Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Allegro's organic Bel Canto--nice
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Allegro's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 10:42am
Subject: Allegro's organic Bel Canto--nice

I haven't been impressed with their offerings for brewed. I've had a similar response as to others here on CG regarding Allegro: not terrible, not great. I'd also tried their Espresso Sierra and thought it was just mediocre.

But I grabbed enough of this for two shots today at Whole Foods (air roast). Tagged "northern Italian" at the store. Roast color reflects this is correct. Looks like utter threshold of 2C.

I pulled two rounds of Bel Canto (three days off roast), and I must say, it was surprisingly good. It reminded me of Red Bird. Nutty, caramel-ly, verging on the Snickers thing.

I pulled a tight "single" (between ristretto and true single) on my Caravel. This basket is between the more common single and double sizes--11 grams--@~202, shot volume about 3/4 ounce, steady hard pull (longer time than usual).

Nice mottling, velvety texture, balanced mouthfeel. Creamy, but not mousse creamy. Nice balance of velvetiness and semi-thick creaminess. Really good balance in terms of flavor: above flavors with light milk chocolate. No spicy sharpness.

I'm getting more.

Give it a try. See if you like it.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 9:14pm
Subject: Re: Allegro's organic Bel Canto--nice

Surprising profile for an air roasted coffee.
Curious about it's components, but with that roast style, I'd have to say a goodly amount of Brasilian?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Posted Thu May 26, 2011, 6:09am

IMAWriter Said:

Brasilian?

Posted May 25, 2011 link

Most likely.

From Allegro's Organic Espresso Bel Canto webpage: "first we create a base layer of low hues, which are heavy and nutty beans from the Americas, onto which we splash bursts of vibrant color which are the fruit kissed coffees of Ethiopia."

Part of that profile may have been due to macchina and mano. I'll spin it different ways and see what comes out.  : )

www.lampmode.com
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun May 29, 2011, 7:35am

I picked up some of this the other day, the first shot I took it was obvious that the coffee was too fresh as it just kinda blew up.

This morning I pulled a shot, still I think a little too fresh. However, I got a nice shot from it (ie rich color and about 25ish seconds) a real chocolate liquor taste to it that really over powered anything else that might be there. Tomorrow it should be good to go.

Less water, more grounds.
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Wed Jun 1, 2011, 9:59am

Done a few more shots of this over the past few days, it's pretty good. I keep getting that liquor taste in the shot with some nuts in the background. I got a weird rum raisin shot from it yesterday when I made a cappa out of it. Anyway, I've found it more interesting than enjoyable.

toenail

Espresso: Modified Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Kyocera, Maestro
Drip: Bialetti Moka, Bodum press
Posted Mon Jun 6, 2011, 5:48am

I wish I could get some of this that was not over-roasted. The local Whole Foods seems in favor of charring everything they touch, with the exception of Breakfast Blend. When I lived in RI I used to purchase the Bel Canto occasionally for brewed coffee and enjoyed the flavor profile. That was before I was really into espresso.
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2011, 12:15pm

toenail Said:

I wish I could get some of this that was not over-roasted. The local Whole Foods seems in favor of charring everything they touch, with the exception of Breakfast Blend. When I lived in RI I used to purchase the Bel Canto occasionally for brewed coffee and enjoyed the flavor profile. That was before I was really into espresso.

Posted June 6, 2011 link

My previous Whole Foods that I lived near dark roasted everything, and I think they roasted the entire quarters supplied of beans in one day. Where as this one actually does do light and medium roasts and does so about every 4 days. I have been pretty impressed by what I have been getting and a welcomed surprise.

toenail

Espresso: Modified Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Kyocera, Maestro
Drip: Bialetti Moka, Bodum press
Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011, 12:43pm

Intrepid510 Said:

My previous Whole Foods that I lived near dark roasted everything, and I think they roasted the entire quarters supplied of beans in one day. Where as this one actually does do light and medium roasts and does so about every 4 days. I have been pretty impressed by what I have been getting and a welcomed surprise.

Posted June 16, 2011 link

It boils down to local management. Many Whole foods stores roast daily. Unfortunately that's no guarantee that they roast correctly. I'm glad your local store is on the ball.
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Posted Sun Nov 27, 2011, 2:01pm

Ridiculous shot of Bel Canto (6 days off roast) just now. Mouthfeel combined with flavor was like eating whipped cream that tasted like chocolate-covered cherries.

1 oz | 10.5 grams | 201.5 F | Arrarex Caravel

www.lampmode.com
earthmobile
earthmobile

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Versalab M3
Roaster: HotTop B
Posted Tue Nov 29, 2011, 6:37pm

The Whole Foods in my area have no idea what they are doing. I checked 8 or so beans that had 3 days since roast day and none of them had an aroma. I am used to buying from a roaster in town who does it for a living and his beans are intoxicating on the 3rd day. Needless to say, I am not buying beans from Whole Foods.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Allegro's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28543806076)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+