Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Advice Please - Which Decafs to Blend for Espresso
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Advice Please -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 7:41pm
Subject: Advice Please - Which Decafs to Blend for Espresso

I have 3 lbs of each of the following from Roastmasters.com

Ethiopia Sidamo Organic Natural Mountain Water Decaf
Peru Mountain Water Decaf Fair Trade / Organic
Sumatra Mandheling Mountain Water Decaf
Colombia Supremo Mountain Water Decaf
Costa Rica Mountain Water Decaf

I also have 10oz of SMs Sumatapea and Mexican Pluma Decafs.

Any suggestions on combinations (or SOs) that would likely make good Espresso?
Any to avoid for Espresso?

PS: I know a Brazil would be good for this. I have some regular Brazil (Yellow Bourbon) but not decaf.
I may try some 50% cafs with it, but after dinner, it's strictly decaf for me.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat May 19, 2012, 11:26pm
Subject: Re: Advice Please - Which Decafs to Blend for Espresso

BarryR Said:

I have 3 lbs of each of the following from Roastmasters.com

Ethiopia Sidamo Organic Natural Mountain Water Decaf
Peru Mountain Water Decaf Fair Trade / Organic
Sumatra Mandheling Mountain Water Decaf
Colombia Supremo Mountain Water Decaf
Costa Rica Mountain Water Decaf

I also have 10oz of SMs Sumatapea and Mexican Pluma Decafs.

Any suggestions on combinations (or SOs) that would likely make good Espresso?
Any to avoid for Espresso?

PS: I know a Brazil would be good for this. I have some regular Brazil (Yellow Bourbon) but not decaf.
I may try some 50% cafs with it, but after dinner, it's strictly decaf for me.

Posted May 17, 2012 link

Barry, first off you may know espresso per 2oz poll has about 40-50% less caffeine than an 8oz cup of brewed coffee. It's the long brew process that allows more caffeine to extract.
That said, try the Sidama and Sumatra 50-50. Or, 80% decaf, 20% of the Brasilian. I assume it's DP/natural process Brasil?

Make sure to tighten your grinder a bit. Go for less volume...maybe 1.5oz...45ml

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 1:22pm
Subject: Re: Advice Please - Which Decafs to Blend for Espresso

IMAWriter Said:

Barry, first off you may know espresso per 2oz poll has about 40-50% less caffeine than an 8oz cup of brewed coffee. It's the long brew process that allows more caffeine to extract.
That said, try the Sidama and Sumatra 50-50. Or, 80% decaf, 20% of the Brasilian. I assume it's DP/natural process Brasil?

Make sure to tighten your grinder a bit. Go for less volume...maybe 1.5oz...45ml

Posted May 19, 2012 link

I knew espresso has less caffeine but didn't know it was that much less. That may help me on weekends during the day and late afternoon, but I'm still reluctant at night as I think I'm fairly sensitive to caffeine (I get jittery if I have, say, three cups of coffee) and I sometimes have mild insomnia even with evening coffee. I may be OK with 80% decaf though.
In the morning and lunchtime, I drink 100% regular coffee so it's not a problem then.

I did notice that I need a finer grind with Decaf (almost one full step on the Preciso seems to work).

My Brazil is not decaf (though I'll order some the next time I place a coffee order). So, the question is, with the decafs below, is there a good strategy (blends or SO) for 100% decaf for Espresso?

It does seem that my Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe-Shakiso SWP Decaf (from SM) is good as an SO. I suspect the Sumatapea may be also (just roasted it yesterday to about FC+, needs to rest). The Mexican wasn't too bad as an SO but too mild for me.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Advice Please -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213425159454)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+