Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
The best Latte/Capp Espresso Blend
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > The best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Slamdunk1128

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Macap M7, El Cafe Tranquilo...
Roaster: Fresh Roast Plus 8
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2008, 10:26pm
Subject: The best Latte/Capp Espresso Blend

Well I am new to roasting, and a few days ago I did 40% Kenyan Tatu Pea berry ( probably the best beans of the bunch), 40% Sumatra Mandeheling and 20% Indian Monsooned Malabar as an espresso blend.  But I was wondering, what would be the best kind of the blend, and the best blend for Capps and Lattes?  Thanks so much.

- Mark
 View Profile Link to this post
ThatCoffeeGuy
ThatCoffeeGuy
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS at shop, nothing at home
Grinder: NS MDX, NS MCF (home), Bunn...
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600, FR-8, Popper,...
Posted Sat Jun 28, 2008, 10:07am
Subject: Re: The best Latte/Capp Espresso Blend

Good ol' Sweet Marias Blending Basics tip sheet is always a good read if you haven't gone through it yet.

It's been a while, I don't know if he references blending for milk drinks or not in there, but I'm not a big fan of milk drinks so I would be a horrible person to ask what cuts through best and what doesn't.

HTH
-Bry

Bryan Wray

"I just hope that people realize that coffee is not just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art." -Christopher Owens
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
mattreynolds

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: 1 Pound SC/TO Roaster.
Posted Sun Jul 6, 2008, 7:46am

Slamdunk1128 Said:

Well I am new to roasting, and a few days ago I did 40% Kenyan Tatu Pea berry ( probably the best beans of the bunch), 40% Sumatra Mandeheling and 20% Indian Monsooned Malabar as an espresso blend.  But I was wondering, what would be the best kind of the blend, and the best blend for Capps and Lattes?  Thanks so much.

Posted June 27, 2008 link

Okay, lets review your question, and before I begin, please note that I'm not trying to be mean or snappy.

Right, so here we go:

Slamdunk1128 Said:

Well I am new to roasting, and a few days ago I did 40% Kenyan Tatu Pea berry ( probably the best beans of the bunch)

Posted June 27, 2008 link

If it's the best, why are you blending it?

#2 Why is your blend the way it is? Why those proportions?

My suggestion is that you roast all the coffees separately. Then you can take your base coffee (say its the kenyan) and then add things to the mix at each brew, accomplishing what it is you what. Don't get anxious if you want a really great blend!

That's my two cents.
Best of luck!
-Matt
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
greeneye
greeneye

Espresso: Isomac Tea HX
Grinder: Mazzer SJ E, Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: 2 cup syphon
Drip: Clever Dripper, V60
Roaster: Coffeetech Torrefattore 2kg
Posted Mon Jul 7, 2008, 1:54am

I've tried blending 3-4 beans with mixed results. Lately I've stuck with 2 beans and have had some great coffees.
My latest is 50% Colombian Bachue and 50% Ethiopian Harar Blue Horse roasted to just past the start of 2nd crack.
It makes a great americano and lattes have a wonderful chocolatey/caramel flavour and the Harar really cuts through the milk.
Tried another today 1 day post roast, 50% Nicaraguan Highgrown bold 50% PNG Bunum Peaberry, made a very smooth subtle flavoured latte so should improve with a few more days degas.
Slamdunk1128

Posted Mon Jul 7, 2008, 12:29pm

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I thought I clicked email notification, i guess i didnt..

Anyway I believe that blend was  a recipe on a website, so that's why I did it.  The thing was that I really shouldn't have blended the tatu-- big mistake!  It was a good blend, but not as good as the tatu by itself.  

Greeneye-- those blends sound interesting.  I was actually looking to do some kind of coffee for Café Cremes too.  Unfortunately I don't have any of the coffees you mentioned!  

I do have these, hopefully some kind poster will tell me a good blend with them :
Java Pancoer Gov. Estate
Guatemalan Huehuetango
Kenya AA Kangongo Estate
Panama Boquete, La Berlina Estate (We tried a city and a city+ roast and it was terrible)
Honduras La Mora Estate
Timor Maubesse
Ethopian Yirgacheffe Peaberry
Kenya Tatu Estate Peaberry
Colombian Popayan Supremo
Sumatra Mandheling
Uganda Bugisu AA
Indian Monsooned Malabar AA Gold

- Mark
greeneye
greeneye

Espresso: Isomac Tea HX
Grinder: Mazzer SJ E, Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: 2 cup syphon
Drip: Clever Dripper, V60
Roaster: Coffeetech Torrefattore 2kg
Posted Tue Jul 8, 2008, 5:32pm

What about:-
Colombian Popayan Supremo as a base 50%
Ethiopian Yirg PB 20%
Sumatra Mandelhing 30%

Guatemalan Huehue 50%
Kenya AA 25%
Timor Maubesse 25%
Slamdunk1128

Posted Tue Jul 8, 2008, 6:43pm

OK that's sounds good.. I unfortunately won't be able to test it any time soon because were going on vacation in a few days. ( I will be forced to remember the life I had before I owned an espresso machine!)  But thank you so much, I will try it when i get back!  Tho I do have a question..
What would be the difference between the two blends in terms of taste?

- Mark
ThatCoffeeGuy
ThatCoffeeGuy

Posted Tue Jul 8, 2008, 6:51pm

30%- Java
30%- Sumatra
20%- Uganda
10%- Malabar
10%- Kenya/Ethiopia

If you find that it is too "deep" and heavy then move the lower percentages to higher ones.  There are a lot of substitutions that could be made here as well.  I've personally done this very blend with good success.  All the beans I used were from Sweet Marias.  The Java was Pancoer, the Sumatra was Classic Mandheling, the Uganda was Bugisu, the Malabar was "Elephant" and the Ethiopian I used was Idido Misty Valley.  Good stuff.

-Bry

Bryan Wray

"I just hope that people realize that coffee is not just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art." -Christopher Owens
Slamdunk1128

Posted Wed Jul 9, 2008, 6:52pm

So how did you come up with those percentages?  Isn't  it better to have less beans in a blend, so you can better taste each bean?

I suppose you can see how new i am to roasting, with these silly questions!

- Mark
ThatCoffeeGuy
ThatCoffeeGuy

Posted Wed Jul 9, 2008, 7:04pm

No, not silly at all.

Well this blend started as a straight shot of Java, but it was lacking so I added Uganda (it was 70 Java/30 Uganda) but I still felt it was lacking (lacking brightness), so I added Ethiopia, then wanted some of that "dirty fruit" as I have come to call Sumatra, then to boost the crema for latte art and such, I added the Malabar.  Basically I just kept finding things I wanted, so I would add something that I figured would add what I wanted.  If I wanted it brighter/more acidic I would things like Kenyas and Ethiopias.  There are no wrong answers, just your preferences.  These days I usually pull SO (single origin) shots anyway, I like to compare different regions more than combine them all together.

-Bry

Bryan Wray

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > The best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275954008102)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+