Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Deep Cello Nostromo
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Deep Cello...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011, 4:33pm
Subject: Deep Cello Nostromo

I am working with Deep Cello's Nostromo right now playing with temps - 202 F for now since it is a darker blend - what a cocoa/bakers chocolate finish on this coffee! As it cools I get sweeter milk chocolate initially - I wonder if I can get this milk chocolate all the way through the shot if I drop temps?  

I am new to the PID thing so any advice on which way to go would be a help!

Also - 9/15 roast date - is it too early to expect the best from these beans?

http://deepcello.com/

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
ginalola

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II; Pasquini...
Grinder: (2) Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011, 4:56pm
Subject: Re: Deep Cello Nostromo

I've never tried Deep Cello Nostromo, but it sounds delicious.  I'd like to learn more about this blend, too.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011, 5:56pm

I found out about them through ROASTe - thanks to ROASTe's recent facebook contest I received a sampler from Deep Cello.  Their Black Tie just picked up honors at the  "Best Oregon Coffee" festival so that one is next in the line up.  

Looks like people in Oregon have a lot of coffee related reasons to give thanks!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011, 6:40pm

ginalola Said:

I've never tried Deep Cello Nostromo, but it sounds delicious.  I'd like to learn more about this blend, too.

Posted September 19, 2011 link

I penned my impression of the Nostromo - here is what I have written:

The bag says "Nostromo" means trusted friend in Italian. The wonderful aroma coming from the bag (the postal package even) announces that a special friend has arrived indeed. Dated 9/15 and dressed in an unpretentious poly lined paper package, this friend comes ready for a nice visit.

The beans are dark with a bit of oil so perhaps more of a southern Italian style friend? I loosen the grind a bit from my last medium roast and let it rip. The pull at 200 F and 15g seems like a good place to start. I get a nice layer of crema and a dark chocolate/bakers chocolate taste in the long lingering finish but as the shot cools I get more of a milk chocolate middle joining the finish. Should I go for a lower temp?

I play around a bit looking for the steak and find a bit more bite finally at 203 F so maybe this is the chewy steak? I drop back to 200 since enjoy my chocolate bar even more. It is great as the base for an Americano, and the flavor is not so subtle that it is lost in milk - I not really surprised how nice the visit has been going though, after all should I expect any less from my "Trusted Friend"?

deepcelloroaster

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Rancilio Classe 6
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Mazzer
Vac Pot: cheapo
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: US Roasters 5-kg
Posted Sun Sep 25, 2011, 11:00pm

As to temps several have quoted using; always trust your taste! I'd go towards the lower temps, 199 or 200...will be more forgiving, at said 14-15 gram dosing.  I am so used to roasting on the lighter-medium side of the Agtron scale that my partners had to hold a vac-pot to my head to get me roasting into the mahogany scale of things.  This has become one of our most popular coffees, so I guess there is a dark-roast following to meet up with out there, and welcome!  
There will always be an inherent sweetness/chocolatiness to Nostromo as the base coffee in the blend is a high-end natural process Brazil, 15-16 screen size, and the other coffees all have nice sweet spots even at the darker roast level.
Eric....are you using a Silvia?  In general I've found that with the one we have at the roastery...NO PID, btw...we let the macchina run a good half hour before attempting any shot pulling.  Our "surfing" is just a 1 or 2 second discharge, which seems to always get us to around 200 degrees when we pull the actual shots.
thanks for spreading the word, and appreciate the insightful comments here...will make myself available!---justin
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ginalola

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II; Pasquini...
Grinder: (2) Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 8:27am

Eric, what a beautiful description of your new trusted friend.....you have convinced me!  I shall place my order for Nostromo as soon as I put a dent in the 5 pounds of Red Bird that just arrived.  Thanks for your review.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 4:17pm

ginalola Said:

Eric, what a beautiful description of your new trusted friend.....you have convinced me!  I shall place my order for Nostromo as soon as I put a dent in the 5 pounds of Red Bird that just arrived.  Thanks for your review.

Posted September 26, 2011 link

Thanks for the kind words - one day I am going to try the Redbird too. I hear many good comments about it.

deepcelloroaster Said:

As to temps several have quoted using; always trust your taste! I'd go towards the lower temps, 199 or 200...will be more forgiving, at said 14-15 gram dosing.  I am so used to roasting on the lighter-medium side of the Agtron scale that my partners had to hold a vac-pot to my head to get me roasting into the mahogany scale of things.  This has become one of our most popular coffees, so I guess there is a dark-roast following to meet up with out there, and welcome!  
There will always be an inherent sweetness/chocolatiness to Nostromo as the base coffee in the blend is a high-end natural process Brazil, 15-16 screen size, and the other coffees all have nice sweet spots even at the darker roast level.
Eric....are you using a Silvia?  In general I've found that with the one we have at the roastery...NO PID, btw...we let the macchina run a good half hour before attempting any shot pulling.  Our "surfing" is just a 1 or 2 second discharge, which seems to always get us to around 200 degrees when we pull the actual shots.
thanks for spreading the word, and appreciate the insightful comments here...will make myself available!---justin

Posted September 25, 2011 link

Thanks for the reply Justin. I am using my new Quick Mill Silvano with the Nostromo.  I dropped temps today and played around with some different grinders to see what was what.  I like the way the flat burr grinder really punched the baker's chocolate in the finish right on through compared to my conical - conical ground shot was still good but had less clarity and faded faster in the finish.  I am down to my last 100g so tomorrow it is time to try the Black Tie.  

Dear lord, After reading about multiple grinders and temps and tastes in my own post I just realized I am starting to sound like a coffeegeek.

gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 5:10pm

Just finished up 2 lbs of their Black Tie and it was good, got it through Roaste. Ordered it on a Friday and received it on the following Monday, that's going from Portland,Or to North Carolina and that's with the old Postal Service and not UPS

Gery Bastiani
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Sep 26, 2011, 5:55pm

gbastiani1952 Said:

Just finished up 2 lbs of their Black Tie and it was good, got it through Roaste. Ordered it on a Friday and received it on the following Monday, that's going from Portland,Or to North Carolina and that's with the old Postal Service and not UPS

Posted September 26, 2011 link

Sounds like you know your way around this coffee and it sounds like you enjoy it  - what would you recommend as far as temp and dose starting off?

The beans I grind tomorrow morning will be my first "Black Tie" affair. : )

gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Mon Oct 3, 2011, 8:09pm

Hey Eric I usually start out with 15g and for temps I haven't checked since I don't have a thermometer and my machine is a Gaggia Baby, as for a grinder I've got a Cimbali Junior and have it set at 5. I get a good layer of crema also getting ready to order some more Black Tie but also going to try the Nostromo. The last time I ordered it, the bags were 1 lb size now I see that their 12 oz in weight but the same price.

Gery Bastiani
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Deep Cello...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295641899109)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+