Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Decaf Espresso bean question!!!!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Decaf Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 1:00pm
Subject: Decaf Espresso bean question!!!!

Hi, I am having some jittery heart issues lately, and I am going to either have to give up the caffeine temporarily (I hope!) or change over to decaf cappuccinos.   I've never tried decaf anything in my life cuz I've always thought it would be a big step down in FLAVOR.  I really never need the caffeine as I'm a highly wired person all on my own, but hate to trade off on flavor.    Can anyone tell me if decaf is a step down in flavor from caffeinated?  Thanks so much, and my heart thanks you too!
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 6:42pm
Subject: Re: Decaf Espresso bean question!!!!

Linda, by no means is it a big step down. These days, they're doing great things with decaf.
Sweet Marias has several blends and SO you can roast should you choose to.
However, there are MANY specialty coffee companies that sell decaf versions of their espresso blends, and decaf SO (single origins) that may fool you.

If you do a little 1/2 and 1/2 you will be hard pressed to tell much difference.
I recommend Guatemalan and Ethiopians for drip, and a nice decaf espresso like Metropolis Roasters "Greenline" espresso blen. I also think Red Bird coffee has a couple of decafs...

They can be really tasty when prepared in an Aerobie Press.
www.aerobie.com

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012, 7:19am

I think the Red Bird decaf is amazing.  In fact, I was first able to get the "snickers bar" effect others were describing with their regular beans with the decaf version.  I've since learned to get it with both.  I've also very much enjoyed some of the Klatch beans in decaf version.  I like their FTO decaf House Espresso.  Their non-FTO decaf is also great!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ccolton
ccolton

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Le 'lit PL53
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 6:34am

+1 - Red Bird decaf may be better than the regular!
Buckley

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 10:11am

Dear Emradguy,
Thank you for the suggestion.  Red Bird is now on my buy list for decaf.
B
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 11:42am

I'm new to espresso and roast my own beans so I don't have much to compare it to but I thought Veltons Three Ravens decaf was quite good.
naimnut

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Braun Aeromaster
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 11:38am

+1 on the Velton's.

I was going to say the same thing. Velton's 3 Ravens is astonishing and rivals (IMHO) any blend from any roaster. It's almost my favorite coffee.
Chanty

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 10:20pm

Hi,
Have you ever tried Redbird Decaf?  It is very good, but I'm always looking for better (if it can be found--until I can go back to my caffeinated)   If you have tried Redbird Decaf, how does it compare in flavor & robustness to the Velton's 3 Ravens.  
I'm a little down and out, as the Redbird decaf is very good, but nothing so far--decaf wise-- really has the total flavor like the caffeinated espresso beans I'm used to.
I know the reason is because whenever a bean is soaked in anything--even the Swiss water process--you are soaking some of the flavor out.  Plus because of that process, the beans do not stay fresh near as long.
I went through this jittery heart/very fast pulse one other time.  I quit the caffeinated beans for about a month.  Went back to it after the month, and I was fine--so hopefully this is a temporary affliction.  Arghhhhhh
jpmoney

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 6:38pm

ive tried Colombian Swiss Water Decaffeinated Espresso Roast Coffee Beans 1 Kg and i liked it. the only problem is i need that caffeine boost but for flavour its good.
SteveJames

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 8:10pm

Chanty and All,
I am now in the same boat needing to go to decaf until I heal (or forever?) - have you decided which decaf out there gets you closest to the full-caffeine flavor you enjoyed previously?  If so, did you find that increasing the dose helped (i.e. increasing from my normal 16.5g to say 18g or...)?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Decaf Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241477012634)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+