Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
favorite espresso roasts.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > favorite...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
microb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma w/ Naked...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 8:13am
Subject: Re: favorite espresso roasts.

Our favourite is 50/50 of (using Behmor)

- Brazilian Cerrado (P4 post C1)
- Cuba Turquino (P4 just into C2)

We get the sweetness/fruity taste of the brazilian and the aggressiveness of the cuban. Together they make quite a contrast!

I've read that "real" espresso is usually a blen of 4-5 different roasts; but we tend to prefer single origin, or duet... Have to admit - we're still experimenting and I suppose we will be doing so all our life.

Cheers!

Michel
 View Profile Link to this post
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 5:59pm

I went back and place an order with Red Bird, but for the past few months I was ordering from CCC but when I was going to place an other order I noticed that their prices have gone up another dollar. They are up to 13.95 for 12 oz of Tuscano, don't know how Red Bird has been able to keep their prices lower then anyone else. Even Deep Cello have gone up on their coffees. Sad thing also is that I don't have any roaster close enough to me that I know of CCC is the closest and they are 3 hrs away. They just opened up a Whole Food store in Wilmington, NC but haven't been in to check out what they carry

Gery Bastiani
naimnut

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Braun Aeromaster
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 1:20pm

I've only recently read comments from Caffe d'Arte's founder Mauro Cipolla that he recommends a preparation temperature for their coffee from 192 to 197 degrees. I'm thinking this will have a significant impact on any conclusions I have drawn regarding their coffee.

I already like their coffee. Let's see how this affects the nuances in the cup.

Mark
KKBurke

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 2:57pm

I prefer Jeff Pentel's Redbird Espresso.  The blend is very forgiving of temperature changes (198-204F), and Jeff is very attentive to the roasting process.  The quality is consistent, and Jeff's products are RFA.  I am currently brewing 14.3 grams for about a 22 second pour (from time of first drip) at 199-201F.  I also like Redbird's Jaguar Espresso blend for a change of taste...again, very consistent in quality.  As secondary choices, I prefer the Metropolis Redline and Intelligentsia Black Cat blends.  The Klatch Worlds Best Espresso is also pretty tasty, but not a blend I can drink all the time.  Redbird Espresso, on the other hand, is suitable for every morning.  Redbird ships the same day as roasting.  I generally do not drink espresso more than 15 days from roasting...the nuanced flavors are gone by then.
rsinger
rsinger
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: OE Pharos - #136!!  ;)
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 5:00pm

Lately, I've been brewing beans from Panther Coffee (that I just found out is only about 2 minutes from where I work), and I've been amazed at the quality of coffee that they produce, which translates into a lot of fun once I get it home to brew with the Strega.  

Joel Pollock, the owner, is incredibly helpful and for me it's been great to meet him and spend a bit of time taking.

If you haven't tried their coffees I really like what they have (their espresso blend, S.O. Brazil Peaberry, S.O. Brazil, and S.0. Colombian are exceptional)!  Here's a pic of the 1920's era roaster he has inside his shop (vented to the outside, but very cool!) Most of the time I've been there, Joel is busy roasting, but has always made time to talk!  I'd have to say, that these are my current favorites, following behind are Black Cat, Dark Matter (Chicago), and Red Bird.

rsinger: Screen shot 2012-06-06 at 8.55.42 PM.png

New Bezzera Strega
OE Pharos: #136!!
Silvia's a virgin.....  again! (and sold)
Brasilia Cappuccino Del-1 Hx (sold too)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66189160@N04/sets/72157628015297112/show/
http://espressoproject.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 2:19pm

USPS was really on the ball, ordered two pounds of Red Bird on Monday, was roasted and shipped on Tuesday and got it today. Ground enough for two doubles, 15 grams each at 200 degrees getting plenty of crema chocolate, caramel after taste. Waiting to see what it will taste like in a few more days.

Gery Bastiani
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 7:42am

Gary, how did you like your redbird?  I am getting mine today.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 6:12pm

I like Red Bird alot, just wish they were closer. It usually takes 3 to 4 days to reach me here in NC. A few weeks ago I got a VST 18g basket and some Dolce Tazza coffee from Chris Coffee. It's a dark roast and oily, it's got some good after tastes but I'm waiting to get my next order of Red Bird which I ordered on Monday to try in my new basket

Gery Bastiani
Shores805
Shores805
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 5:44pm

Nice lists. Red Bird definitely at the top imo. Refreshing to see some Fav lists void of Vivace and Intelligentsia. Cant help but roll my eyes when I hear people claim these two. What is this Amateur hour?
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Posted Sat Jul 21, 2012, 6:28pm

Hey Shore805, some others you may what to try, is Tuscano or Rustico from CCC, Black Tie from Deep Cello, Blue Jaguar from Red Bird.

Gery Bastiani
showing page 8 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > favorite...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.246910095215)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+