Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
How to Tell if Coffee is Stale
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > How to Tell if...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Gerry07

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus 3
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario
Posted Thu Jul 17, 2008, 1:28am
Subject: How to Tell if Coffee is Stale

I was recently given a pressie of some Starbucks Coffee Beans(from the states). It was/is a 2lb bag of House Blend in a green bag with Kirkland Signature written on the top. It had been opened but was still full. As I would not typically buy Starbucks Coffee my first inclination was to toss it but as it has a Fair Trade stamp I did not like to waste it. What it does not have is a Best Before date or one that I can see. I did try a shot and it's a fairly dark roast with a slightly burnt taste in the cup of cappa. The actual bean is a blend of arabica, a dark bean that is quite easily crushed between forefinger and thumb. The fact that I can crush a bean so easily leads me to suspect it is stale or at the least over roasted. Would appericate some feedback.
 View Profile Link to this post
xdavez
xdavez
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Thu Jul 17, 2008, 6:33am
Subject: Re: How to Tell if Coffee is Stale

3 rules of thumb:

if the bag is opened it is stale

if it was roasted over 1 or 2 weeks ago, it is stale.

If it sez Starbucks on the bag -- anywhere -- it is burnt / over roasted.

dave
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Jul 17, 2008, 10:54am

Make some coffee with it.  If you like it, keep using it.  If you don't, well, that is the end of the story.

Scott

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
Gerry07

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus 3
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario
Posted Sat Jul 19, 2008, 7:11am

xdavez Said:

3 rules of thumb:

dave

Posted July 17, 2008 link

Thanks guys, having tasted it it deffo does taste burnt. I get all my beans(Already Roasted) from Hasbean in the UK so I will not be drinking the SB's blend but I also detest waste and after all someone worked hard to harvest the beans and a lot of energy was expended to fly the beans half way around the world. I think I will grind it as needed for the French Press for guests. If they complain well and good.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Jul 19, 2008, 9:27am

Grind it and put in a paper bag in the refrig to absorb odors.
BrownWater

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Pro
Grinder: Super Jolly
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: fluid air
Posted Sun Jul 20, 2008, 6:48am

IF you make a pot of coffee witih it the resulting brew will be very bland like a coffee flavored water. If you're making espresso you'll get little to no crema and the shot will go blond very quickly.

Regards,
Vincent
Chang94598

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 8:26pm

If the coffee is not rancid, you can grind and use it for cold French press. Put triple to quadruple the amount of coffee you would normally use for hot French press, and use COLD water. Stir, and put the brew in the refrigerator overnight. Next day push down the plunger, and serve the coffee over ice. It actually makes a drink that is not overly bitter, usually associated with Charbucks beans.
roblumba

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2008, 11:36am

xdavez Said:

3 rules of thumb:

dave

Posted July 17, 2008 link

I don't understand the bag opened test. If you open a bag but use it in the next few days, you should be okay.

1 or 2 weeks is not a good rule of thumb either. I just finished some excellent coffee that was roasted on the 4th. It was a Best of Panama 2007 coffee that originally sold for 36 per 12oz. I got it at $9 for 12oz with a free tin with a one way valve because it was over 2 weeks old. However, the coffee started out being so bold and flavorfull that even at over 2 week past roast, it was delicious and had crema. Extraction was good. It did start to taste bad perhaps 4 days later, but I split it up into individual 8ounce mason jars to help keep it fresh as I used it.

The taste test is good, but be careful to make sure you fiddle with the parameters and try to get a good extraction before determining that it's really stale and tastes horrible. Lack of crema is also a good indication because this means it's really old. The over 2 week old Panama coffee still had plenty of crema. But even when it started to head further south, it still had crema. So taste is ultimate.

There are some tricks to get something out of coffee that is going stale. For example, overdosing. But it will all depend on the coffee. Some coffee's will not develop any off flavors for a long time past roast. It will just change flavor, yet continue to be drinkable and enjoyable and perhaps better than many other coffees. It depends on the bean and the roaster. I think darker roasts are more prone to going bad fast while the lighter roast are more likely to develop into different flavor profiles that are adequately enjoyable. But there's probably exceptions that that too.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Revan

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Doserless Rocky
Posted Tue Aug 5, 2008, 10:27pm

From my experiences, darker roasted beans do tend to go stale much faster than medium or light roasted ones.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Aug 6, 2008, 9:10am

You can tell by smelling the aroma even before you grind. Fresh coffee has a sweet, fresh, vibrant heavenly aroma. Stale coffee (in the extreme) has a sickly, rancid 'off' smell. With a question like this, direct experience is better then ten thousand words.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > How to Tell if...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253550052643)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+