Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Malabar Gold
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Malabar Gold  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
dm

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Grinder: MACAP M4/Solis Maestro
Drip: ZOJIRUSHI & Bodum FP
Roaster: FR +8
Posted Mon Jul 3, 2006, 1:47pm
Subject: Malabar Gold

I have found a source for green Malabar Gold Beans. I am tempted to buy a pound or two. I have done a search on this board and seems like the beans are really finicky when it comes to roasting them?

Are they that difficult?

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
DarkMajestic

Espresso: Quckmill Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4 and Capresso...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: None
Roaster: Behmor & Cajun Pot.
Posted Mon Jul 3, 2006, 3:38pm
Subject: Re: Malabar Gold

I don't know but they do have robusta beans in the blend ... would robusta roast differently ?

Good Day ...
TomP10
TomP10

Espresso: LaSpaz S1
Grinder: mini E-B; Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama; balance brewer
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Jul 3, 2006, 4:58pm

I have roasted MG and it is tough to get a real even roast.  I presume it is due to the variety of beans used in this blend.  But, don't let the looks fool you... it tastes very, very good.

- T

---------------------------------------------
Three Musketeers?? Nah... Four M's.
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Mon Jul 3, 2006, 10:00pm

dm....... Malabar Gold is my favorite and the choice of everyone that's sampled the blends/roasts that I've brought in for taste tests. Dr. John has quite a story and much time invested in this coffee. Personally, I'm intimindated by what I've heard is his roasting recipe. (both blend and roast recipies are proprietary and protected). It's way beyond my roasting talents; which are below amatuer anyway. He does sell green. But it's to a limited number of green only resellers, and primarily for home roasting. Obviously, you know that.

I can only speak for myself, but I would say that MB, maybe because it's a dryer coffee with more Robusto than most, seems to stand alone from my other blends in that it requires a finer grind, higher temperature and heavier packing of the basket. I wouldn't say "finicky", although I guess I have......somewhere? What I should say is that it stands alone.......both in awarding smooth flavor and in the more unique brew pressure (8-8.5 bar) and temperature (205-207F), along with the suggestion that it be extracted from a "triple", not "double" basket. I've yet to get my triple basket. On my S1 I'm running 9bar and 203F. It works for me, but then as I'm learning, each setup/machine is different and the roaster's guidelines are just that.

I'd be very interested in hearing your results. Please tell me if you've brewed his pre-roasted MB? If you purchase it roasted from any other source than Josuma Coffee Co. in Menlo Park, then the flavor will vary. There are a few resellers who use his green but roast to their own specifications.

Good luck, Al in SoCal

Click Here: My Coffee Area - Streaming Video/Audio

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LibertyPatriot
LibertyPatriot
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: KitchenAid ProLine
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Cruisinart
Roaster: Kitchen Gourmet popper
Posted Thu Jul 6, 2006, 8:31am

I've purchased Malabar Gold from Ed Kuhlman of Kuhlman's Koffee at www.WakeUpJava.com and have experienced good and not so good results so far.  I'm still pretty new at espresso, so technic is mostly at fault.  It produces mounds of crema right from the start due, I would think, to the somewhat dryer roast.  I had not read about the triple basket thing though.  I plan on getting one soon to try out.  My technic is improving with the use of a bottomless PF, but one thing I noticed with the MG is the popping and spraying coming from the basket as I cut off the shot.  I'll try a firmer tamp with the finer grind.

I'm glad I checked out this topic.

Keith

Don't ask me, I'm new here...
alsterling
alsterling

Posted Thu Jul 6, 2006, 8:48am

Keith.....

This may be worth a direct call. My contact email is (alsterling@earthlink.net) There's lotsa' filtering, so make sure you use "coffee geek" in the subject, etc. I'll pull your message through to my inbox. If you want, send me your phone number and a best time to call and I can share some info on machine setup and such. The popping and spraying immediately sounded like the porta-filter was "leaking" from overpressure.....maybe due to an extreme grind setting (too fine) and subsequent pressure build up? It might be worth chatting on the phone "real time." Your choice.

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
LibertyPatriot
LibertyPatriot
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: KitchenAid ProLine
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Cruisinart
Roaster: Kitchen Gourmet popper
Posted Thu Jul 6, 2006, 2:00pm

Al,

The thing is, I don't get the popping and bubbling from another roast I get from Kaldi's Coffee from St. Louis,   The roast I use from there is just their Cafe Kaldi, I like the flovor and I seem to be able to pull somewhat consistant shots with it.  That's what they use for their in house espresso sales.  The thing I don't like about Kaldi's is that they don't mark the prepackaged beans when they were roasted and no one there ever knows when the bulk beans were roasted.  I haven't tried any mail order beans yet.  I like to patronize local business as much as I can.

Keith

Don't ask me, I'm new here...
DarkMajestic

Posted Thu Jul 6, 2006, 3:24pm

"It produces mounds of crema right from the start due, I would think, to the somewhat dryer roast. "

I suspect it's the robusta that's making all the creme ...

I had several shots malabar gold pulled by the blender himself. Very smooth .. mellow ... but too much caffiene it would seem but I'd try it again. LOL

I prefer though a little more action in my espresso.

Good Day ...
alsterling
alsterling

Posted Thu Jul 6, 2006, 3:52pm

LibertyPatriot Said:

Al,

The thing is, I don't get the popping and bubbling from another roast I get from Kaldi's Coffee from St. Louis,   The roast I use from there is just their Cafe Kaldi, I like the flovor and I seem to be able to pull somewhat consistant shots with it.  That's what they use for their in house espresso sales.......Keith

Posted July 6, 2006 link

Well, where exactly does this "popping and stuff...." come from? If it's the PF, then maybe the PF is backin' up like a freight train. In a seperate post I commented on how difficult I found it to use my Macap grinder for anything other than the Malabar. Once the MB is tweaked in, I don't like doing anything to the grinder other than making minor adjustments.

As for buying local, that's a good thought and can certainly help in developing vendor relationships, but I'm finding that there are some "premier" roasters across the West coast. Most of them, and I'm sure this applies all over the country, roast on a Monday and ship late that day or the next. The short transit time gives the coffee time to out-gas and such. When I get a shipment on Friday, it's ready for the grinder. I vacuum pak and refridgerate the balance of the order.

I'd always agree that if one wants more "action", then there are certainly other blends to look to. I keep MB as my favorite "smooth" offering. For me, it's about our friends and what they enjoy. I've never had a negative comment about Malabar. And I'd say that it's an excellent step up for the typical US Starbucks customer. Because it's very easy to offend a friend's palate with a strong espresso, I ask them if they even like espresso drinks. Many don't, and other than experienced coffee hounds only know Starbucks and their coffee flavored milk drinks. By percentage of population, I'd guess that you'd have a tough time finding even 1% of any grouping that drank straight espressos, sans sugar. For Americans, that just isn't a strong part of our coffee heritage. (Brewing in a GI helmet's about as close as I ever came to an espresso in my late teens......, but then, that's a whole 'nother story!)(smile)

About learning this "espresso thing." I've been at this about 6 months and am ready for some formal training. I've probably run through 5 times more shots learning on my own equipment and beans than I've served. I've even forced myself to invite large groups over just to practice back to back drinks. It was only yesterday, after talking to a roaster friend, that I realized that my bitter shots were caused by over-volume extractions. My machine has a volumetric brew cycle.

If you can find a fellow CG'er in your area that's been at it awhile, I'd say that would be a huge bonus. I should have called someone over to the house for private lessons. It would have sped up the process. For us here in So. California, we're right in the backyard of SCAA headquarters. That's a huge advantage and one that I value. I'm still curious about the noise thing? Let me know what you find out....

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
DarkMajestic

Posted Thu Jul 6, 2006, 4:41pm

"I ask them if they even like espresso drinks. "

Yeah ... I understand ... one needs to be prepared to drink espresso I think if they already have an inkling for it. Once in a while a guest will come to my home coffe bar that is interested in straight espresso ... that's a fun time to be an espresso maker. LOL

"I should have called someone over to the house for private lessons. "

Doctor John of Malabar Gold by the way gives lessons ... just $1,400. for three day hands on seminar .. he does not make house calls so add travel and lodging ect.. Anyone interested ?

"I ask them if they even like espresso drinks."

Many of my guest like espresso drinks ... straight espresso is a bit leaner demand.

Good Day ...
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Malabar Gold  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29317688942)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+