Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Roaste
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Roaste  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
elwood00
elwood00
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Conti Prestina Lever
Grinder: Versalab M3, Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: no vac, just pot
Drip: Post-Nasal
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 6:25am
Subject: Re: Roaste

'been using roaste for 3-4 months now and have NEVER been disappointed. They are rock solid. Cannot beat the prices and the discounts you get for writing reviews are phenomenal - I paid $26 for 2 pounds of vivace and 2 pounds of Klatch House Blend after I applied my ebeans for writing a few reviews..... klatch and vivace were roasted on 5/5 and were on my doorstep on 5/8 (atlanta)... cannot beat that

I guess they get their roasters' lowest pricing based on their, what I have to assume, very large volume and take parts of that to supplement shipping. Klatch and Vivace use the USPS and its priority flat rate envelope, which has a $4.90 retail (not sure how much that is discounted for medium to large volume shippers).

Not sure about Klatch, but Vivace coffee usually is more expensive - $15 per pound, compared to the $13.50 on their own website- sometimes they do run a 10% off special on it. (but the free shipping MORE than makes up for it)

Not sure, but I have a hunch that the generous ebeans will be downsized, once they have sufficient reviews for all the products they offer - I cannot see how the can sustain giving such enormous discounts on a continuous basis, but a packed product review section helps tremendously in making a site 'alive and active' - so, as I said, I assume this is a somewhat temporary cost of marketing approach..... I, for one, am writing about every product i order..... ;)
 View Profile Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed May 12, 2010, 2:04am

So, Ive broken into my order from RoastE.  My order was from 1lb each of Vivace Dolce and Vita.

I opened them both at 6days rest.  The 1/2b packaging is kinda cool.  For you freezers, its gotta be lovely.  Open box, toss in freezer, done.  I dont freeze anymore, so I just found it to be kinda cool.  :)

So, I had the VII set to 95C, and it was freshly backflushed, with clean group gear, and my MXK had been freshly "Grindz-ed".

So, I went for the first shot of Dolce, at 19grams.  Hmm.. Bit of a choke.  Lets adjust.  

Second Shot was dosed at 18grams.  95C, no P/I.  I watched the perfect beading of what was to become the most beautiful ristretto flow I have ever seen.  Soon, the lovely caramel and chocolate stripes were pouring into my cup, and I was so excited to finally try some Dolce Espresso.

I smelled the shot, it smelled amazing.  The crema was THICK and almost clumpy(the Monsooned coffee does that), and seriously stuck to the side walls of the cup when swirled.  The first sip, was heaven.  The second and final sip, was heaven on steroids.  This was an amazing shot.  So incredibly smooth, tasting of sweet chocolate and thick caramel, with just a hint of holiday type spices, and more chocolate on the end.  I must have another.  So, I loaded up and pulled another shot, and when the espresso hit my lips this time, it was different.

Something was different here.  Oh my, is this what I think it.. Yes, yes it is.  That second shot of Dolce', was my personal second GodShot.  This shot was so amazing, so perfect, so decadent, so amazingly sweet, I simply didn't want to swallow the second and final sip.  I wanted it to stay in my mouth forever.  It is all I want to ever taste.  The proverbial GodShot.. The updosed ristretto in its purest form.  This my friends, right in my own home, was the epitome of what espresso should be.  I stood there for a moment, thinking.  WOW.  I cannot believe Ive been an espresso fiend this long, and never tried Vivace Dolce.  I have said many times that Espresso can be sweet, and often is sweet.  I have to say, I think the shots of Dolce are the Sweetest shots of espresso Ive ever had.

So, all day today, I was thinking about that shot.  I pulled a number of shots all day, every one of them perfect and amazing... But none of them were repeat godshots.  Not that they werent superbly amazing, but my bar of excellence has been forever risen, and I fear, it is at a standard that only immortals can reach.

But no, seriously.  The Dolce IS that good.  Ive had a lot of espressi, from bright and light single origins, to rich and dark blends.  But the Dolce is something all on its own.  Its so simple, yet so amazing.  Its a coffee I will be buying much, much more of.  Thank you everyone who said it was so good, because thats why I tried it.

Oh, and the Vita.  I also made three cappuccino with the Vita.  Im not a big milk guy, but these were some amazing drinks.  Its like drinking pure caramel sauce, that has cream in it.  Again, so simple, yet so delicious.

If you haven't tried Vivace's Coffees before....   What the hell are you waiting for!?  Get some now!  It is so incredibly delicious!

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed May 12, 2010, 10:04am

Glad you liked it, Jeff . . . it remains my "go to" blend.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
bushrod

Espresso: Livia 90, Elektra MCaL
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C20B
Posted Wed May 12, 2010, 1:34pm

Funny, but we preferred the Vita blend.  My second RoastE order was for three lbs of Vita and one lb of Ecco.  I also have $14.60 in credit for my next order.

I love RoastE!

Rich A
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon May 17, 2010, 5:37pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Glad you liked it, Jeff . . . it remains my "go to" blend.

Posted May 12, 2010 link

Oh I loved man.. And it is now MY go-to blend.  I just placed an order for more Dolce this morning.. I rarely order the same coffee twice in a row, but, the Dolce is great coffee.  

And yes, RoastE is wonderful.  Im likin the EBeans thing.. Im up to 22 Ebeans, Im gonna save em up to get a couple free.

There is also another place like RoastE, called GoCoffeeGo!.  They too operate like RoastE, where all the coffee ships direct from the specific roaster.  Ive not tried them yet, but they have a larger selection of the more popular roasters, like Barefoot, Ritual, Terroir etc etc.  Has anyone tried GoCoffeeGo?  They also advertise here on CoffeeGeek.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Sat Jul 3, 2010, 10:45am

The current espresso selection at ROASTe is pretty disappointing. Some good roasters listed but few of their offerings available. All of Ecco's espressos are listed but all are "out of stock" except the basic one as of yesterday. Paradise is now 5lb bags only. They've added PT's Coffee but none of the espresso offerings. Dolce is about the only thing I would buy there at this time.

Gocoffeego has lots of high quality espresso offerings but it looks like their shipping deals are only with UPS?? Every roaster I'd like to try is out west so UPS isn't an option for me.

John
jammin
jammin
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Sat Jul 3, 2010, 11:11am

JVBorella Said:

The current espresso selection at ROASTe is pretty disappointing. Some good roasters listed but few of their offerings available. All of Ecco's espressos are listed but all are "out of stock" except the basic one as of yesterday. Paradise is now 5lb bags only. They've added PT's Coffee but none of the espresso offerings. Dolce is about the only thing I would buy there at this time.

Gocoffeego has lots of high quality espresso offerings but it looks like their shipping deals are only with UPS?? Every roaster I'd like to try is out west so UPS isn't an option for me.

Posted July 3, 2010 link

not to mention that the rewards program has tapered down quite a bit.  

gocoffeego seems to have spendy shipping unless you buy a few bags.  I decided to order some of Zoka's Paladino but it was $2.00 cheaper to order straight from the roaster.  I could have gotten free shipping if I bought 3 bags under their 4th of july promo but I am a little heavy on coffee(as always).

roast your own
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Jul 7, 2010, 7:32am
Subject: Re: Roaste (and GoCoffeeGo) . . . .

My problem(s) with both Roaste and GoCoffeeGo has far less to do with shipping than with out-of-stocks and/or coffees that they simply do not carry.

As far as shipping is concerned, and ignoring any "specials" that may be offered . . . .

Roaste:  

Ground shipping is a flat $3.75 per vendor. We highly recommend you fill up your cart with items from a single ROASTe vendor, if you wish to save on shipping costs.

GoCoffeeGo:

Office / Commercial Addresses
1 - 2 Bags = 4.99
3 - 4 Bags = 3.99
5+ Bags = Ship Free!

Home Delivery
1 - 2 Bags = 6.99
3 - 4 Bags = 5.99
5+ Bags = Ship Free!

A separate shipping charge applies to coffees from each individual roaster.

That's cheaper than some, more expensive than others -- depending upon the volume of your order, and whether or not the roaster uses USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes.

Cheers,
Jason

JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Jul 7, 2010, 9:01am

ROASTe is still offering free shipping on orders over $25. I ended up placing an order for several Ecco coffees after they added back a few more "in stock" choices & got free Priority Mail shipping.

Be wary of the "shipping notices" that ROASTe sends out as they have little to do with when your coffee will actually leave the roaster. I received a USPS tracking number 12:45am Tuesday from R/e telling me my coffee had shipped but  the order has yet to ship from Ecco according to the tracking info.

John
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Jul 7, 2010, 10:07am

JVBorella Said:

ROASTe is still offering free shipping on orders over $25.

Posted July 7, 2010 link

True.  I accidently left that out.  Thanks for catching my error.

showing page 2 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Roaste  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298112869263)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+