Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
What do we look for in an online coffee roaster?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > What do we look...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
sieken
sieken
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brugnetti MC-1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Apr 12, 2010, 12:07pm
Subject: What do we look for in an online coffee roaster?

What does everyone look for in a good online coffee roaster?  Some of us aren't fortunate enough to live in the Portland, Seattle, or SF areas where world class roasters are available within walking distance and have to go online to find good beans.  Living in Atlanta, I have to drive across town to find the only good coffee roaster in town (in my opinion of course) and it would at times take me an hour to get there and back.  Because of this, I began ordering from Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Klatch, and other roasters online even though I'm now paying upwards of $25 per pound when you include shipping.  I feel like I'm not getting the same experience out of clicking a button online as I do walking into my roaster's shop and buying a bag of beans.

I'm curious, what are we getting out of online roasters, and what could make them better?

Altitude Coffee - The Web's First User-Driven Coffee Roaster
www.altitudecoffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
canon

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Apr 12, 2010, 12:33pm
Subject: Re: What do we look for in an online coffee roaster?

My number one issue ordering coffee is the shipping cost.  

I would suggest that you go to roaste.com and check out the roasters that are part of their service.  Right now they are offering free shipping on a two pound order from the roasters that are part of the program.  

Go here to find a list of the roasters that are part of Roaste.  
http://www.roaste.com/About/coffee-roasters

My favorite espresso is Vivace Dolce and their shipping costs were extremely high until I started ordering through Roaste.  There is no difference in delivery times from ordering from roaste or directly from the roaster.  The difference is that you will pay less.
 View Profile Link to this post
sieken
sieken

Espresso: Brugnetti MC-1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Apr 12, 2010, 12:41pm

I've seen roaste on some previous posts, but haven't ordered through them yet.  I wonder how much they're going to start charging once the "Free Shipping for a Limited Time" special goes away.

Altitude Coffee - The Web's First User-Driven Coffee Roaster
www.altitudecoffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
wfallon

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo Manual...
Grinder: Baratza Vario!
Vac Pot: Yama (broken..)
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Popcorn poppers!
Posted Mon Apr 12, 2010, 1:10pm

I'm not sure how much the shipping will be, but it seems to be that you earn rewards towards future purchases as you purchase through them, maybe as much as a few $/lb. I just ordered a pound of Vivace Dolce through them and am VERY happy with the way the order was filled and shipped. I ordered on Sunday and had beans roasted on monday in WA by wednesday, here in RI! I will probably plan to use them most chances I get in the near future!

Good luck!
Bill
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Mon Apr 12, 2010, 2:31pm

Shipping does seem to be the greatest hurdle in online ordering. It costs a lot for a roaster to ship pounds of coffee in a timely manner (i.e. days after roasting) I bought a 1/2 pound of Black Cat from Intelly a while back, which turned out to be $19 after shipping (to Western NY). It got to me in two days, but I paid more for shipping than the beans.
ROASTe, however, has been great in that, in addition to the free shipping they've been offering, they reward purchases and reviews with points. I bought a pound of Dolce a few weeks ago, and then gave a review, and the combination earned me $6.30 in rewards. It appears that each of their "eBeans" are equivalent to $0.10 of store credit. I'm not sure what their shipping scheme is, but to pay nothing and have coffee arrive two days after it was roasted is a valuable service. If they can maintain even a discount on shipping, they will have my business for a long time. Hopefully, other roasters will join in, or figure out how to provide lower shipping charges.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
clumeng

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Mon Apr 12, 2010, 4:53pm

Counter culture has $5 flat rate shipping often on all orders. Use Ball jars and stock up your freezer.

Your original question is what we are getting. I do feel that trying new roasters is a great part of the hobby.
dougz

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Mon Apr 12, 2010, 6:42pm

#1:  Free shipping..  Hate paying nearly as much for shipping as I do for the actual beans.

#2:  Obvious passion about coffee and quality.

#3:  A variety of beans to try.

I lucked out and found a roaster that satisfies all 3, AND sells green beans as well..
roastbear
roastbear

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 with...
Grinder: Macap M4 with doser
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Apr 13, 2010, 3:52pm

I have come to appreciate the esspresso blends from the likes of Intelligentsia, Terrior, and more recently, Vivace. Now that I've become spoiled, I won't settle for anything less. I am resigned to pay $9 to ship from Intelligentsia and Terrior for my usual orders of 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. I've just factored that in to the cost of enjoying good espresso. Plus, I have a list of other roasters to try, Counter Culture, Coffee Klatch, etc...

I did recently stumble across ROASTe.com and tried the Vivace Dolce and am enjoying this coffee immensely. Dolce won't replace Terrior Daterra North Italian Style blend as my absolute favorite, and Black Cat will probably always be in my top two, but I give loads of creds to Vivace regarding the shear volume of crema I get from the Dolce blend, and since I can buy Dolce from ROASTe, with free shipping, or a nice discount using points from a previous purchace, I have plenty of incentive to buy more. I earned over $7 to apply to my next purchase, just by buying 2 pounds with my first purchase. Sure they charge a couple more bucks for the coffee, but the credit and/or free shipping still makes it cheaper.

I think ROASTe's concept is very cool. It's a great way to save a dime or two, try something from a roaster you've never tried, and expand your coffee horizon. Kudos to the founder(s) of ROASTe, and thank you. I was wanting to find Intelligentsia or Terrior there, and kind of happy it's not. I will have to do some homework there and make up my wish list and see what other espresso gems they can introduce me too. I've been saving labels and or part of the packaging from all the coffees I've purchased, thinking this might be kind of a cool scrap book down the road.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010, 4:44pm

sieken Said:

What does everyone look for in a good online coffee roaster?  Some of us aren't fortunate enough to live in the Portland, Seattle, or SF areas where world class roasters are available within walking distance and have to go online to find good beans.

Posted April 12, 2010 link

FWIW, I live in the SF Bay Area and order beans from all over the country.

sieken Said:

Living in Atlanta, I have to drive across town to find the only good coffee roaster in town (in my opinion of course) and it would at times take me an hour to get there and back.  Because of this, I began ordering from Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Klatch, and other roasters online even though I'm now paying upwards of $25 per pound when you include shipping.  I feel like I'm not getting the same experience out of clicking a button online as I do walking into my roaster's shop and buying a bag of beans.

How on earth does it get to $25???

sieken Said:

'm curious, what are we getting out of online roasters, and what could make them better?

What are we getting out of online roasters is a very different question than What do we look for in an online coffee roaster, isn't it?

What I look for in a roaster -- any roaster -- is top-quality beans, freshly roasted, with a "Roasted On _________" date (rather than a "Best By ______" date).  What I would prefer is USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Shipping:  coast-to-coast, it's less expensive and faster than FedEx and UPS on smaller (two pounds) shipments.

What we are getting out of online roasters varies with the roaster.  Let's not forget that you can order beans from *$ online, too.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
spaz2
spaz2

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 v2
Grinder: Nino, Mazzer Mini B
Drip: Hario
Posted Thu Apr 15, 2010, 8:41pm

I would like to see all the roasters post clearly on their site, what they feel are the starting brew temps for their espresso beans.  Why the assumption that we all automatically know what the starting brew temp is for a particular bean.  Why should we have to research it? Granted I always learn from the search but how many potential buyers stick to what they buy and where they buy just because the information to easily try something new isn't given by the person hoping to sell you the product.

I'm in agreement  that any roaster charging more than considered costs for shipping is looking for a job in the shipping business and may well find one.

I live where there are several good roasters but I see few of them actually trying to make the extra effort to keep the customer feeling like they are a valued customer.  The more common attitude is indifference I'm sorry to say.  When my customers have questions and problems they expect answers or they move on, as they should.  So I just expect roasters to do what they do well and if they change the blend just let us know.

How about useful descriptions of the bean as it probably tastes after a particular roaster does the roasting his way.  What does "pulls a fantastic shot" really tell me?

Finally I want to receive beans that were roasted and shipped the next day in a quality bag and have that bag size be 2lb if possible.

Tom
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > What do we look...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288944005966)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+