Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Redbird Espresso
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Redbird Espresso  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 51 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 9:54am
Subject: Re: Redbird Espresso

Just pulled a couple 18g/200* straight shots of the Redbird (day 6) & the Snickers bar has emerged! Tried it yesterday shortly after it arrived but it definitely wasn't ready. One night in the hopper made a world of difference. Jeff says it hits it's prime on day 7 so I'm really looking forward to seeing what 1 more day brings out.

I also want to put in a good word for Jeff's Decaf Espresso blend (http://www.redbirdcoffee.com/decafespresso.html) which I tried yesterday on day 10 (18g/199*).  This is the first decaf espresso I've tried that not only tasted good straight but left a nice lingering aftertaste that makes you want to go back for another.

John
 View Profile Link to this post
canon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 2:20pm
Subject: Re: Red Bird Espresso

John,

Interesting comment about the Jeff's Decaf.  How would you compare the taste to Red Bird Espresso please?

I have never bought a decaf as I don't normally drink coffee after 3PM because of the caffeine.  However I think I would enjoy a nice coffee after dinner.

Bob

JVBorella Said:

Just pulled a couple 18g/200* straight shots of the Redbird (day 6) & the Snickers bar has emerged! Tried it yesterday shortly after it arrived but it definitely wasn't ready. One night in the hopper made a world of difference. Jeff says it hits it's prime on day 7 so I'm really looking forward to seeing what 1 more day brings out.

I also want to put in a good word for Jeff's Decaf Espresso blend (http://www.redbirdcoffee.com/decafespresso.html) which I tried yesterday on day 5 (18g/199*).  This is the first decaf espresso I've tried that not only tasted good straight but left a nice lingering aftertaste that makes you want to go back for another.

Posted May 11, 2010 link

JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Wed May 12, 2010, 11:39am
Subject: Re: Red Bird Espresso

canon Said:

John,Interesting comment about the Jeff's Decaf.  How would you compare the taste to Red Bird Espresso please?
Bob

Posted May 11, 2010 link

I wouldn't, the decaf just isn't that interesting but its still very good for a decaf. As a straight shot I get a nice bittersweet chocolate & in a 5 oz Cappo the steamed milk brings it closer to milk chocolate sweetness with the chocolate still standing out.

Unlike  every other decaf espresso blend I've tried to date this one doesn't have that decaf taste. Like a good straight shot it leaves you wanting another & if you didn't know it was decaf you'd think you were drinking a pleasant "regular" blend. Nothing to shout about unless you compare it to other decafs. Very enjoyable as a late afternoon/early evening espresso fix.

John
Dave_I

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II
Grinder: Baratza Mario
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Cheap coffee machine (can't...
Roaster: None . . . yet.
Posted Thu May 13, 2010, 1:14pm

jammin Said:

I'm def. interested to hear your thoughts on the Amaro.  I plan on ordering a couple #'s of that next.

~j

Posted May 10, 2010 link

Hey Jammin,

I'm planning on opening that tomorrow.  I'll be trying it as Espresso and as either French Press a/o Vacuum pot brewed.  From what I've read, it might be too bright for Espresso by itself, or it might be awesome.  I've seen both.  I guess I'll find out.

-Cheers
Dave_I

Posted Thu May 13, 2010, 6:20pm

I tried the Amaro Gayo.  I haven't nailed it yet, but using roughly the same settings (18 grams, 93* C, ended up a slow ~1.5 oz. shot for the AG) as the Redbird Espresso, I got a fruity, not-quite-dialed-in Espresso.  I think I need to go a tad coarser and might play with the temp.  It was pretty good (for a non-dialed shot) and interesting.  I'm also going to try it in a Cappuccino and probably some Vacuum Pots (as noted).  So far, I like it.

-Cheers
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Thu May 13, 2010, 6:44pm

The Amaro Gayo from Klatch that I had a few months ago was like chocolate covered berries in the cup but took a good 7-8 days rest to hit its prime.

Finished off Jeff's Decaf blend today with two straight shots. At 13 days post roast I thought it might be fading but was very pleasantly surprised by sweet caramel candy in both shots. A truly amazing decaf blend that just keeps getting better so I'll have to take back my comment about it not being all that interesting. Wish I had more on hand to see what happens after 13 days.

As far as the Redbird goes I've had a few nice sweet "Snickers" type straight shots but many have been dominated by a strong dry peanut flavor that reminds me of the Paradise Brazil Ouro Preto S/O which was not one of my favorites. My best shots so far have been Ristrettos cut early which seem to bring out the sweetness that gets lost in higher volumes.

John
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Thu May 13, 2010, 6:53pm

Sounds like you're off to a good start Dave!  

looking forward to your final thoughts:)

roast your own
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Fri May 14, 2010, 9:02am

Just a quick post to say that I just found out that the decaf espresso sample Jeff sent was already 5 days old the day it was shipped. I editted my previous comments on the decaf to reflect the correct age of the blend when I pulled my shots.  13 days old & still improving. Amazing!!

John
dtsuther

Espresso: Brewtus III
Grinder: Anfim Best; Compak K10 Pro...
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Fri May 14, 2010, 9:24am

it's just like a Snickers bar(serious).

Enough said.  I am getting some:)
Dave_I

Posted Fri May 14, 2010, 9:25am

JVBorella Said:

The Amaro Gayo from Klatch that I had a few months ago was like chocolate covered berries in the cup but took a good 7-8 days rest to hit its prime.

Posted May 13, 2010 link

Yeah, I'm getting closer, but I'm going to try and down-dose (reading Jman's comments and I think a few others, it does better <16g and I've been trying it at 18g).  It's still good, but that's supposed to open it up, and I think I'm still a bit off with my grind.

As far as the Redbird goes I've had a few nice sweet "Snickers" type straight shots but many have been dominated by a strong dry peanut flavor that reminds me of the Paradise Brazil Ouro Preto S/O which was not one of my favorites. My best shots so far have been Ristrettos cut early which seem to bring out the sweetness that gets lost in higher volumes.

I've got a bit of the peanut flavor.  I'm still getting my technique down though because my really great shots are kind of few & far between, but I think I'm getting my stuff straight because the overall quality has gotten better and more consistent.  Anyway, not sure how much of it's me vs. the coffee sometimes.  But I like it so far (gotten a lot of chocolate/dark-chocolate w/ some nut, not quite the sweetness though), and I'd be willing to try your Ristretto-cut-early to see if it works better with my setup.

-Cheers
showing page 3 of 51 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Redbird Espresso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311880111694)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+