Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Blends
Paradise Roasters
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Paradise...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2004, 10:37am
Subject: Re: Paradise Roasters

Hi Miguel,

I heard that you are coming to Chicago this weekend for the GLRBC.  Are you going to bring some of your signature espresso blend?  If you are, I will buy some, maybe 2 lb.  If not, no biggie...

Cheers,

Steve
 View Profile Link to this post
MiguelM
MiguelM
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: none any more, Moka Pot...
Grinder: a couple of Bunn's and some...
Vac Pot: dreaming of a Hario
Drip: technivorm, chemex, fetco
Roaster: Ambex 2Kg, Diedrich 12Kg,...
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2004, 11:08am

Yeah I'll be there. I'd be more than happy to bring you some of my espresso. I'll even bring you a little sample of an expiramental espresso blend i'm working on. A little darker, still haven't decided if i'll end up selling it or not. Look forward to seeing you in Chicago.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2004, 11:27am

Miguel,

Thanks...I'll be there on both Saturday and Sunday, and I look forward to meet you.  I am a Chinese guy with eyeglasses, it won't be hard to spot me. I guess...

Cheers,

Steve
zakglass
zakglass
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Macap M4; Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Mon Jan 10, 2005, 9:21am
Subject: Re: Paradise Roasters - New Blend

I tried Miguel's new Paradise Espresso Nuevo this weekend. Freaking amazing.

Shots were brilliant, dark, thick crema. Seemed really well balanced. There's a bit of brightness, but it's really well offset with some really rich flavors - every shot I pulled was great, even when they ran shorter or longer than I would have liked. Compared to my everyday Zoka, the Paradise was definitely more extreme on either end of the taste spectrum - more nutty, rich, chocloatey at the first taste, more bright and wine-y at the finish. Way way more complex than any other blend I've tried. Wow.

I'm not a roaster, so I can't get all that specific about the level of roast. It was somewhat darker than the previous Paradise Espresso I've had, but still lighter than others I've tried: Intelligentsia, Zoka, or Stumptown.

If this is possible, it seemed a bit more finicky about shot times than the Zoka (maybe due to lighter roast)? A click on the Macap makes about a 2 second shot difference on the Zoka, but it seemed to make a 3-4 second difference on the Nuevo. I may just still be getting used to it. Opened the bag on Frinday and I'll be out by tomorrow.

This is definitely hurry-up-and-get-done-with-work- so-I-can-go-home-and-make-a-shot coffee.

-e.
CremaPhile
CremaPhile
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Innova I2
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Mar 28, 2005, 5:33pm

Just recieved a 1/2 pound each of the Paradise classico and nuevo.  I live in California, ordered Thursday recieved today (monday).  Impressed by delivery time (USPS priority evelope).  Just pulled a couple shots of the Classico.  Very impressed.  As others have noted, its a really light roast level.  In fact, it grinds to about the color of dog doo, a really light golden brown, about the lightest color-wise I've ever seen from an espresso blend.  I happen to prefer many light roasts over overly-dark roasts, but i'm generally not a big fan of overly sweet light roasts (i.e. barefoot sweetness).  This is not too sweet at all, but very balanced and intensely flavorful, with a nice full-bodied syrupy consistency.  Havn't tried the nuevo yet, but will report back when i do.  Overall I'm very impressed with the quickness of delivery and quality of product.  Thanks Miguel!
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
nmayweather

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Mon Mar 28, 2005, 7:28pm

has anyone made a good ristretto off of either?

i tried, and failed, many times

the beans are a week old now, and still seem too 'fresh' - lots of co2

i made a regular, and it came out good, but i prefer ristrettos, and haven't been able to get the texture or taste of one from either
MiguelM
MiguelM
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: none any more, Moka Pot...
Grinder: a couple of Bunn's and some...
Vac Pot: dreaming of a Hario
Drip: technivorm, chemex, fetco
Roaster: Ambex 2Kg, Diedrich 12Kg,...
Posted Tue Mar 29, 2005, 7:02am

nmayweather, i'm surprised you haven't had luck with ristrettos. Both work quite well as ristrettos and I prefer the Classico as a ristretto stopped at about 3/4 oz in 25 seconds.

1. Miguel Meza
    Paradise Roasters
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nmayweather

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:27pm

MiguelM Said:

nmayweather, i'm surprised you haven't had luck with ristrettos. Both work quite well as ristrettos and I prefer the Classico as a ristretto stopped at about 3/4 oz in 25 seconds.

Posted March 29, 2005 link

The Classico never seemed to have degassed enough, even by day 8.  Everything that came out was rather CO2 charged, with a slightly fermented taste (most of which was mitigated by pulling shots on a coarser grind.  With a fine grind though, more co2 was apparent)
The Neuvo was similar, but to a much less extent.

I was rather heartbroken.  I tried a few beans, and they were by far the tastiest ones i've sampled in a while.  The didn't want to play nice with the expobar though.

When I finally wire the venus with the pid sitting in the drawer, I'll have to order a second sampling.
CremaPhile
CremaPhile
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Innova I2
Drip: French Press
Posted Tue Mar 29, 2005, 2:18pm

So I tried the Nuevo later on last night and liked it even more than the classico.  A bit darker, and more subtle.  The initial taste was a bit more straight-forward than the immediate brightness of the classico, but the the finish was surprisingly more complex.  The aftertaste seemed to linger in my mouth all afternoon.  Really nice.  Both had really nice thick mouthfeels, and they pretty much pulled nice ristrettos on their own, without me even trying.  My first shot of the classico was a bit too overextracted which brought out a bit too much sweet/sourness, but once I got it dialed in correctly it made for a heavenly ristretto.  My only disappointment with the nuevo was that when I used it for a capp, the milk really seemed to neutralize the flavor too much for my taste.  It really masked all of the subtleties of the espresso and made for a really sweet, non-intrusive capp, which may be great for some people, but not me.  I havn't tried the classico in a capp yet.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ristrettobabe
ristrettobabe
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Anfim Self
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Never
Posted Tue Mar 29, 2005, 3:27pm

Check this thread out for more comments and impressions on the Classico...click here

kathy

And that's a cold shot, baby...Yeah that's a drag
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > blends > Paradise...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26203417778)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+