Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Tempered Sugar/Italian Espresso
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Tempered...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Oldworld_Luke
Oldworld_Luke
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Romantica/modded...
Grinder: Mazer Major
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Tek
Roaster: 6lb San Fran.
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 1:24am
Subject: Tempered Sugar/Italian Espresso

Has anyone here ever tried an espresso blend where the roast is dropped after the sugar melts, and is then reintroduced to the roaster.  I know its uncommon to find on the east coast here in the US, but it does exist.

I have produced it myself, but I would like to try someone other than mines'.

Thanks!

-Luke
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lsjms
lsjms

Espresso: Pid Quickmill 0820, Achille
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Hottop(Manual)
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 2:18am
Subject: Re: Tempered Sugar/Italian Espresso

As a home roaster I'm curious to know what on earth you are talking about. Never heard of this.
What sugar? Sugars in the bean?
Are you saying coffee is half roasted, cooled and reroasted?
 View Profile Link to this post
Oldworld_Luke
Oldworld_Luke

Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 2:26am

Sucrose melts just under 370 degrees, so the idea is to take it just past this, right around the beginning of first crack, and then drop it and cool it to room temperature.  Once the coffee is cooled to the touch, put it back in the roaster, but make sure the roaster rebounds at above waters boiling point (212).  Then continue the roast as normal (the cracks are much quieter in my experience though so be warned!)

I encourage you to try this yourself (AND EXPERIMENT!), the results will surprise you.  Often times the coffee will make mediocre drip or press cups, but does very well as espresso.  I have seen Ethiopian Yirgacheffe that was horrid as a press, but the blueberry flavor it had as espresso overpowered the syrups we were making drinks with!

I have spoken to several other roasters about this method, we concur that it has to do with how sugars form crystals, very similar to candy making.  I do not wish to give away all the theory here, but I will let you know that it is easier to pull espresso with this than other blends, in part because it can tolerate more heat.  I also have theorized that you COULD make better drip coffee with this by changing the grind size and dosage, no longer following the 8g to 4 oz rules, but I have yet to test this.

Have fun!
lsjms
lsjms

Espresso: Pid Quickmill 0820, Achille
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Hottop(Manual)
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 3:02am

Well it all sounds very odd but I am open minded and always prepared to wreck a charge in the name of learning. Interesting as I stalled my first roast not too long ago and chucked it. Never thought to try reroast.

"horrid as a press, but the blueberry flavor it had as espresso overpowered the syrups we were making drinks with!"
This is not the most appealing of descriptions Luke, I take it you are saying it makes a nicer espresso shot than the same coffee roasted otherwise.

"I do not wish to give away all the theory here"
Interesting standpoint given you have told us the method!

Best
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 6:43am

Never heard of it before, but then again, I generally don't like a "(Southern) Italian roast."

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Oldworld_Luke
Oldworld_Luke

Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 1:40pm

lsjms Said:

Well it all sounds very odd but I am open minded and always prepared to wreck a charge in the name of learning. Interesting as I stalled my first roast not too long ago and chucked it. Never thought to try reroast.

"horrid as a press, but the blueberry flavor it had as espresso overpowered the syrups we were making drinks with!"
This is not the most appealing of descriptions Luke, I take it you are saying it makes a nicer espresso shot than the same coffee roasted otherwise.

"I do not wish to give away all the theory here"
Interesting standpoint given you have told us the method!

Best

Posted April 16, 2010 link

Not ALL of the theory has been given away :P

"This is not the most appealing of descriptions Luke, I take it you are saying it makes a nicer espresso shot than the same coffee roasted otherwise. "

Yes, we tested this with many single origins and 3 blends, the same temp as a single roast against a double roast, and found that every time it produced better espresso, and only once did it produce a decent press.
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010, 8:05pm

Hmm, I'd heard of double roasting before, but never with the angle on the melting of the sugar.  I remember reading last year here how Adrian (drdna) on Home-Barista would stop his Behmor at first crack, allow it to cool, then re-roast as a way to control the endpoint.

I also found a scant mention to "twice-roasted" in this Bean There, Roasted That, Part Two article by Terry Montague on CoffeeGeek.

I once had the Behmor drum come off during a roast and had to use this technique, but now I'm tempted to try this on purpose, though this thread on Opinions for re-roasting? doesn't have a high opinion of it at all.  There's also a What is 'double roasting'???? thread that's a little more extensive and informative.

I'm interested to hear more about this.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Tempered...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227591991425)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+