Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Deep Cello thoughts
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Deep Cello...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 2:12pm
Subject: Deep Cello thoughts

I got a pound of all three of Deep Cello's espresso blends. Bossa, Black tie, Nostrumo.  I was very excited to try Nostrumo. It was just too dark for my tastes.  All three are ok but I personally find them a bit dark. I like Bossa the best of the 3.  All of them taste more like my parent's coffee than the espresso blends I am used to.  I can't really describe it better than that.  The after taste is all old school coffee as well. I have been using redbird and blue jag.  Of the two I like the blue jag a bit more than red bird. If that gives you an idea of my tastes.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 5:59pm
Subject: Re: Deep Cello thoughts

I think I know what you mean, but IMO Justin @ Deep Cello has a great touch with his coffees and never takes a roast too far. That said, Ritual-light he ain't. ;) Last I checked my favorite of the three you mentioned was Black Tie, but this was for filter coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 8:36pm

I think they are fine but not to my taste. Just too dark for me. Not bad just not for me.

Coffeenoobie

TriHard
TriHard

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 7:44am

I tried their Speed Bump blend and it was very good!  It is a low caf blend, which I haven't seen to many of.  Anyone else tried it?
Intrepid510

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:59am

They are all rich coffees, with Bossa I believe being the lightest and only one specificaly designed as espresso although I do like Nost as a good dark espresso. To each their own, wish I could've traded you the bag of Primes from Ritual that I got, too light for my grinder.

Less water, more grounds.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 11:34am

Maybe that is why I liked bossa best.  I can't explain what I was missing, I wish I could articulate it.  Also, it could be my technique or machine.  I know there is a rising heat profile on really slow pulls with Oscar.  I am no longer trying for really slow pulls any more till I get my machine modded.  I believe I could taste that over heating at the end of really really slow pulls.

That will be a good thing to do when I get Oscar modded.  Try these beans again.

Coffeenoobie

TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 12:14pm

At first I had a tough time with the Bossa - it was coming out a little bright for me - and it behaved almost like some of my early experiences trying to dial in Stumptown Hairbender.  But since my results were SO far from Deep Cello's description, I came back to it almost as a personal challenge a couple months ago: sure enough, with the dose down a little more and a still-finer grind and the temperature up a little past 200F, the results were delicious.  This blend has obviously has a lot of flexibility, and can accommodate a wide range of taste.

The last few bags of Nostromo, though, have been outstanding.  I understand that Justin has been working some high-end Javas and maybe a few other substitutions into the blend and although the overall style and balance hasn't changed, I feel that Nostromo has picked up a little more finesse and a cleaner finish and maybe an even richer body.  I've been running right around 199F at about 30 seconds; with the winter weather finally moving into the Northwest (it HAD to happen eventually - *sigh*) the humidity's been more variable than over the amazing summer, varying the dose, but the 17.5g - 18.5g range still hits the sweet spot for me.

As Coffeenoobie points out though, this blend really IS built to be optimized with a dark ("Mahogany") roast.  While I also love the wonderful clarity and transparency with specifically identifiable fruit and berry notes - notes - notes in great SOs (Coava anyone?) we need to remember that "COFFEE" is an essential flavor all its own too.  "Coffee flavor" may cover a lot of ground, but we all have our own impressions of what that means in the cup, and for me, this is where Nostromo delivers.  Yes, it has plenty of complexity, interest, bells and whistles, but its core "coffee-ness" is the best I know.

This is a good lesson in why they make chocolate and vanilla.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:28pm

I am glad you said that Tony.  I believe you hit the nail on the head better than I did. I never drank coffee growing up and all this started because I was trying to break the charbucks habit for my husband.  And I have never liked the coffee taste, like coffee flavored candies, etc.  So, I guess I cut my teeth on 3rd wave espresso. I think Justin is wonderful and very nice.  I just was thinking I might like his Bad beard offerings more than the deep cello.

I have hairbender in my hopper now and Stumptown's Guatemala Finca El Injerto - Bourbon Varietal that I just finished the last of.  Of the two, I got much nicer pulls on the Finca El Injerto, than I am getting now on the hairbender.  A lot of this is probably me or my set up or a bit of both.  But I liked the Finca much better.  Less sharp edges for me.  I know that sounds crazy but that is the only way I can describe it.

I had really wanted to like the Nostromo have been looking forward to trying it for months.  Just didn't like it, sent it to work for my husband to use in his drip pot.  But he has not found a bean or even a pull that he thought was bad.  He thinks we should drink every thing I pull and toss nothing.  So, you see what I am up against, the true coffee drinker will drink anything and I am picky and don't like plain espresso....

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 12:29pm

Tony, one day I will make dinner and bring it to your house and you can pull me some Deep cello shots after dinner!  It could be all me.... or my set up.  That is one thing I really would love to do, is have some tasting with people that like plan espresso and talk about each shot.  I feel I could learn a lot.

Coffeenoobie

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Deep Cello...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.342129945755)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+