Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Favorite Online (roasted) Espresso Blends
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Favorite Online...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dwarfcoffee

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Ditting Doserless
Drip: Fetco 2031, Clover, French...
Roaster: 10k Semiac
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:01am
Subject: Re: Favorite Online (roasted) Espresso Blends

yeah I got through alot of coffee, 1/2lb a week for me would be on the low end... I can easily go through 2lbs in a week (especially if it is something I haven't worked with before.)

It does definitely present a problem though.

Dan Streetman
Cuvee Coffee Roasting Company
Austin, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
alanmushnick
alanmushnick
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, gaggia espresso
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Krups aroma control
Roaster: I still don't do this.
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 4:14am
Subject: Re: Freezing  Favorite Online (roasted) Espresso Blends

I keep a few days worth in a small airtight container or bags like the ones you get from espressovivace. The rest, I keep in the freezer. To me, this preserves the freshness, and when I use the coffee days or a couple of weeks later, I still get great crema and taste.
While I don't mind spending for the coffee, by ordering a few pounds at a time, I can bundle the shipping charges.
What is the supposed downside of freezing?

Alan

Alan Mushnick
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 11:11am
Subject: Re: Freezing  Favorite Online (roasted) Espresso Blends

oops, Alan, I'm sorry that I spoke beyond my own personal experience when I said that I thought freezing roasted beans was frowned upon.  BUT, it is an impression that I have brought away with me from reading here at cg.c.  Maybe I have mis-represented what I have gleaned.  I hope thems that knows will fill in with their experience on the subject.  

Susan
 View Profile Link to this post
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 11:41am

Susan -

I use vacuum freezing with excellent results.  You're right that many people frown on freezing beans, but they either 1) have never actually tried vacuum freezing, or 2) have much finer taste sensitivity that I do.  I simply cannot taste any ill effect for periods up to about 6 weeks, and the freshness of the beans is definitely preserved at very near peak level.

You will definitely hear different opinions, but all that matters is what you taste.  I would encourage you to experiment with different beans, and vacuum freeze as necessary.
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:53pm

All righty then, I'm gonna do just that.

But, cafedj, what exactly is "vacuum freezing"?  Is that the process of putting the beans directly into mason jars and then freezing? with just the ball-dome lids, or the special vacuum lids I've seen advertised?  or do you use those vags with the out-gassing gizmos?  
And, you are right on the money about taste sensitivity;  mine probably doesn't match the levels referred to by many of the geekers hereabouts.  Probably freezing wouldn't bother my receptors unless it severely degraded the taste, and I get it now that that isn't the case, and I just might best try it myself to see...

Thanx
Big_Easy51
Big_Easy51
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra MicroCasa...
Grinder: La Cimblai Junior
Drip: Presto Scandinavian Design
Roaster: Soon...very soon
Posted Sun Feb 5, 2006, 7:53pm

Barefoot's Element 114
Intelligentsia's Black Cat

I'm trying other new ones all the time, but these two are consistently wonderful.

"Coffee is not, after all, a matter of national security or life and death.  It is MUCH more important than that."
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
cpl593h
cpl593h

Posted Tue Feb 7, 2006, 8:15pm

I had a chance to visit Barefoot for the first time on Saturday. I took some Element 114 home and I'm really happy with it. It's really a dense blend.

I also ordered some Daterra Reserve and Ambrosia from Caffe Fresco and pulled some shots today a week out of roast... holy cow this stuff is amazing! The descriptions on the website (www.caffeefresco.us) are very accurate.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
alsterling
alsterling

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2006, 11:22pm

SJM Said:

It seems that freezing beans is much frowned upon.

Posted January 28, 2006 link

OK then...... regarding freezing and frowning.

I spoke with a noted coffee importer and supplier this week. I'm working on a commercial business scheduled for late '06, early '07. Knowing his scientific approach to espresso, I asked him about how I might store his beans during our evaluation period. He recommended I order my 5 pound minimums in 1 pound paks rather than bulk. (it's a little more $$$)  If I can't use all the bags within the week following roasting/shipping, then freeze them. When ready to use, pull it from the freezer and give it 12 hours to defrost at room temp before using. While it obviously isn't recommended over consuming within a week of roasting, it is a recommended option; at least recommended by a roaster known for his attention to the quantiative-scientific analysis of the espresso process. If he says its a viable option, then I'm buying in.

Regarding an option for faster comsumption; I've taken the opportunity to serve "ANYONE WHO ENTERS OUR HOUSE" to one of my espressos or capuccinos. I go through 1 to 2 pounds a week, giving free samples to my wife's card playing group, up until Saturday to prospective home buyers that have come over with their agents to look at our house. However, we sold it on Saturday and it's in escrow......so maybe I'll start dispensing my samples at garage sales for the next couple weeks? We did a Super Bowl party and I cranked out as many caps and espressos to the group as I might have in a very small cafe......which was alot for me on my Expobar Pulsar Office! ..........just a thought? When you get really good and stuff.........start charging!

Best, Al in SoCal

alsterling: lunchbreak.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
Bman

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Nope, Bodum Press
Drip: Not any more
Roaster: I-Roast, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 9, 2006, 9:00am

Alan, is La Colombe in Philly by chance?  If it is the one I am thniking about they do have good espresso.

I like SM's Classic and Kadir,

Paradise Classico, their service is great

Brad
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Feb 14, 2006, 11:30pm

I recently posted as to the terrific espresso from Metropolis Roasters ("Redline")...
I be remiss if I didn't also mention the espresso blends from Cafe Fresco ("Ambrosia"), "Espresso Classico" from Paradise Roasters, and "Black Cat" from Intellegentsia...in addition, the people behind these wonderful coffees are just as wonderful....and unbelievably commited to bringing us the best.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 3 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Favorite Online...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.258640050888)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+