Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Best espresso beans/roast
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Best espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
vinceB

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Macap MC4
Drip: Technivorm KBT
Posted Wed Sep 2, 2009, 5:57pm
Subject: Re: Best espresso beans/roast

Thank you both for your informative, helpful replies. It seems unanimous that I need to try some of the online roasters both of you have recommended. I'll get an order placed soon. I picked up another dozen Ball pint jars for bean storage today, so I'm all ready.

Vince
 View Profile Link to this post
Dodge1
Dodge1
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K30 Vario WBC & K10 WBC
Posted Thu Sep 3, 2009, 6:13am

"1. freezing retards staling, and very deep freezing (-40 C or F) eliminates it. Coffee in a home freezer stays fresh for at least a month."

"2. it has to be done right, or it's useless. The coffee has to be stored airtight and allowed to warmup completely before reopening the package. Otherwise one gets condensation, which is worse than staling. It is best if as little moisture laden air as possible is stored with the coffee, vacuum pack is best, wrapping tightly or storing in a filled to the stuffing point jar also work well. I use freezer or valve bags which I roll up tightly to expel the air, then seal. This works fairly well, and keeps the coffee fragrant for at least three weeks."

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

1x on those statements
Ciclisto

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Innova i2
Posted Fri Sep 4, 2009, 12:47pm

vinceB Said:

Thank you both for your informative, helpful replies. It seems unanimous that I need to try some of the online roasters both of you have recommended. I'll get an order placed soon. I picked up another dozen Ball pint jars for bean storage today, so I'm all ready.

Vince

Posted September 2, 2009 link

Here's another roaster, in northern New Jersey, that I like.  They sell mainly commercially, so their best prices are on 5-pound bags.  They're very quick, and it's always fresh IME. They have a large selection.   I live in Connecticut, and if I order online in the evening they usually ship the next afternoon and I get it the day after that.  Like others who've posted here I freeze it small batches (heavy ziploc bags, double), and let the bag warm up for at least several hours before opening.  For the amount beyond what I use in a day, I have a vacu-vin canister that lets me pump most of the air out, which greatly slows one of major staling processes, oxidation.

http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/index.php
vinceB

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Macap MC4
Drip: Technivorm KBT
Posted Fri Sep 4, 2009, 6:47pm

Thanks for the suggestion of Bean Direct. I'll add them to my list of roasters to try. I'm anxious to see how the beans from these different roasters effect what will come out of my machine. So many variables, so little time, and only so much I can drink in a day.

vince
break
break

Espresso: Breville, Moka stovetop
Grinder: Capresso infinity
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: Viking, Chemex
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Dec 20, 2013, 6:59am

For what it's worth, I recommend 2 espresso blends that ai feel are truly top notch...and available by mail:

Metropolis Redline Espresso..Chicago, Ill

Quills' Blacksmith Espresso....Louisville, Kentucky

Both are medium to slightly dark roasts

I live in Cincinnati where I can get fresh roasted Quills at a few places, most notably @ Collective Espresso, a really wonderful craft coffeehouse in the Over the Rhine section f the city. It is also available @ Whole Foods, though I do not imagine as fresh. I assume that Whole Foods in Chicago would have the Metroplis product.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Best espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.202435016632)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+