Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Redbird Espresso
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Redbird Espresso  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 52 last page next page
Author Messages
jammin
jammin
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Mon May 3, 2010, 12:09pm
Subject: Redbird Espresso

I just recieved a package of Redbird Espresso this morning compliments of my friend Bob;) Thanks!

The packaging on the coffee itself is really top notch.  Plastic, resealable valve bag that is one of the nicer ones I've seen.  I like how there is a window on the bag to see the actual coffee.

Taste-wise, it's just like a Snickers bar(serious).  Caramel, Nutty, and milk chocolate in that order with a great sweetness to it.  It also stands up quite well in milk.  The caramel and nuts stand out much more in a cappuccino and the chocolate fades away.  Dare I say it, but this stuff might make a darn fine mocha, although I'll probably never find out.  I pulled it right around 200* with a 19 gram dose ~ 1.5oz shot(synesso 14g basket).  I couldn't say much about shot timing since I'm still very new to using p/i.

It's been a while since I've tasted a blend I enjoyed this much.  I look forward to enjoying the rest of this coffee throughout the rest of the week.  

Cheers,

Jackson

jammin: 2010-05-03_12.51.36.jpg
(Click for larger image)

roast your own
 View Profile Link to this post
canon

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon May 3, 2010, 12:37pm
Subject: Re: Redbird Espresso

Jackson......I want my GS3P back!  :)

I think sometimes we lose sight that the big name roasters are the only roasting artisans and only they can roast to the level that we espresso snobs can accept.  Jeff Pentel, owner of Redbird Coffee in Bozeman, MT blows this theory all to hell.  My reaction was exactly the same as Jackson's from the very first drink of Redbird espresso.  Jeff is a Coffeegeek member and I contacted him with questions about his Speedster.  Not only was he extremely generous with his time and knowledge but he wanted me to try Redbird and I am glad that I did.  When you compare the quality of the blend, the roast and the price with almost any blend I have tried, including my highly revered Dolce, Redbird wins hands down.  

I purchased 5 pounds from Jeff and it is going down fast!

P.S.  Note regarding John Borella.  John was also extremely generous with his time and knowledge about his Speedster.  Thank you.

Links:
www.redbirdcoffee.com
jeff@redbirdcoffee.com

jammin Said:

I just recieved a package of Redbird Espresso this morning compliments of my friend Bob;) Thanks!

The packaging on the coffee itself is really top notch.  Plastic, resealable valve bag that is one of the nicer ones I've seen.  I like how there is a window on the bag to see the actual coffee.

Taste-wise, it's just like a Snickers bar(serious).  Caramel, Nutty, and milk chocolate in that order with a great sweetness to it.  It also stands up quite well in milk.  The caramel and nuts stand out much more in a cappuccino and the chocolate fades away.  Dare I say it, but this stuff might make a darn fine mocha, although I'll probably never find out.  I pulled it right around 200* with a 19 gram dose ~ 1.5oz shot(synesso 14g basket).  I couldn't say much about shot timing since I'm still very new to using p/i.

It's been a while since I've tasted a blend I enjoyed this much.  I look forward to enjoying the rest of this coffee throughout the rest of the week.  

Cheers,

Jackson

Posted May 3, 2010 link

roastbear
roastbear

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 with...
Grinder: Macap M4 with doser
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon May 3, 2010, 4:42pm

I am a huge supporter of small indie businesses. This company gets extra points for sustainablity and giving back through Coffee Kids.
Their site is thoughtfully designed as well.

My next order will be 2 lbs of Redbird. Looking forward to it!!

PS. Redbird's website is linked to PayPal, another bonus for PayPal users.
canon

Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 3:42am

Robert....I think you are going to be surprised at the flavors that you get.

Something to think about in the future if you enjoy Redbird.   When ordering a 5 pound bag the cost per pound is $7 plus $10.20 for shipping.  $45 for 5 pounds is an incredible deal for this quality coffee.

roastbear Said:

I am a huge supporter of small indie businesses. This company gets extra points for sustainablity and giving back through Coffee Kids.
Their site is thoughtfully designed as well.

My next order will be 2 lbs of Redbird. Looking forward to it!!

PS. Redbird's website is linked to PayPal, another bonus for PayPal users.

Posted May 3, 2010 link

Dave_I

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II
Grinder: Baratza Mario
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Cheap coffee machine (can't...
Roaster: None . . . yet.
Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 6:55am

canon Said:

Not only was he extremely generous with his time and knowledge but he wanted me to try Redbird and I am glad that I did.  When you compare the quality of the blend, the roast and the price with almost any blend I have tried, including my highly revered Dolce, Redbird wins hands down.

I purchased 5 pounds from Jeff and it is going down fast!

Posted May 3, 2010 link

What kind(s) have you tried?  Confession; I just ordered a lb. of Cardinal Blend since it's their house blend (seemed a good place to start) and a lb. of Amaro Gayo (since I was interested in it from the reviews but missed out on Klatch's supply), so I have no idea what any of them taste like, but the reviews piqued my interest and I like supporting the smaller companies so that kind of moved them to the head of the line.

Anyway, thanks for this thread.  Now I'm just eager to get my order and curious to see how it tastes once I get it.

Edit: I just realized they only have one dedicated espresso roast, the one called Redbird Espresso on their website.  It helps if I were to learn to read, I suppose.  Apparently the Cardinal Blend should work well too.  I ordered some from them and emailed Jeff to ask a  few questions, and he seems a super cool guy who answered my questions in quick form, so kudos to him.  Jeff, if you read this, I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

-Cheers
canon

Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 10:46am

Dave...I have tried two of Jeff's blends.  The one I have flipped over is Red Bird.  The other was one that he was working on which Amaro Gayo was added.  I haven't tried Cardinal but I suspect if it has Jeff's signature on it you will be pleased.

Bob

Dave_I Said:

What kind(s) have you tried?  Confession; I just ordered a lb. of Cardinal Blend since it's their house blend (seemed a good place to start) and a lb. of Amaro Gayo (since I was interested in it from the reviews but missed out on Klatch's supply), so I have no idea what any of them taste like, but the reviews piqued my interest and I like supporting the smaller companies so that kind of moved them to the head of the line.

Anyway, thanks for this thread.  Now I'm just eager to get my order and curious to see how it tastes once I get it.

Edit: I just realized they only have one dedicated espresso roast, the one called Redbird Espresso on their website.  It helps if I were to learn to read, I suppose.  Apparently the Cardinal Blend should work well too.  I ordered some from them and emailed Jeff to ask a  few questions, and he seems a super cool guy who answered my questions in quick form, so kudos to him.  Jeff, if you read this, I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

-Cheers

Posted May 4, 2010 link

Dave_I

Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 10:54am

canon Said:

Dave...I have tried two of Jeff's blends.  The one I have flipped over is Red Bird.  The other was one that he was working on which Amaro Gayo was added.  I haven't tried Cardinal but I suspect if it has Jeff's signature on it you will be pleased.

Bob

Posted May 4, 2010 link

Thanks Bob.  I actually kinda ordered the Cardinal blend by mistake since I meant it for espresso.  I think it'll be a happy accident because I got a siphon/vacuum pot not long ago I've been meaning to try out.  Anyway, I emailed and asked if I could add some Redbird Espresso to it, he said yeah, so now I've got three lbs. coming (Redbird, Cardinal, and Amaro Gayo which I've been keen to try for a while) and I'll get to putz around with straight espresso, cappuccino, and the siphon or pour-over.  Jeff said/implied the Cardinal Blend would probably work for espresso, and offered a sample of the Redbird as well, but I know I'll go through more coffee if I'm trying out pots of siphon-brewed coffee, I'd end up trying a pound of the Redbird anyway, and the combo of combined shipping & my curiosity got the better of me.

Basically, for having never tried Jeff's coffee, he's won me over pretty hard by being an overall decent bloke.

-Cheers
canon

Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 1:03pm

Dave,  I would suggest that you give Jeff a call about your order mistake.  If not already roasted/shipped I am sure he would change it to Redbird for you.  That's the kind of guy he is.

Bob

Dave_I Said:

Thanks Bob.  I actually kinda ordered the Cardinal blend by mistake since I meant it for espresso.  I think it'll be a happy accident because I got a siphon/vacuum pot not long ago I've been meaning to try out.  Anyway, I emailed and asked if I could add some Redbird Espresso to it, he said yeah, so now I've got three lbs. coming (Redbird, Cardinal, and Amaro Gayo which I've been keen to try for a while) and I'll get to putz around with straight espresso, cappuccino, and the siphon or pour-over.  Jeff said/implied the Cardinal Blend would probably work for espresso, and offered a sample of the Redbird as well, but I know I'll go through more coffee if I'm trying out pots of siphon-brewed coffee, I'd end up trying a pound of the Redbird anyway, and the combo of combined shipping & my curiosity got the better of me.

Basically, for having never tried Jeff's coffee, he's won me over pretty hard by being an overall decent bloke.

-Cheers

Posted May 4, 2010 link

Dave_I

Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 1:09pm

canon Said:

Dave,  I would suggest that you give Jeff a call about your order mistake.  If not already roasted/shipped I am sure he would change it to Redbird for you.  That's the kind of guy he is.

Bob

Posted May 4, 2010 link

I thought about that, but I'm actually interested in all three so I'm just keeping the order for the three varieties.  I think he'd change it too.  However, I would honestly like to try all three anyway, and I'll burn through quite a bit more with pots of siphoned coffee (especially between my wife and I, she'll drink normal volume pots more than cappuccinos and she doesn't do espresso) than espresso so it'd get used regardless.  I could also freeze some (I haven't done so in part due to the controversy, and I just prefer as fresh as possible all things being equal), but I do not think that will be really necessary.  I'm not worried about it to be honest.

I DO appreciate the suggestion though.

-Cheers
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Fri May 7, 2010, 9:02pm

redbird extraction, just after going from line pressure to pump.

jammin: IMG_0501.jpg
(Click for larger image)

roast your own
showing page 1 of 52 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Redbird Espresso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34366106987)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+