Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Tasting espresso without getting coffee-drunk
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Tasting espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 2, 2009, 9:49pm
Subject: Re: Tasting espresso without getting coffee-drunk

mcKoffee Said:

Spitting out the coffee is the normal procedure when cupping coffee. Not speculation. Ask any coffee professional. It's a mandatory part of the procedure else would be impossible to do the cupping necessary to evaluate the number of coffees necessary.

Posted December 2, 2009 link

Hmmm. Well I guess that really would explain why the folks at *$ don't realize how bitter that stuff is! Keep in mind that I'm not questioning that it's how cuppings are done, just the wisdom of it.
I think I like the BJCP's way of doing things a little more though, just bring in as many judges as you can so you can rotate them before sensory overload (or alcohol) starts to have an effect on the results of the competition.
 View Profile Link to this post
espress0pod
espress0pod
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Dec 8, 2009, 8:28pm

mcKoffee Said:

Last Sunday afternoon I spent 1.5hrs pulling and tasting 36 shots of 6 different beans.

Posted November 28, 2009 link

How in the world did you try 36 shots and still be able to differentiate the variants?

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Chang94598

Posted Mon Dec 28, 2009, 10:58pm

Even with spitting, the caffeine is absorbed not from the stomach nor intestines, but sublingually. Just underneath the tongue, there is a plexus of rich veins, where substances can be absorbed readily; one can just look at this area in the mirror. For example, nitroglycerin, commonly used in chest pain, is placed in this area.

Additionally, diffierent individuals metabolize caffeine differently. People with high cytochrome CYP1A2 (an enzyme in the liver) activity have decreased metabolism of caffeine.
Beaulieu
Beaulieu
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Dec 29, 2009, 9:27am

I was told that broccoli helps digest caffine. I have never went and proven this theory, but the lady who told me is a very talented and very smart barista who taught me more or less everything I know. I dunno the effectiveness though in terms of tasting, such as having broccoli taste in your mouth between sipping on espresso and how that would effect it. but I dunno, maybe. you should try and let me know what the results are
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010, 4:51pm

I was told bananas are helpful, something about the potassium, but I'm not sure how much basis in reality this has.

-Chris

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
mini

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: (Aerobie Aeropress)
Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010, 5:11pm

mcKoffee Said:

Spitting out the coffee is the normal procedure when cupping coffee. Not speculation. Ask any coffee professional. It's a mandatory part of the procedure else would be impossible to do the cupping necessary to evaluate the number of coffees necessary.

Posted December 2, 2009 link

But is spitting common while tasting espresso?  The range and intensity of flavors is fairly different.  Does the balance require more of the tongue?  Anyone know what the WBC judges do?

Matt
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010, 5:16pm

Spitting is normal in wine judging, too.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Wed Jan 6, 2010, 8:27pm

Beaulieu Said:

I was told that broccoli helps digest caffine. I have never went and proven this theory, but the lady who told me is a very talented and very smart barista who taught me more or less everything I know. I dunno the effectiveness though in terms of tasting, such as having broccoli taste in your mouth between sipping on espresso and how that would effect it. but I dunno, maybe. you should try and let me know what the results are

Posted December 29, 2009 link

I know that broccoli is very high in vitamin K as is spinach.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Tasting espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303740978241)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+