Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
When buying coffee for espresso, does the coffee have to say "espresso blend?"
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > When buying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 7:19pm
Subject: When buying coffee for espresso, does the coffee have to say "espresso blend?"

gotcha!  I wish that too :)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
ccolton
ccolton
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Le 'lit PL53
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 6:27am
Subject: When buying coffee for espresso, does the coffee have to say "espresso blend?"

Hi all,

Thanks for all the information!  I am heading up to see Jim and company at 1st line to pick up 3 pounds of his medium roast and 3 pounds of his mid morning roast - both big favorites here.  I just wish he had a decaf!

I am also planning to order 5 pounds from Redbird - I think decaf - but was wondering if anyone had ordered 5 lbs but had the decaf and regular split out in bags; e.g., 2 lbs regular and 3 lbs decaf?  I expect that this would mean paying the full price plus shipping but was curious if anyone had asked.

Thanks,

Chris
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 7:47am

Chris,

I regularly order both the Red Bird Espresso and the Decaf Espresso from Jeff, but I do order them separately, as one-pound bags.  My usual order from Jeff is a total of five or six 1-pound bags, 2 each of the reg. and decaf espresso, and a pound or two of an S.O. coffee.  When you order in one-pound bags, your order does NOT include shipping.  Shipping via USPS Priority mail is $10 for 5-6 pounds, so figure it's an extra $2/lb.  If I had a deep (chest) freezer, I'd be ordering a five-pound bag of each, but I don't have the capacity to store 10 pounds at time . . .

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
ccolton
ccolton

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 7:54am

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the quick reply!  I figured as much but wanted to be sure.

And what you describe as your order preference is probably worth the extra $2/lb.  Time permitting, I am going to order today and will let you know what I decide.  

Have a great day.

Chris
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 8:13am

Red Bird Espresso is $11.99/lb. in one-pound bags, so I'm paying $13.99/lb. delivered.  For me, a) that is still much lower than many other roasters*, and b) the quality of Red Bird still outshines (to my taste) many other, more expensive roasters out there.

Cheers,
Jason

* Just as a reference, here are five popular coffees often discussed for espresso:
  • Intelligentsia's Black Cat Classic Espresso is $15 for 12 ounces, or $19/lb., plus shipping;
  • Espresso Vivace's Dolce is $16.50/lb., plus shipping;
  • Counter Culture's Espresso Rustico is $12.55 for 12 ounces (no 1-pound bags available), plus shipping;
  • Klatch's Belle Espresso is $12.95 for 12 ounces, plus shipping; and,
  • Ritual Roasters' Sweet Tooth is $21.25/lb., plus shipping.

ccolton
ccolton

Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 10:33am

Hi Jason,

As usual, a very thoughtful and helpful response - Thank you.

I have tried CC's decaf Rustico and love it and Black Cat, which is in the freezer bought at a local store within 10 days of roast, which was okay but that could all be me.  I have not tried the others.  Of course, I have had Red Bird, thanks to you and drGary!  Good analysis on the coffees and I agree, for the money, Red Bird is a great buy.  Let's not tell him that he can sell it at a higher price and compete with the others!

I would be curious about you take on 1st line's coffees.  Have you ever tried either.  Granted, I am still new at this, but I really like both.

Chris
ccolton
ccolton

Posted Wed Mar 7, 2012, 9:27am

Hi  Jason,

I just ordered Redbird coffee.  Jeff sent me an email and said he would include a 1 lb. bag  of Red Bird espresso with my 5 lb. bag  of decaf espresso and reverse shipping charges:  what a great deal!

Great coffee with incredible service - how can you beat that?

Chris
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 8:31am

ccolton Said:

I would be curious about you take on 1st line's coffees . . .

Posted March 6, 2012 link

Chris, are you referring to the coffees labeled "1st-Cup"?

I knew 1st-Line sold a number of different brands of coffee (Miscela d'Oro, Lavazza, Illy, Bristot Caffe, etc.) from Italy.  I didn't know they roasted their own in-house*; I just assumed that someone else was roasting "1st-Cup" for them, and that it is was simply a "private label".  (I can't find any descriptions of "1st-Cup" on their website.)

In general, I prefer fresh-roasted coffee -- roasted to order, and with the bags labeled with the date of roast -- such as those from "the list."  I try to only use roasters which ship via USPS Priority Mail, and typically place my order Friday through Sunday.  That way, the coffee will be roasted on Monday or Tuesday and I'll get it no later than Thursday or Friday (meaning 2-3 days post-roast).  I've had too many bad experiences with ordering from roasters that use UPS/FedEx Ground, and from coast-to-coast (since I'm in California), it can take as long as a week to get to me.  Indeed, one order took 10 days.  If it's not shipped Priority Mail, I won't buy it.

Cheers,
Jason

* I know that Chris' Coffee Service roasts their own coffee as well as carrying several Italian brands (see here), but I never knew 1st-Line did.

ccolton
ccolton

Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 9:50am

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I was refering to 1st cup at 1st line.  Jim offers two in-house fresh-roasted coffees - like all of the other roasters from whom I have purchased coffee, he roasts in small batches and sends out quickly.  I have tried them both and really like them.  Guests at our house have also liked his coffee.  And the price is good!

If you have the chance, you may want to try it.

Chris
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Mar 8, 2012, 10:46am
Subject: Re: does the coffee have to say "espresso blend?"

Hi Jason,

We do roast two blends right now. 1st-Cup Medium (more for drip and straight espresso) and 1st-Cup Mid-Morning (more for cappas and lattes). At this time, we only ship UPS, and this may change in the future.

I know there are folks who like to have their beans within 2-3 days of roast, but if you are making espresso, I have seen it better to allow the beans to degas for 5-7 days for a superior flavor profile. However, this all comes down to the flavor profile that one likes.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > When buying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309190988541)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+