Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Redbird Espresso
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Redbird Espresso  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 41 of 55 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Onofrio

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: la Pavoni P/M, Isomac...
Grinder: Porlex
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:49am
Subject: Re: Redbird Espresso

What a great experience dealing with Jeff. I called him Saturday night, and the ensuing conversation that lasted close to half an hour was akin to tallking to a ole friend. At times the conversation digresssed into our second language of German, (fluent neither of us are )after he told me he was waiting for some company from Europe to arrive. We talked in general and I told him what I was currently using. ( CC La Forza). We discusssed the roasting process he uses and offered to generously roast a 5lb bag special a little darker to what he thought I might like. All the time, never a hint of rushing me off the phone or with any lack of genuine sincerity. Well, his coffe arrived in a classy green bag and just like Jeff it's the real deal. First pull was off a little to my taste. I tightened up on the grind ( I use an Isomac Venus ) and aimed for a little higher temp. ( closer to 200 )Results Great taste and Awesome Crema. I had to call him and thank him. I told I thought it was going "to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship ! "

Gene
 View Profile Link to this post
iroast

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 12:05pm

Onofrio Said:

What a great experience dealing with Jeff. I called him Saturday night, and the ensuing conversation that lasted close to half an hour was akin to tallking to a ole friend. At times the conversation digresssed into our second language of German, (fluent neither of us are )after he told me he was waiting for some company from Europe to arrive. We talked in general and I told him what I was currently using. ( CC La Forza). We discusssed the roasting process he uses and offered to generously roast a 5lb bag special a little darker to what he thought I might like. All the time, never a hint of rushing me off the phone or with any lack of genuine sincerity. Well, his coffe arrived in a classy green bag and just like Jeff it's the real deal. First pull was off a little to my taste. I tightened up on the grind ( I use an Isomac Venus ) and aimed for a little higher temp. ( closer to 200 )Results Great taste and Awesome Crema. I had to call him and thank him. I told I thought it was going "to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship ! "

Gene

Posted July 24, 2012 link

Nice story. Green plastic ziplock bag?

Could you describe the flavor profile of the coffee from your first pull? Second pull?

Thank you.
Onofrio

Espresso: la Pavoni P/M, Isomac...
Grinder: Porlex
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012, 3:49pm

The green bag was hermetically sealed. Ziplock would be nice but not neccessary. I wait for beans to degas, 5-7 days. I vacumm pack inside napkin lined mason jars. I then placed sealed jars inside brown paper lunch bags, wrapped with rubber bands. I then place inside freezer ziplock bags. Into the deep freezer. THe idea of the paper towels and the paper bags totally prevent Any frost from forming. - No moisture coming in contact with beans when the freezer is opened and closed. When I want one, I remove it the night before. The mason jar is still vacuum tight.
 The flavor profile is a little harder. I was smoking a Padron cigar at the time. What came through was a little sour, that covereded up the flavors. 18 grams @ 195-197 deggrees for 20 sec.  The second pull I went up to 18.5 @199-201 degrees for 25 sec. I dialed the grind a little finer for the 2nd. I have an Isomac Venus with a 18g VSt basket. The 2nd had more chocolate flavors on top witha smoother finish on the tongue.
Gene
klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 2:11pm

Shores805 Said:

Prefer the Blue Jag over the standard Red Bird. I find it creamier, more chocolatey than the standard Red Bird.

Posted July 21, 2012 link

I just had my first shot of Blue Jaguar today. Three days post-roast, which I know is pushing it, but it's the only coffee in the house. I was surprised at how different the taste is from standard Redbird. I got a 25 second, 30 g pull on my first attempt, without modifying the grinder settings. I will take that as a sign of brilliance on my part, and not random luck.

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 5:34pm

I tried the Blue Jaguar 3 days out as well. I liked it much better a week out.
tagliabue

Espresso: Izzo ..FAMA Venezia 1 gr....
Grinder: astoria mazzer SUPER JOLLY...
Roaster: one day :-)
Posted Sun Aug 5, 2012, 11:53am

same here .. I love the Blue Jaguar .... Any one know of him doing very big orders for stands ? .... Any one knows whats in this blend ? ...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
klund
klund

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 4:08am

slybarman Said:

I tried the Blue Jaguar 3 days out as well. I liked it much better a week out.

Posted August 2, 2012 link

+1!

Right away I was constantly getting a "high note", but now that I'm at a week out, I'm making the smoothest, least bitter espressos to ever come out of my machine. My wife gives the capps and lattes a thumbs up, as well.

I have a Vita and Dolce from Vivace that are waiting to be sampled next. But as of right now, the Blue Jaguar tops our list.

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
zazz

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 12:24pm

loving the redbird espresso blend.  i am a week into my first 1# bag and the shots have been great. I look forward to trying some of Jeff's other blends.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012, 2:04pm

So far I have not gotten a bad pull on red bird.  It must be really forgiving... as I suck.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JamesPN007

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012, 7:35pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

So far I have not gotten a bad pull on red bird.  It must be really forgiving... as I suck.

Posted August 9, 2012 link

I'm sure you don't suck as much as you think you do. Having said that, yes, Redbird is extremely forgiving - probably the most forgiving blend I've ever used.
showing page 41 of 55 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Redbird Espresso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29946398735)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+