pull shots.  I'm a bad coffee geek, in that I don't obsessively measure temperatures, weigh each and every shot, etc., etc., etc.  I try not to be OCD about it.  

The last time I got the decaf from Caffè Fresco was probably a year, to be honest, but I don't remember it being roasted as dark as you are describing -- and it never tasted like charcoal to me.  As for the Red Bird, I don't use it in any way other than for espresso, so I can't speak to other methods.  Again, grind, tamp, pull.  It's slightly darker than the Red Bird espresso, and isn't quite as chocolatey (the fabled "Snickers" that gets spoken of so much), but it's quite good, IMHO.  I blend it 50-50 with the regular espresso, and see very little flavor difference between this mix and the straight "regular" espresso beans, and when pulled on its own, I find it tasty if a shade less intense in flavor.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Buckley

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 2:33pm

Dear JasonBL,

Thanks!  It helps knowing what other CG are doing.

B
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:02am

Interesting reports here, especially on the Red Bird decaf.

In my house, we use Red Bird (decaf and non) for espresso exclusively as well, but we've actually found th decaf tastes even more "snickers"-like than the regular at times.  In fact, of late, I seem to have lost the snickers effect from the regular (non-decaf), which has been tasting more like ash.  I know it's not the beans because they smell awesome before I grind them (maybe I should smell them after I grind them too?).  My shot technique hasn't changed and the extraction looks great too.  I've done a good chemical backflush with thorough rinsing, without improvement.  I'm thinking the real problem is my grinder needs a deep cleaning. Yeah, the decaf has tasted better then the regular at times even when I wasn't having the problem above...and btw, I have one grinder dedicated for regular and another for decaf (both are Macap M4s, but the newer one (decaf only) is almost one year old and the older one (regular only) is about 4 years old.

Well, I've also always loved the Klatch House decaf and have some in transit "as we speak".

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 9:16am

Dear Emradguy,

The variability of reports concerning Red Bird are interesting.  Actually, everyone gives it fair marks except me.  And except for your recent report concerning the decrement in Red Bird regular (rbr) taste.  The quandry is this: given a significant variability in a roast's taste quality in a different number of home barista kitchens, the obvious source of variability is the barista, the grind, the machine, the water, etc.  One would suspect variability to lie in the variables and not in the (supposedly) stable roaster.  Yet, speaking especially for you and me, we all are not idiots; we are capable of successful and even superlative shots.  I am wondering if Red Bird has a QC problem.  If your 4 year old M4 was indeed wearing down, I do think you would notice it.  Period.  It is too gradual.  Maybe a difference could be tasted between the 1 year old and the 4 year old machine if you ground the regular in both and did an A-B test.  I do not know what Macaps are rated for, but my Compak suggests replacing the burrs after more then 3000 pounds of beans have gone through.  I am confident that I will not live long enough to do it.  Having 2 similar machines is interesting.  One could expose the burrs of both machines, grab a bean a rub it across both sets of blades to gauge any difference in 'grab' (forget using the back of a fingernail; this works just as well).
Still interested to know, anyone else disappointed by Red Bird decaf?

Buckley
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 5:05pm

good points Buckley!

I just pulled my first shot of Counter Culture Toscana today.  It just arrived this afternoon via USPS.  I ground it with my older Macap, and it was fantastic...hell, I haven't even dialed in the grind yet!

Macap says the burrs should last about 400# of beans and I'd guesstimate I'm at about halfway there on my old grinder.

off topic:
Have been wondering if you've been to Southside Espresso yet (over on Westheimer and Montrose next to the new sushi place)?  I happened to be in Greenway today (got to costco about 15 min before they opened so I took a side trip), and I heard Blacksmith's is supposed to open at the end of December.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 11:30am

I would give anything to be at Blacksmith's opening night.  I like and respect David and Ecky.  Unfortunately, life moved me to Indianapolis last July and I will be here until next July, when I am moving to Baltimore.  I have been following the posts by onocoffee (Jay); they are full of existential dread concerning the status of coffee in Baltimore but I am not concerned.  I can spro myself and the metropolitan area is dense enough that good espresso encounters will happen, even if not often.  I was going to buy a used LM Linea 3AV but this is probably not going to happen with a move to look forward to in 7 months.

There are two roasters in Indianapolis.  All I will say is that Intelligentsia is easy to buy locally.

I appreciated your note Re: Southside.  Again, wish I were part of the scene, but I do not miss the Bayou City's roads or drivers!

By the way, ate at Les Givral.  The Bahn Mi was twice as big as Nguyen Ngo and the bread was toasted, not wimpy like NN, and you get a lot more meat.  The Bahn Mi at LG would win any contest in Texas over NN because of the serving size, the bread and the pork was okay, too.  Having said that, my dining companion and myself prefer the NN bahn mi because the flavor of the BBQ pork is more complex and seasoned more along our tastes, we like the smaller size and the lower profile of the bread, but we realize this is pretty personal and we do not expect universal agreement.  The light inclusion of pickled vegetables was similar in both sandwiches and the vegetables themselves were also similar between the two places, being nicely crunchy and not too salty or sweet, but well balanced.  You and I each have our preferred place for Bahn Mi.

Happy cupping,

Buckley
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239703178406)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+