Espresso: Espresso Blends
Cheap Coffee Confessional!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Cheap Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 10:30pm
Subject: Cheap Coffee Confessional!

Sure, most of us use local artisan roasters or even roast our own. For those on this forum, $12 a pound is a downright steal...

But who here likes to slum it sometimes--likes to try weird off-labels, store brands, or whatever you get for the Holidays from family who know you "love coffee"? It's time to tell all and share your stories of desperation, dedication, or just downright morbid curiosity. Let's all spill the beans ;)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 6:15am
Subject: Re: Cheap Coffee Confessional!

Glad to say, I can't think of anything remotely similar to this.  My last purchase in desperation was from a local roaster, who happens to own the best local coffee bar in Houston...so it's not like I went and bought "whatever I could get" just to have something.  Now, I've drunk swill on occasion, but even that I usually complain about every sip until I can't stand it anymore and have to throw it out.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 8:56am

Not really anything odd, but there's a roaster south of me in Miami. $12-14 for 2lbs of roasted beans, yes 2lbs lol. They used to be smaller but now they roast for some restaurants and other places, even Costco etc. Their volume let's them offer cheaper prices. And the beans are top notch, their Espresso blend I really liked and was just as good if not better than "others" charging that same price for 12oz lol. I get it shipped to my house for about 20 bucks. Just got their Guatemala Antigua in.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 9:16am

^^^ Chris, which roaster? Just curious.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 6:39am

Markarian Said:

. . . who here likes to slum it sometimes--likes to try weird off-labels, store brands, or whatever you get for the Holidays from family who know you "love coffee"? It's time to tell all and share your stories of desperation, dedication, or just downright morbid curiosity. Let's all spill the beans ;)

Posted October 13, 2012 link

Sorry.  No beans to spill.  

1)  Friends and family generally know better than to get me coffee beans, and if clients or acquaintances do, it's usually Peet's or Starbucks (or worse, a Starbucks gift card).  The beans are given to our secretary, and the gift cars go to my 16-year old daughter . . .

2)  The only desperation comes when I order my beans too late, and I run out completely before my new shipment arrives.  When that happens, I go to a local café or Farmer's Market and pick up a 12- or 16-ounce bag of freshly roasted Ritual, Four Barrel, Sightglass, or Blue Bottle.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 1:24pm

I have a relative that works for starbucks.  I'll drink the coffee; I actually like a couple of their blonde roasts.

CMIN Said:

Not really anything odd, but there's a roaster south of me in Miami. $12-14 for 2lbs of roasted beans, yes 2lbs lol. They used to be smaller but now they roast for some restaurants and other places, even Costco etc. Their volume let's them offer cheaper prices. And the beans are top notch, their Espresso blend I really liked and was just as good if not better than "others" charging that same price for 12oz lol. I get it shipped to my house for about 20 bucks. Just got their Guatemala Antigua in.

Posted October 14, 2012 link

That is pretty cheap!  I'm assuming that's not Panther Coffee lol.  BTW, if you haven't tried panther, you should; they're in Miami as well.
Intrepid510

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:03am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Sorry.  No beans to spill.  

1)  Friends and family generally know better than to get me coffee beans, and if clients or acquaintances do, it's usually Peet's or Starbucks (or worse, a Starbucks gift card).  The beans are given to our secretary, and the gift cars go to my 16-year old daughter . . .

2)  The only desperation comes when I order my beans too late, and I run out completely before my new shipment arrives.  When that happens, I go to a local café or Farmer's Market and pick up a 12- or 16-ounce bag of freshly roasted Ritual, Four Barrel, Sightglass, or Blue Bottle.

Posted October 15, 2012 link

You ever try the coffee from the Cheese and Coffee store by Monterey Market? They also have a location over by 123 Cafe on San Pablo.

I've yet to try but been curious...

Less water, more grounds.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:48am

I have been known to use the prepackaged giant teabags of stale 10% 'Kona' coffee in the Mr Coffee in hotel rooms in Hilo when travelling for work.  But only in complete desperation when jetlagged at 6am before it's possible to get a coffee from Uncle Billy's general store (those who have stayed on the drive of hotels in Hilo will know of where I speak).  I have also purchased the cans of milky sugary coffee from street vending machines in Tokyo (and the warming plate stored cans of the same from the 7-11s there).

I currently have a bag of Wholefoods Rwandan coffee that I'm regretting buying - at $14 a pound it's not cheap, and it's fresh, but it's just not very good.  But my roaster is out of action and I wasn't going past Barismo on my way to work.
espressonewb1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Maximatic
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli Mdx, HG-1
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 4:27pm

I purchased some no name espresso roast from Chef central for $10/lb. It was pretty bad I couldn't even use it for drip.
Tomcody
Tomcody

Espresso: La San Marco Practical 95E
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Timer
Drip: Arçelik 3200 Turkish Coffee...
Roaster: Air Popcorn Popper
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 4:32am

I Buy from a Local Roaster, Cool Beans Coffee Roasters in Marietta Ga.  Their Espresso Davinci is Great.  Per pound price is 13.50, but bulk its $8.50.  Great deal. Comes out smoothe as silk, and has won awards.
The horror story, Bunn coffee maker at work.  I took over coffee mess, tried to clean this thing, its been turned on 24-7 for about 15 years, no filter.  took it apart found corroded coils, sediment, and a bunch of nasty stuff.  So I got a new one and plumbed it in to the filter.  But these guys would drink wood bark filtered thru an old gym sock (Maxwell House). 8$ for 2 lbs.  Thats all they want.

"Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love."
"A cup of coffee commits one to fourty years of friendship."
- Turkish proverbs
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Cheap Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.276314973831)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+