Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
My "Go To" Blend (or Fall Back Blend)
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > My "Go To" Blend...  
view previous topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2002, 11:03pm
Subject: My "Go To" Blend (or Fall Back Blend)

I usually do a ton of experimenting with blends to try and hone my fairly poor blending, cupping, and coffee sensory abilities (a cupper I ain't), but every once in a while I "fall back" or "go to" an old standby that I hit on about a year or two ago, and always come back to. Here it is (note some interchangeables)

25% Chocolate style bean, be it Maui Moka (sigh), Yemen Mocha, that amazing (and gone) Jacmel Mme Alix crop, or similar - chocolate has to be the primary note. Roasted to Full City

25% Medium Bright coffee - like a Guat Antigua (my old standby). Roasted to Full City Plus / Light French

25% Java Old Government estate - roasted to full city.

15% Monsooned Malabar Roasted to full city

10% Kaapi Royale Robusta roasted to a very light french.

I get heaps and heaps and heaps of luscious crema with this blend, and the mix of beans seems almost perfect to my palate. I roast the 25% portions in an Alp (or the Hottop), and the Malabar and Kaapi in a HWP.

This blend has been mondo good to me over the years. Finding the suitable chocolate is hard (and when I used Maui Moka, I had to roast it all in the HWP - the bean is too small for the Alp or HT). It has to be a "serious impact" chocolate bean.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
La_Maudite
La_Maudite
Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hario Deco-5
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2002, 2:26pm
Subject: Re: My "Go To" Blend (or Fall Back Blend)

that amazing (and gone) Jacmel Mme Alix crop

Please tell us more. Gone as in passed away? Gone as in beans not available anymore? Gone as you have to order more?

Terry M. recently generously sent me a sample of green beens and it included a bag from this crop. I will try it next week.

Carl Robitaille, a.k.a. La_Maudite.
MarkPrince

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2002, 4:27pm

Terry M wrote about this bean type and that special crop from a year ago here:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/columnists/terrym/04-29-2002

Cheers

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
La_Maudite
La_Maudite

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2002, 9:21pm

CoffeeKid Said:

Terry M wrote about this bean type and that special crop from a year ago here:

Posted June 28, 2002 link

Thanks for the link, but I already read it. After reading this article and your posts in alt.coffee about that coffee (that's what Terry M suggested on the bag ;-) I feel priviledged that Terry M gave me some to try.

But my question was more about your "all gone" statement. Is there going to be future crops? Or were you saying that your supply is all gone? ;-)

MarkPrince

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2002, 10:04pm

Oops, sorry for the confusion.

There was something special about that Mme Alix crop and the way it was picked and sorted. It looked (in green) like a complete mishmash of bean types, even more so than your typical Yemen does. Sorting and finishing was all over the map. They were still "learning" how to sort etc with that crop.

The thing is, this learning created an amazing bean batch that as a "single bean", was one of the few I've immensely enjoyed as espresso (normally you have to blend for espresso - the mishmash of sorting and finishes on the Mme Alix crop was almost like a "blend" in its own)

I bought 5lbs of the next year's crop (which came available around Christmas and January), and well, it's not the same. It's more even, better finished, and as a single bean in coffee brewing, it's great. But no longer so as a single bean espresso.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
La_Maudite
La_Maudite

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2002, 10:17pm

CoffeeKid Said:

Oops, sorry for the confusion.

Posted June 28, 2002 link

Probably my english writing... euh... "style" that brought the confusion :-)

Thanks for the info.

coffeebeing
coffeebeing
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro,Silvia,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,Rocky,Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama,Cafetino,Silex
Drip: Cusinart Brew Central,...
Roaster: Cafe Rosto, Hearthware...
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2002, 2:09pm

CoffeeKid Said:

I usually do a ton of experimenting with blends to try and hone my fairly poor blending, cupping, and coffee sensory abilities (a cupper I ain't), but every once in a while I "fall back" or "go to" an old standby that I hit on about a year or two ago, and always come back to. Here it is (note some interchangeables)

Mark

Posted June 27, 2002 link

I haven't been doing this for as long but my fallback, lazy(I cheat a little) blend is 2/3 SweetMarias Monkey Blend and 1/3 Sumatran (Lately Lake Tawar).  I'll occasionally throw in a tiny bit of a bright bean but most times it's just those 2.

George W.
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2002, 3:56pm

coffeebeing Said:

I haven't been doing this for as long but my fallback, lazy(I cheat a little) blend is 2/3 SweetMarias Monkey Blend and 1/3 Sumatran (Lately Lake Tawar).  I'll occasionally throw in a tiny bit of a bright bean but most times it's just those 2.

Posted June 29, 2002 link

Yeah. I don't have a go to blend, but I do have a "lazy" one -- 50% Mocha Kadir roasted to a dry full city for balanced chocolate & berry + 50 % Malabar Gold roasted to a slightly oily full city for the kick. I've been making it since I was a roasting newbie, and it still stands up quite well.

A "lazy version of Mark's go to" would be the old Berkeley roaster standby, an antigua/mandheling preblend, mixed with Malabar Gold.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
coffeebeing
coffeebeing

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro,Silvia,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,Rocky,Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama,Cafetino,Silex
Drip: Cusinart Brew Central,...
Roaster: Cafe Rosto, Hearthware...
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2002, 4:31pm

another_jim Said:

A "lazy version of Mark's go to" would be the old Berkeley roaster standby, an antigua/mandheling preblend, mixed with Malabar Gold.

What is that Berkely roaster preblend?  Something you make by combining an Antigua and a Mandheling and then roasting or is it a commercial thing?

George W.
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2002, 7:12pm

coffeebeing Said:

What is that Berkely roaster preblend?  Something you make by combining an Antigua and a Mandheling and then roasting or is it a commercial thing?

Exactly, the two beans roast at the same rate, so they can be premixed. The big advantage of that is you can use any proportion you like. I like roughly 1/3 antigua 2/3 Sumatra, but vary that according to the specific greens I have. It's a good base for a milk drink blend because of it's very assertive roast flavors.

I discovered years ago, mixing bags of storebought coffee, that the two beans have a flavor synergy. I've heard since then that Peets', Starbucks and almost all roasters who got their start with Peets have a version, and that it goes back to their early days.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > My "Go To" Blend...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310950040817)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+