Espresso: Espresso Blends
Looking for a good Decaf Espresso?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 5:18am
Subject: Looking for a good Decaf Espresso?

So am I - I am on the hunt.
When the opportunity to compare a few roasts selected on the basis of appearing in these forums and by serendipity arises, they will be commented upon here.
A word on my technique: first, a roast is ground for a Hario drip pourover and, of course, the grind is 'dialed in' for several trials.  Then the roast is ground for espresso and sampled as an Americano.  These samplings give me a good enough idea of the flavor complexity and intensity of the roast.  My bias is that I much prefer the full-bodied, caramel, chocolate simplicity of a classic Brazilian dark roast but I have been tasting the varietal, fruity characteristics of lighter roasts to train my palate and appreciate not only the wide artistry of coffee roasting and preparation but also the preferences of other coffee drinkers.
First up: Decaf Mocha Java from Whats Brewing?, Austin, TX:  This is my favorite and the first roast that showed me that decaffeinated coffee can have taste and allure.  This selection was picked at random from Central Market when it became obvious that I needed to start drinknig decaf for any cup after my first or second of the day in order to maintain some air of civil behavior.  This roast does well as a pourover but can make a good Americano.  It is the dark (but not burnt) Brazilian style mentioned above.  Unfortunately, Whats Brewing? does not sell on the internet, so this selection will only be available to people living in, traveling to, or with friends in Austin, Houston, Dallas.  See their website for a list of their sellers.
Next: Decaf Farmhiouse Organic from Counter Culture.  This has a little more complexity and is lighter than the above, with less body.  Therefore, it tends to make a more flavorful Americano than drip.
Third: George Howell ghhselect decaf Costa Rica.  GH does not call his roastery "Terroir" for nothing.  This is a lighter espresso roast with the full varietal bright notes of the beans shining through.  It is too bright for me as a drip, without enough body, but it is likely that there will be many who enjoy it in this capacity.  It tastes best for me when it is ground a little finer and infused for a 30+ second pull to get a little more bitterness and body for an Americano.
Fourth: Red Bird decaf espresso.  This roast has zero taste.  Anybody who has recommended this is welcome to rebut on this posting.  Educate me.  This is an invitation, not a challenge.
Last: Caffe Fresco Luna Nuova “Full City Roast”.  This decaf has too much taste.  Unfortunately, it is mostly carbon.  It has been mentioned in these forum as being a good pull for a milk drink.  True.  That is the only way I can get it down.  With a LOT of milk.  And sugar.  If you love *$, you won't be disappointed.

More later.  Happy cupping.

Buckley

much too carbonized black but not oily.
 View Profile Link to this post
Jim_Coddington

Espresso: silvia
Grinder: rocky
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:49am
Subject: Re: Looking for a good Decaf Espresso?

Try Ecco decaf, I think it meets your preferences closely.
As does Blue Bottle's decaf noir.
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 7:03pm

There are some great decaf recommendations on this current thread over on H-B too.
Buckley

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 2:16am

Thanks Jim and Tony.  Will give your suggestions a serious looksee.
B
kafegeek

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 12:37pm

Decaf from Vivace is my recommendation. ;)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 12:45pm

Redbird decaf

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum,...
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 1:22pm

I like Metropolis Red Line decaf. Lately I've been roasting Sumatra decaf from Burman and I like it very much as espresso.  I also like Paradise decaf espresso.

Bean2friends
Buckley

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 1:51pm

Dear John (jwoodyu),

That is interesting that you suggest Redbird.  In what way are you preparing it? Do you drink regular coffee at times?  If so, how would you compare Redbird to regular coffee?  Have you tried any decaf roasts that you did not like and would not recommend?

Buckley
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 2:23pm

My Top 5 (alphabetical order):

Caffè Fresco Luna Nuova Decaf Espresso, $12.79/12-oz.
Metropolis Redline Decaf, $14.30/lb.
Red Bird Decaf Espresso, $12.40/lb.
Verve Vancouver Decaf, $15.50/12-oz.
Vivace Vita Decaf, $13.10/12-oz.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 3:22pm

Buckley Said:

Dear John (jwoodyu),

That is interesting that you suggest Redbird.  In what way are you preparing it? Do you drink regular coffee at times?  If so, how would you compare Redbird to regular coffee?  Have you tried any decaf roasts that you did not like and would not recommend?

Buckley

Posted November 22, 2012 link

I nearly always drink espresso but if I want brewed strength I drink long blacks. My friend who is a missionary brings me Costa Rican from time to time that I will press pot or use a dropper on but that is not often.  I have tried several decaf espresso blends that I did not care for but don't really want to "rat screw" anyone. When I was roasting my own for press or drip there was a Costa Rican natural decafe that liked really but that has been years. I use to get it from coffee bean coral before they sold out and moved state side.  I would recommend natural decaf and roasting your own for preparations other than espresso. If your doing decaf espresso Redbird or any of the ones Jason mentioned. I have not tried all on his list but your not going to get a bum steer there.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241411209106)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+