Espresso: Espresso Blends
Fresh Beans Degas!!??
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Fresh Beans...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Simspresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 11:05am
Subject: Re: Fresh Beans Degas!!??

Could stale beans cause that nasty gas smell and sour as hell taste???
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 11:07am

Simspresso Said:

Could stale beans cause that nasty gas smell and sour as hell taste???

Posted April 21, 2012 link

yes.  as far as i know, sourness is typical of stale beans.

about 15 days post roast is as long as is generally accepted before the beans go stale.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 12:08pm

I have been told roasters normally don't want you pulling shots at less than 3 days from roast date.  Some roasters recommend a week for their "sweet spot".  I wonder if your beans are not stale.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 12:15pm

even if they were roasted right before they were shipped, i would think that the transit time would give the beans enough rest time...unless they came the next day or something.

if it were the case that he was shipped super fresh roasted beans, i wonder why there would be strange number markings on the bag and no roast date.   sounds like possibly a large commercial operation, in which case, i'd have my doubts.

guess we'll just have to hear what the OP says.  Maybe the beans are ready to brew now?
Simspresso

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 7:43am

I dont when the beans were roasted since the marking on the bag is gibberish to me, not close call of looking like a date or something...

But...lets say they were roasted the day before they were shipped, it took about 3-4 days to get them shipped to my place from the date of ordering...

The main thing I think in this case is that the valve was shut closed not letting the beans breathe...
I also think that they use nitrogen to fill the bags to keep the beans fresher when they arrived to your house...Therefore explaining that weird gas smell...

I have disposed some beans in a vacumm bag, and did not open it yet or notice inflation from the bag...
I also put some beans in a ceramic air tight container and it seems the odor of the beans is getting better, I shook em up and it seemed like the gas bad smell showed up again...but still it smelled better.

I tasted those beans the very first day they arrived, and the next day and both times they were awful, crazy sour and all,
I will be testing them today and I`ll give it a try, and will let you know...

Im hoping the beans are on their way to their sweet spot and that the nitrogen taste and smell will dissipate(if its the nitros fault!?)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 8:45am

If they are fresh I am pretty sure they will puff up a new bag in a day or so as they release gas.  If they don't, I am going to guess they are stale.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 2:18pm

i dont know how any of us can figure out when these were roasted.  if they're old, they'll taste stale(likely sour).

nitrogen flushing shouldnt cause the noxious scent you're talking about.  illy and lavazza use nitrogen flushing and i dont remember hearing about any gaseous scents.  also they use nitrogen for potato chips.

i'd just pass it off as stale beans and possibly not use the roaster anymore if they dont tell you when the beans were roasted.
Simspresso

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 5:48pm

Sounds good Frank828...
They must be stale, I tried again today, and the taste is still pretty bad!
Like you said no roast date...
:(
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Fresh Beans...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225638151169)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+