Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Caffe Fresco Bello blend (for those looking for juicier shots)
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Caffe Fresco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jwsnyder919

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 9:51am
Subject: Caffe Fresco Bello blend (for those looking for juicier shots)

It's always nice to have a pleasant surprise.  Just finishing up my first bag from Caffe Fresco.  

Now, it's on the HB favorite roaster list, so I expect some quality.  But, I've learned to try and temper my expectations since all our palates and preferences are different.

Let me just get this out of the way: If an espresso is going to focus on chocolate or fruit, I prefer the fruit.  I prefer medium bodied manual-method coffees with citrus and berry notes, that, when they cool really brighten.  I like chocolate, but given the choice of the two, I'll take fruit 8 times out of 10 (everyone needs some chocolate shots in their life at some point).  

So, bello blend: first pulled 5 days post-roast.  Did not like it.  It was bright, but flat.  Was disappointed - maybe I didn't run my cooling flush right or messed up in some other regard.  Maybe it was just too soon, because...  The next day, , I pulled a shot and devoured it.  Pulled 2 more within the hour.  This was a bad idea for my productivity (I was so wired that I couldn't focus).  it's citrus forward and juicy and subsides with a hint of sweeter chocolate.  I found the finish on the longer side, in a good way, and the sweeter chocolate fades into bitter chocolate.  

I was pulling it thusly:
Ridgeless triple espresso parts HQ basket
23ish grams (I usually weigh in the 23.2-23.5 range with a 1 second purging on the B. Vario and don't weigh in basket).  
1-1.5oz out (I know I should weigh, but whatever)
21-25s

I didn't experiment much because I was pulling shots I really, really enjoyed.  It also makes quite a nice bright americano.  Maybe a bit too bright, but I was trying to accentuate the brightness in the 'spro.  

It's nice to find a roaster to add as a regular to my rotation.  I've tried many since beginning my journey early this year.  Most are good but don't wow me.  My favorite is Metropolis Redline pulled in the method described above.  While I don't like the Bello Blend quite as much, it's certainly up there on my list.  I have 12oz of the ambrosia espresso I put in the freezer when I got it that I just pulled out for use after it thaws.  Hoping it's of similar quality.

Oh, and his Peru Cusco - Lot 8498 is quite nice (fiancee has her daily drip).  I've had it as drip and aeropress and both were quite good.  If you had given it to me without me knowing what it was, I would have guessed east african.  We're describing it as a hybrid of Metropolis' Rwanda Musasa and Red Bird's Guatemala Antigua Hunapu Select in the best way possible.  If we had more, I'd try it as a SO 'spro as the Caffe Fresco site alleges can pull it off.

All in all...Very happy I tried Caffe Fresco on a whim as it'll now be a regular in my rotation.  The coffee was easy to dial in and pretty forgiving with cooling flushes of different lengths.  All plusses, for me.  

Oh, and at $5 shipping for three 12oz bags (or two 16oz bags), I find this to be quite a good buy.
 View Profile Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 5:27pm
Subject: Re: Caffe Fresco Bello blend (for those looking for juicier shots)

Ironically, I am now drinking a shot of Bello. I like this blend better than Ambrosia, and it is one of my favorite overall. Today is day 10, and it is excellent.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 8:48pm

With 19g at 199F, and a 1.75-2 oz, I was getting more winey characteristics. I was getting a light milk chocolate, but I was getting some mildly intense, winey acidity. I also really enjoyed it and consider it one to be added to the rotation (once I develop enough consistency to have one).

-Dave-
jwsnyder919

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat May 26, 2012, 8:03am

TheSunInsideYou Said:

With 19g at 199F, and a 1.75-2 oz, I was getting more winey characteristics. I was getting a light milk chocolate, but I was getting some mildly intense, winey acidity. I also really enjoyed it and consider it one to be added to the rotation (once I develop enough consistency to have one).

-Dave-

Posted May 25, 2012 link

Thanks for the tasting notes.  interesting how a heaping double (I assume, maybe a non-heaping triple?) profiles similarly to metropolis red line as well.  Next time I get bello I'll try it as a double -- I just couldn't dial in for a double when my triples were tasting so good.  12oz goes too fast to experiment (when will I learn this and start buying 2 pounds?  woe is me!).

Glad others are enjoying the bello.  Any others you folks have found that are similar?  I'll need to try a new roaster in a few weeks.

Cheers.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Caffe Fresco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207148075104)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+