Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Buying good coffee in Montreal
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Buying good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 6:27am
Subject: Re: Buying good coffee in Montreal

My only complaint about places like Gamba and other 3rd wave shops is the price of the coffee.  I've paid up to 18$ for 12oz of coffee from out of town micro roasters.  If I order from Social I can pay 12-13$ shipped to my door.  I recently paid 4$ for 1/2 lb of coffee from Prima Goccia in Montreal- North on a whim.  For the price, it was very good.
 View Profile Link to this post
dzitt

Espresso: Avanti Capri
Grinder: Breville BCG450XL
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 6:49am

MARIOBARBA Said:

My only complaint about places like Gamba and other 3rd wave shops is the price of the coffee.  I've paid up to 18$ for 12oz of coffee from out of town micro roasters.  If I order from Social I can pay 12-13$ shipped to my door.  I recently paid 4$ for 1/2 lb of coffee from Prima Goccia in Montreal- North on a whim.  For the price, it was very good.

Posted April 17, 2012 link

Have you tried commonly liked blends like Red Bird, Redline and 49th Parallel  ? Cause if the coffee is really good, I don't mind paying few dollars more, but it have to be worth the extra money...

From Prima Goccia, which blend did you ordered ?

dzitt
dzitt

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:22am

Bought the Goccia d’Oro blend from Terra Café during lunch time. Will try it tonight :)

dzitt
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 1:47pm

dzitt Said:

Any suggestion ?

dzitt

Posted March 21, 2012 link

why don't you ask whoever sold you your espresso machine ???
ciao, Pietro
dzitt

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 5:52pm

cappuccinoboy Said:

why don't you ask whoever sold you your espresso machine ???
ciao, Pietro

I did and I tried one (Terra Cafe) today and will try more...

Is that bad to ask others too to have different views and suggestions ? What if I don't have the same taste as my seller ?

dzitt
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 2:02pm

dzitt Said:

I did and I tried one (Terra Cafe) today and will try more...

Is that bad to ask others too to have different views and suggestions ? What if I don't have the same taste as my seller ?

dzitt

it is perfectly normal, but the palate is yours and you are the sole person to decide what you like best...and although any professional seller will offer a range of different blends, my advice is to concentrate on one type coffee and really get the best out of it, every time..., when you gain this type of consistency you could responsibly explore the world of different blends, and again one at a time.
but that is my opinion, YMMV and you could always blame the blend instead of your poor Mano or lousy grinder, or you could even start doubting that you need to upgrade your machine (that is perfectly capable of giving you a very good shot..)
Good journey (to the espresso heaven..) ciao, Pietro
dzitt

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 6:38pm

Pietro, I do undertand your opinion and the way you express it and you are probably right ! What I needed after having bought a better machine than I had before, is to have something to rely on. I had poor quality to bad at home. I needed to have at least a base to work on (beans), then to learn the machine and the adjustments that would help me to reach a satisfying result.

Will continue to improve as time goes by...

dzitt
rmayrand

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 7:55pm

MARIOBARBA Said:

My only complaint about places like Gamba is the price of the coffee. 18$ for 12oz of coffee from out of town micro roasters.  If I order from Social I can pay 12-13$ shipped to my door.

I don't know when was the last time you order from Social, but their cheapest coffee is 13$ and the charge 7$/lb shipping + tax.....no saving there. When I want to spend less then 20$/lb from Gamba i buy from cafe st-henri ~ 13$ or from cafe union 10-12$.

I've read in another posting that you've tried some italian imported coffee. I would like to try some did you get it from cafe mali or a place like milano on st-laurence, any recommendation for someone into northern italian style coffee?

Thanks
dzitt

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 7:01am

The Goccia d’Oro blend bought from Terra Café is good. Have I have tried it with different grind size, longest and shorter shots to find witch way I prefer it. Will buy again...

dzitt
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 8:05am

People' Daily from Social is 12$ for 12oz.  They offer free shipping for orders over 25$ and you shouldn't pay tax on coffee in Quebec.  Generally I get two bags of coffee shipped for free which I receive on average 2-3 days post roast.  One goes into the chest freezer the other gets used.  St-Henri has their godshot listed at 15.50$/12 oz on their website before shipping, do they have lower prices in store?

As for the italian import stuff, I usually go to Mayrand in St-Leonard or the Inter Marché near my place in Laval.  Just get the bags with the farthest best before date.  1kg bags in my experience are better than 250g bags or cans.  The Italian companies seem to make better blends for bars/cafes than they do for home use.  The fact is most italians don't make real espresso at home, they go to the bar and use a moka pot at home.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Buying good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298874139786)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+