Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Phil and Sebastian coffee subscription. Who's using it? Let's talk about it.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Phil and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 2:03pm
Subject: Phil and Sebastian coffee subscription. Who's using it? Let's talk about it.

I live in a rural community, Golden BC, with a so-so coffee roaster, Bean Bag. I'm interested in making good coffee, therefore I have explored various mail order options as many other members have and do. I have been blown away by Phil and Sebastian's coffee roasters and thankfully they have a subscription service. Every month they send me 4, 12 Ounce bags of coffee of two different origins. The last three months have been a Bolivian blend and a Kenyan SO. What I am hoping is that there are other people using this service and we can exchange parameters to get the most out of the coffees. I would love to hear about people's storage methods, brewing parameters and the results.

The bags usually get received on day 5 post roasting. I have been keeping the coffee in the bag and storing the bags in air tight plastic containers and placed in a deep freeze. Each bag last about 1.5 weeks at a rate of 2-3 espresso's per day. My consistency is quite good and I have very little waste. I go between straight espresso and cappuccinos and over the month this likely ends up being 50-50.

I have settled on the following parameters for both coffee's. 4 sec. pre-infusion at 60%, brewed at 201 and aiming for a 26-32 sec pour, to produce 26-28 grs of espresso. with the bolivian I am using 19-19.5 grs of grinds and with the Kenyan I am grinding finer and dosing at 17.5-18 grams. This is producing very good results and I am quite consistent, however, I think they could even be better. If anyone else is using this roaster I would love to discuss and compare notes on flavours being achieved.

mmmmmmm....... coffee.....
 View Profile Link to this post
adelemac

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: MyPressiTwist
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex; EsproPress;...
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 5:49pm
Subject: Re: Phil and Sebastian coffee subscription. Who's using it? Let's talk about it.

I am still quite new to the coffee world (have been lurking around Coffee Geek for the past 2 years) so can't add much, but am interested in learning.  For those that live in the Vancouver area and aren't on the subscription, you can buy Phil and Sebastian's coffee from Revolver, which is downtown on Cambie (and parking is not too bad on the weekday early afternoons).  Their supply is quite fresh too (roasted that week).
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 8:56pm
Subject: Re: Phil and Sebastian coffee subscription. Who's using it? Let's talk about it.

Referencing Revolver.... sweet! That quickly became my favourite Cafe in Vancouver. My favourite cafe in Montreal, Pikolo, also serves Phil and Sebastian Coffee. Are you using there coffe at home? if so, what is the result?
jwsnyder919

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012, 5:56pm

I picked up a bag of their Bolivian espresso from Revolver when I was in VAN for a conference in April.  The bag was very easy to dial in and pulled some delicious 'spro.  Not my favorite (at least on my machine -- it was much better at the cafe (duh)).  But, very good.  Held up nice in milk, with piccolo latte being pretty much the best mix (maybe cut the milk on your capp by 20% to make a nicer capp).  

Wish I was canadian so I could try more!
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 9:57am

Revolver does a great job. looking forward to being back in Van. I have had the Bolivian here at home and it has been great using 201 - finer grind seems to work better.

now recently they sent me a coffee from Costa Rica..... Freaking WOW! I am trying to get more info from them. I am assuming SO and I am curious to the process. very smooth with fruit flavours that are tempered by chocolates to smooth them out. again using 201 - 6 sec pre-infusion - 18.5 gram dose - 24 gr result in the cup in roughly a 30 sec pour.  so far this is one of the best coffees that I have made at home.

Interestingly, the second bag went straight to the freezer. I recieved them on day 7. the coffee is excellent but that chocolates have disapeared leaving more fruit. still smooth but a little more aggressive than the first bag. may be an effect of freezing? anyone else had this one yet?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Phil and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.198971986771)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+